Abel to Yzerman

What Do The Wings Do With The #8 Pick Tomorrow Night?

The NHL Draft starts Thursday night (7pm on ESPN, ESPN+, Sportsnet and TVAs) with round 1 and continued on Friday (11am on NHL Network, Sportsnet and TVAs) with rounds 2-7.

This is the day to tell us who will the Wings draft at #8 or will they move up or down with a trade?

To help you out...

Bob McKenzie's Final Draft Rankings, the same with Sportsnet and Central Scouting.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Play with this and have fun.

Works best on my iphone when I switch to desktop mode.

I keep picking Gauthier or Snuggerud but its very open to crazy in the first round.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/06/22 at 10:12 AM ET

Same players going second or 16th in different outlets, it’s crazy

Posted by VPalmer on 07/06/22 at 10:36 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I haven’t paid any attention to this year’s draft crop.  There are probably several considered top picks, but by #8 it will be wide open and they’ll pick who they consider is the best overall player, and history shows the brain trust can be full of surprises.  So I’ll just wait and see.

Posted by RWBill on 07/06/22 at 10:43 AM ET

If Savoie is there at 8, he’s the one I covet.

If not, my fantasy is flipping #8 to Buffalo for #16 and #28. There should be some solid talent left at #16, and Yzerman can maybe take a bigger swing with #28, if Ivan Miroschnichenko is still on the board. Or else you can take Lane Hutson.

Posted by GMoney on 07/06/22 at 10:56 AM ET

We need to hit on some guys outside the first round…..

Posted by pnwwing on 07/06/22 at 10:58 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

No clue, but given the promise of Edvisson and Seider I’m willing to bet we pick a forward, probably a center.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/06/22 at 11:23 AM ET

If we stay at eight my pick would be Marco Kaspar. Some might see it as a reach but if there is a prospect that has what Steve Yzerman is looking for, skill work ethic and desire to improve its Marco. From everything I’ve read he is what the Red Wings look for in a player and he matches our needs as well as anyone. Cutter would be my second choice. If both are gone take one of the two top D in the draft.

Posted by Goalie dad on 07/06/22 at 11:27 AM ET

I like Kasper too, but the fact that so many people think he is Yzerman’s pick makes me think he’s going to go the other way.

I keep thinking he’s going to go off the board like with the Seider pick in 2019, but when you look at 2020 and 2021, Yzerman made the “obvious” pick then, so who knows?

Posted by GMoney on 07/06/22 at 11:32 AM ET

Kasper is definitely rumored as a pick, but I’ve been reading he is a great character guy, hard worker, 200 feet player, but only projected to be a third line center, maybe second, but it’s a stretch. While he will be a very safe pick, I would prefer the guy with the higher ceiling. Savoie is compared to Barzal and that’s more exciting for me.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/06/22 at 11:45 AM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

I would like to see the pick added to a trade package to bring in a top talent because there seems to be quite a few players out there looking for a change of scenery. And im not completely sold on anyone in that range. It’s not like last year where there was plenty of talent in the top 10

But knowing how SY operates (build through draft) I think you take the best player available in that range, assuming no one drops. IMO that would be Gauthier or Savoie.

Not sure on Kasper. Watched some highlights and wasn’t that impressed. Think he might turn into a Veleno type player. 3rd line centerish

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/06/22 at 11:54 AM ET

I like Savoie, Kemell, Lekkerimäki and Gauthier in that order. I agree that with a top 10 pick you need to take a player with the highest ceiling. And hey, who knows, if one those 2 stud defencemen fall to 8…

Posted by godblender on 07/06/22 at 12:14 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by Goalie dad on 07/06/22 at 11:27 AM

I really like Kasper as well. He is only 17, he has size and skill and has been has been playing well against men.

I also like Savoie. I think he has a lot of different weapons in his young arsenal.

Lots of good choices.

Go Wings!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/06/22 at 12:46 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Best player available, but Yzerman has some tricks up his sleeve. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 07/06/22 at 01:34 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Some guy on some hockey forum that picked Seider a couple years ago has Noah Östlund going this year, so that’ll be something if that happens.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/06/22 at 01:45 PM ET

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/06/22 at 01:45 PM ET

There’s genuinely nothing that Yzerman could do tomorrow that would surprise me.

Posted by GMoney on 07/06/22 at 01:51 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

After reading everyone’s comments, I took a closer look at the evaluations on both mynhldraft.com and lines.com of those listed below. Those two sites projected draft positions are in parenthesis.

Jonathan Lekkerimaki • C/RW • 5’11” • 172lbs
  • mynhldraft.com (#8)
  • lines.com (#7)

Marco Kasper • C • 6’1” • 183lbs
  • mynhldraft.com (#13)
  • lines.com (#11)

Matthew Savoie • C/RW • 5’9” (or 5’10”) • 181lbs
  • mynhldraft.com (#9)
  • lines,com (#9)

Personally, I’m sold on Savoie for two reasons. One, he’s not a “slight” 5’9” (or 5’10” by some accounts). He’s a solid 181lbs. And two, in spite of his height-to-weight ratio, he’s described as being one of the fastest skaters available. That’s huge in today’s game.

In addition, of the 40 CHL players tested at their Sport Testing Combine last March, he finished 1st overall in their skating categories, ending up first in Reaction with Puck, Transition Agility, Weave Agility with Puck, and 30M Forward Skate with Puck. He also ended up fourth in 30M Forward Skate and fifth in Weave Agility. His finish in the last two categories seem to indicate he’s actually a better skater with the puck than without it.

