Abel to Yzerman

What Will The Wings Do With Their Two First Round Picks Tonight? What Do You Want Them To Do?

Detroit has the 6th and 22nd pick in the 1st round of the NHL Draft tonight, 8pm ET on ESPN2, SN, SN NOW, and TVAS.

So this is a two part question, feel free to answer one, both or none.

What will the Wings do with their first round picks tonight and/or what do you want them to do?

No rules to this, have some fun and let's drop the puck (in 83 days).

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

Ha!  I couldn’t even begin to take a guess - just no clue what different organizations look for and see in these different players.  Tonight I will have no expectations, that way I won’t be let down.

Although I honestly did have a dream last night that the Wings traded up for the second pick…

Posted by TreKronor on 07/23/21 at 09:24 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie’s final draft rankings if you need some help.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/23/21 at 09:30 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I know what I want them to do with them, but who knows.  Yzerman is a cagey dude.  By this time tomorrow we might have Power, Beniers and whoever our 6th pick is, and everyone will be scratching their heads wondering what just happened while thanking Yzerman at the same time.

But seriously, I’m hoping we take Eklund and somehow trade up to get Cossa.  Its really unclear how far up they would have to move to get him though.  Sounds like several teams have him rated top 10 or close to it.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/23/21 at 09:33 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I will say, I think the Wings would take Eklund if he is available - he seems to fit the Detroit mold.  But who knows.  I do wonder if Stevie will steer the org away from the Swedes/Fins and more towards the Russians.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/23/21 at 09:37 AM ET

Paul's avatar

My dream about 1:45am today, Buffalo offers Eichel and the #1 pick for Larkin and Detroit’s #6.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/23/21 at 09:41 AM ET

I’m hoping for Eklund but I’m preparing myself for the Wings to take someone no one has ranked that high (maybe Kent Johnson?).  This draft is going to be fun because nobody has a clue where these guys are going to go or how teams’ boards are shaping up moreso than a normal year.
The second 1st rounder…no clue.  Maybe Fabian Lysell, Cossa, Raty?
I just keep telling myself that we’re going to get a great player no matter how the first 5 go.

Posted by Them Bones on 07/23/21 at 10:02 AM ET

I don’t think he will, but I really hope Brennan Othmann falls to #22. I go to a lot of Flint Firebirds games and this kid is going to be great. He’s being compared to Landeskog in some of the mock drafts, I’m not sure that’s a fair comparison, but he goes to the hard areas and drives the net.

If not Othmann, then I hope Cossa drops. He’s raw, but at 6’ 6” he fills a lot of net. Into round 2, I think we should select Kirby Dach before Chicago does.

As for the 6th, I’m fine with any of the available players in the top 10, or I’d be fine with trading it along with the likes of a Fabbri to Buffalo for Sam Reinhart or maybe add in Vrana and go for Eichel, not sure I’d be willing to give up Larkin though.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/23/21 at 10:37 AM ET

What I’ve liked about the Yzerman era thus far, I mean I don’t think he’s some genius GM, at least not yet, he’s good, knows how to build, puts the right people in place obviously.  Thats all great.  I’d love for him to bring in some fresh guy, I mean, I really do love how Dubas has been handling Toronto… as much as I hate it.

But what I love best is we’ve returned to taking high ceiling guys.  Especially since we have lots of darts.  We used to do that, but sometime during the Wright and co era, we started taking size, performance (not potential) guys…. So many missed chances, especially in the first round over that time frame.  So regardless who gets taken, Im hopefully they will take who they see as being the highest potential to have a high ceiling, not necessarily who looks the best right now.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/23/21 at 10:46 AM ET

My prediction is Eklund or if he is gone, Mactsvish

22nd pick I have a feeling we will trade down if Cossa is gone before 19 and will trade up if he lasts till 19 for Oilers.

I would not trade Larkin for Eichel in any scenario

I would trade Fabbri and #6 for Eichel, but that’s not going to be enough

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 10:47 AM ET

As for Eichel, I will say, based on some of the guys available, I did ponder the scenario where we decided to start going for it now.  IF you could get Eichel without including Seider.. (I’m on the fence about Raymond in this scenario), with the knowledge you could also sign Landeskog or Tarasenko… one or two guys in their prime years…. You’ve now got a pretty good team with Eichel, Larkin down the middle, some solid wingers in Vrana, Landeskog, Bert, Fabbri, etc…. If you made a couple bold moves like that, would we be in contention conversation?  The core would still be… youngish….but its a dream lol.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/23/21 at 11:11 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I am thinking this draft goes sideways with teams not picking who they were expected to pick. Steve hasn’t picked who I thought they would yet so I don’t expect a change.

