Abel to Yzerman

Videos- The Post Game Talk After Beating Vancouver

First up is Thomas Greiss and below find Mickey Redmond, Marc Staal and Jeff Blashill.  added 10:38pm, game highlights are below.  added 1:02am on 10/17/21, watch the hit on Zadina then the comments fron Zadina...

Highlights

Hit on Zadina

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

How the hell is barely eeking out 20 shots and single digit scoring chances entertaining hockey?  I’m all for them sticking up for each other, but it would be nice if they actually played hockey in between wrestling matches.

Posted by Hootinani on 10/16/21 at 10:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

Zadina left the game in the third period after getting hit hard in the corner by Conor Garland. Zadina headed to the locker room, but returned late in the period.

The Wings consistently went after Garland the rest of the game, and similar to Thursday’s chippy game against Tampa, did not back down physically.

“I appreciate what the boys did there, they stood up for me,” Zadina said. “(We have the) best teammates, a real good team.

“I was reaching for the puck and he (Garland) hit me. He’s a midget. He’s not strong enough to battle in the corner. (It was a) stupid hit.”

Blashill likes the way the Wings have competed and stuck up for each other, when needed, in the early going.

“We have to look after each other and stick up for each other and do that within the context of winning the hockey game,” Blashill said.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/16/21 at 11:44 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

The non puck handling players had more ice time tonight and they were missing Larkin to carry the puck as well. Check the stats in the last article.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/17/21 at 12:01 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Regarding the words from Zadina post game…

from Jackie Spiegel of the Sporting News,

According to the organization, Little People of America, m—t is a derogatory slur. In 2014, the organization released a statement regarding Bengals coach Marvin Lewis calling Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel the m-word.

“The word ‘m—t’ is considered by Little People of America to be an antiquated slang term and is most often used in a derogatory manner toward a shorter than average person, or specifically, a person with a diagnosable skeletal dysplasia or medical condition,” the statement read.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/17/21 at 12:15 AM ET

Zadina should’ve just called Garland cheap or gutless.
A guy take a shot at you when you’re in a vulnerable position
and your feelings are pretty heated. It’s kind of ironic in that
it goes without saying that Garland is a professional athlete in the top
league in the world and is probably close to average height for an NA man.

Zadina is a young guy speaking a language he learned later in life.
I’m sure he intended nothing disparaging to people who actually do
have a medical condition that affects their height or are much smaller in stature!

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/17/21 at 02:34 AM ET

Gtfo.

They have midget hockey.  Stfu.  Bitching to bitch.

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/17/21 at 04:07 AM ET

Paul's avatar

via Sportsnet,

“I’m ok… I was just reaching for the puck and he just reversed me I guess, you know, like the midget like he is,” Zadina said. “It’s pretty normal, you know, that he reversed hit because I don’t think he’s strong enough to battle me in the corner one-on-one.”

It’s unclear if Zadina will be disciplined by the league for his choice of words. The word midget is widely viewed as a slur against people living with dwarfism. In 2019, Hockey Canada stopped using the word—as well as novice, peewee, atom and bantam—to name the different age groups in minor hockey, saying in a statement that “We believe everyone should feel welcome in the game…”

When asked about his role in the play, Garland shrugged it off, saying “it is what it is.”

“I kind of hit the brakes trying to create space. I know there’s a guy behind me,” Garland said. “He skated into my back… I grabbed the puck, I stopped and, like I said, I got a penalty for a hit to the head.

“I hope he’s doing well. I’ve taken plenty of hits to the head over my career. Some end up as nothing, some end up as something serious so I wish him nothing but the best.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/17/21 at 05:59 AM ET

Woke up this morning still feeling as if the Wings lost, instead of won, the puck possession was that lopsided. Wings constantly chasing in their own zone faster skaters, while Vanc does a great job playing ‘keep away’.

Greiss was absolutely phenomenal last night. I hope Ned can take some lessons and shore up his positional play from Greiss to be able to cut down the goals against.

Posted by exor54 on 10/17/21 at 06:44 AM ET

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/17/21 at 01:01 AM ET

Which is what I have been saying will happen.

This will happen no matter if Larkin is in or not.

Look at D stats.  Why is dead weight DDK and Staal playing so much?

Erne and Gagner are the new Glendenning, helm and Abdelsuck. They will continue to see 15+ min per game.

Posted by retrospecd on 10/17/21 at 08:02 AM ET

Preaching find ways to win, they do, and fans are still mad.  We’re projected as a bottom 5 team.  We gonna crap on the team for winning too now?  Give them time. If they were offensive shot suppressing juggernauts that can get into track meets with teams like Tampa,  we’d be the conversation for winning the division.  I don’t get red wing fans, honestly.

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/17/21 at 08:09 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Honestly not sure why they don’t run 3 forward lines and 4 defenseman. Yzerman errrrrrr Blashill traded for and re-signed so much dead weight, why even do they play even?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