But all of this stuff is just complete guesswork for those of us who don’t get to see these guys play. That’s what will make tomorrow night so much fun – because we’ll get a glimpse into the inscrutable mind of Steve Frickin’ Yzerman. And how cool it that?  grin

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/06/22 at 03:38 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/06/22 at 01:45 PM ET

Hippy,
I totally forgot about Noah. A friend sent me this link a few weeks back:

I do not think he has played in any “mens” leagues but his skills should translate well. Thank you for sharing that.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/06/22 at 03:49 PM ET

d ca's avatar

This topic is so in-depth…there are so many variables…I can’t cover them all but I wanted to highlight some.

I think the pick should comes down to 3 years + whatever is left of the summer from now what will your team look like. And for the Wings I think that will have a huge impact on what I want to happen with the pick.

Skipping what is currently on the team in terms of NHL players—with one crevasse—players under 23 are considered prospects as they still should have upside. Players 23 and generally considered to have hit their ceiling. However, COVID seasons may extend this development timeframe. Zadina is 22 and turns 23 in Nov. If he has however peaked, Zadina is a middle six winger at best. That makes him expendable as there is a logjam of wingers there. Joe Veleno looks like a bottom six centre.

The other point I want to make is that Rasmussen is not a centre. That experiment failed. If last year’s play wasn’t enough. Acquiring a 2nd line centre this summer should all but end the issue. He’s a much better player on the RW.

With those said, you have to know what is currently on the team in terms of NHL projections: I think everyone is familiar with LD Edvinsson and G Cossa—both could be difference makers. So I will focus on the others:

LW Jonatan Berggren projects as a middle six forward playmaker (really 3rd line because he’ll have Vrana at LW on the 2nd line and Ras will play RW)
RW Carter Mazur bottom 6
C/LW Theodor Niederbach ( I moved his discussion to below in item b—middle 6 )
Elmer Soderblom (middle 6 RW)
Albert Johansson (2nd/3rd pair LHD)
William Wallinder (3rd pair LHD)
Shai Buium (3rd pair LHD/7th d-man)

Those are the prospects with NHL projections. Could there be others—sure. As you can see I think they are 2nd pair and role players not difference makers like Seider or Raymond. But notice that there are no 1st or 2nd pair centres nor RHD.

That is where this draft is going if the Wings keep their picks.

Looking 3 years into the future to determine the pick, you need to account for:

To me Dylan Larkin will be a 2nd line centre at this point in his career (and one near the top of that designation). Now whether or not he is actually on that 2nd line is a different issue. But that to me is an issue because:
a) the Wings are picking out of the top 5 and the odds of landing that 1st line centre are greatly decreased
b) the Wings already have that 3rd line centre (in fact they have 2 in Pius Suter and Joe Veleno) and they drafted a spare (Theodor Niederbach) As an aside, he had 9G in 51 games but only avg’d 10:53 TOI. Niederbach which obviously made him a bottom 6 forward on Frolunda. He did get to play centre and wing there though. But he’ll be moving to Rogle (same as where Seider played) that is known for giving younger players more TOI. After that he’ll play a year in GR. So ‘24-‘25 at the earliest for Detroit. It would probably be better to start him in the NHL on the wing…even though I see him as that 4th line centre eventually.

So the depth chart in 3 years I see is
(TBD LW)      (TBD C)          Raymond
Vrana           Larkin             Ras
Berggren       Veleno             Soderblom
Fabbri/Mazur   Suter/Niederbach Niederbach/Fabbri

Given that lineup: I make the pick and want to take a LW as I don’t see Savoie or Kaspar as capable of becoming that #1 centre INSIDE the Wings contention window (approx 3-6 years from now). That is why I take Cutter Gauthier or trade down and target Isaac Howard (from Plymouth’s NTDP). Howard played on the U18 in Plymouth as a 16 year old. The Wings could also trade up with that 2nd and target him too.

I just think Savoie & Kasper are 2nd line centres and the Wings already have that position nailed down for the foreseeable future in Larkin. If the Wings went Savoie, I wouldn’t be upset as I think he is like Larkin capable of being a 1st line centre—but more suited as a #2 line guy.

Posted by d ca on 07/06/22 at 04:34 PM ET

——Shai Buium (3rd pair LHD/7th d-man)
——I can’t imagine SY traded up to get him if he only saw 3rd pair ceiling

Posted by VPalmer on 07/06/22 at 04:42 PM ET

d ca: love your in depth, forward thinking analysis.

Posted by exor54 on 07/06/22 at 08:28 PM ET

d ca's avatar

——Shai Buium (3rd pair LHD/7th d-man)
——I can’t imagine SY traded up to get him if he only saw 3rd pair ceiling
Posted by VPalmer on 07/06/22 at 04:42 PM ET

3 years from now in Detroit (hopefully):
1st pair LHD = Edvinsson
2nd pair LHD = Albert Johansson
3rd pair LHD = William Wallinder/ Shai Buium

I give Wallinder the edge for the 3rd pairing.

Where am I wrong?

Should I move Edvinsson down to the 2nd pair and put Johansson and Wallinder as the 3rd pair/ 7th d-man and count on a top pair LHD being acquired in a trade?

Or should I move him down because of Jared McIsaac, Donovan Sebrango, or Eemil Viro who seem more NHL ready having played AHL or the Finnish Elite League?

Should I move him to the right side ahead of 1st pair RHD Seider or 2nd pair (then to be 27 year old) RHD Hronek? Can he play as an off-handed RHD?

He might not be a 3rd pair elsewhere, but in Detroit given their organizational depth and quality of LHD…Buium’s ceiling is 3rd pair.

Posted by d ca on 07/06/22 at 10:53 PM ET