I like aggressive physical players so I like McTavish over smaller perimeter players that disappear in the playoffs. Cossa at 22 or earlier if they can move up cheap.

I expected a move again today taking a cap relief player for a pick but there is still time. Then again why help them yet when you can feast on the UFAs no one else can afford and help them later for picks in next years better scouted draft.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/23/21 at 11:25 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Originally I wanted Wallstedt at #6, but the mega-info that d_ca provided changed my mind about that. Now I really, really want Yzerman to find a way to get Hughes.

But will the Devils really pass up the chance to have two of the Hughes brothers on their roster? And if they do, will Columbus pass on Hughes with the whole Setth Jones issue up in the air? So if it’s not Hughes, I’ll be happy with whoever the Wings pick.

As for the #22 pick, if Yzerman can’t move up enough to get Cossa, Carson Lambos looks pretty good (although McKenzie ranks him at #21). Craig Button describes him as a “smooth skating defenceman who can play fast and quick yet with a real calm and composure to his game. Handles pressure in all areas very well.” • Projection: Top 3, Strong Skating Defenceman • Comparable: Nick Leddy

The comparable is kind of interesting. Is that why Steve got Leddy?  smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/23/21 at 11:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Darren Dreger on Buffalo radio this morning says Vancouver will to move their pick, #9, just something to watch for later tonight.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/23/21 at 11:29 AM ET

VPalmer.
I think Vrana (or Bert), Veleno and #6 overall MIGHT be enough.

Next season our centers would be
Eichel
Larkin
Rasmussen
Pearson

assuming we don’t sign any free agents. I think Glendenning will be back simply because he’s right handed. A Tampa cap dump of Johnson would be out of the question with Eichel.

Bert - Eichel - Raymond
Zadina - Larkin - Ryan (or veteran RH UFA place holder)
Namestikov - Rasmussen - Berggren (or Svechnikov, whoever wins in camp)
Smith - Pearson - Erne

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/23/21 at 11:31 AM ET

#6 - Mason McTavish or Luke Hughes

#22 - Fedor Svechkov…but I think he’ll be off the board by then.

I suspect that Yzerman may trade up using the 22nd pick & ??  The L.A. Kings (#8) have said they’re open to moving down the draft board.

Posted by CaptNemo on 07/23/21 at 11:35 AM ET

With Eichel and Landeskog we are a playoff team. To become a contender we will need much better defense imo.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 11:41 AM ET

The Wings need centres who can put the puck in the net and lefthand defensemen. With Eichel’s injury, I would not even consider trading for him.

Posted by CaptNemo on 07/23/21 at 11:55 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/23/21 at 09:41 AM ET

Wow, interesting. Paul would you mind diving into why you think Eichel is worth the risk? I know you want a number one center, but why Eichel?

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/23/21 at 11:55 AM ET

Paul's avatar

dd, like many, I want a #1 center, but not Eichel.  It was a dream, a bad one at that.

NYR asked Sabres for Eichel’s medical records a few weeks ago, they still have not received them.

I stay away with anything with Eichel’s name in it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/23/21 at 11:58 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/23/21 at 11:58 AM ET

Oh okay. You had me going. If Eichel was healthy that trade would be tempting.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/23/21 at 12:03 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I would definitely be willing to take on Eichel if it didn’t mean Larkin going to BUF.  IMHO if you do that trade, you improve nothing down the middle depth-wise, you don’t gain anything.  Eichel is probably better than Larkin, but then who’s #2 still?  It’s problematic.

I think Eichel is out of the question anyways.

I have no idea what DET does with the picks.  Being at only #6 with no stand-outs I’m not gonna’ lie, seems ripe to trade down and acquire more picks.  I would have pushed hard for a goalie before, but with the trade for Ned now I think it’s less of a concern, you don’t need to necessarily take that risk now unless Yzerman and Co REALLY like a guy.

Maybe we’re looking at this all wrong and Yzerman trades #6 in some deal for a stud d-man to accelerate things.  That, to me, would accelerate things more than anything.  Improve that group in front of Greiss and Ned.  If you put some of the kids in at forward on the roster having rid the forward group of the older deadweight, you’re already improved your scoring pop IMO.

Otherwise, whoever they take #6 is probably 2 or 3 years off anyways. If we really feel this year or next are the key pivot years, they’re maybe better off trading it instead of waiting and hoping.

Whatever he does at this point I trust Yzerman.

Posted by Primis on 07/23/21 at 12:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I stay away with anything with Eichel’s name in it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area

Amen, brother. And there is no way in hell I’d ever give up Vrana in a deal for Eichel. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him score more goals than Eichel this coming year - even if Eichel’s back isn’t an issue.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/23/21 at 12:17 PM ET

Bert - Eichel - Raymond

I think there is like 10% chance Raymond will start in Detroit this season and he is not a first line winger yet. He might become one day and we all hope he does, but I would say in 2 -3 years maybe.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 12:19 PM ET

That’s some inside knowledge right there!

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 12:21 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Asking price for Reinhart is a 1st round pick and a prospect per Friedman on Vancouver radio.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/23/21 at 12:38 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

No Eichel please. He wouldn’t be any happier in Detroit. Its a circus following him right now.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/23/21 at 12:43 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

1. BUF—Power
2. SEA—Berniers

Picking 3-7 ***confused screaming***

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/23/21 at 12:49 PM ET

Asking price for Reinhart is a 1st round pick and a prospect

I would do it for 23 and mid prospect

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 01:23 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Asking price for Reinhart is a 1st round pick and a prospect

I would do it for 23 and mid prospect

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 01:23 PM ET

Heck ya! In a heartbeat

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/23/21 at 01:47 PM ET

You guys are nuts! smile  With a huge asterix on this becuase the medicals… Eichel is a top 10, maybe top 5 C in the league when healthy (especially with decent linemates).  Now, with the medicals AND the cost Buffalo is asking… it seems pretty insane.  But if the cost is 1rst rounder, and a high end prospect… I’d consider it.  But two picks, two prospects or whatever they heck they were asking seemed insane.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/23/21 at 01:48 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I find it best not to get my heart set on this kid or that kid.  I’ll just trust Stevie.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 07/23/21 at 01:49 PM ET

Same Figaro.  Any of the guys I’ve read about (or if SY goes off board), seem to have decent enough upside to be excited down the road a few years.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/23/21 at 01:55 PM ET

Mock drafts are all over the place as we know. Out of curiosity I read a mock draft by one of the two top Russian sports newspapers. Their top 5 are Powers, Eklund, Beniers, Clark and McTavish. Edvinssom 7th, Hughes 13th.
Detroit selects Johnson and Cossa.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 02:03 PM ET

I’d love to see a trade for Jake Bean…. in the other article, rumor is second round pick?  He seems to have fallen out of favour, and to be honest, haven’t seen him play much since knowing about his potential… reclamation project?

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/23/21 at 02:22 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Detroit selects Johnson and Cossa.

Id be pretty happy with that outcome.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/23/21 at 02:28 PM ET

Knew this was a pop quiz.

I fully expect the Wings draft team to stay put.  Really.  After the deals that Yzerman made this past summer (including re-signing Rasmussen to a team-friendly deal that’s still a raise for him), no one’s gonna take his call at the draft table.  He’s gonna make them come to him, IMO.  They would have to offer him an unbelievable package for the #6 pick.

As far as what I would want him to do is give up his two fourth round picks from this year for Sam Reinhart (and take on his full $5 million salary) and a ‘22 first round pick from BUF.  That’s it.  That’s my hope for this year’s draft.  Probably not gonna happen, but BUF gets two more picks this year and I think that’s hard to ignore.  One can hope…

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/23/21 at 02:42 PM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

I hope they stay away from goalies in the first round, just too unpredictable IMO. I’m excited to see who slides to Stevie

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 07/23/21 at 05:48 PM ET

I hope they stay away from goalies in the first round,

I personally think Cossa at 22 is a no brained. Wallstad at 6 too early.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/23/21 at 05:58 PM ET