Abel to Yzerman

Videos- Post Practice Talk

Joe Veleno first, Jeff Blashill below.  added 2:09pm, below, find Sam Gagner who was mic'd up for the Blues game on Thanksgiving Eve.

Blashill

Gagner

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The Detroit Red Wings carry a four-game winning streak into their contest against the New York Islanders, whose winless skid hit nine when they returned to play Thursday after pausing to deal with multiple players in COVID-19 protocol….

Leddy plays around 22 minutes a game, including around 1:40 on power plays. He has seven assists in 24 games, and has served as a veteran partner either for 20-year-old Moritz Seider and 24-year-old Filip Hronek.

“Nick has done a good job for us,” coach Jeff Blashill said. “He’s got a really good veteran presence to him. He’s really good with our younger players, or even our middle-aged players, so to speak. He’s just got a good way about him. He’s calm. He helps talk through situations with his partner.

“He’s brought that, and then he’s a dynamic skater. We’re in a spot where we need him to be on top of his game every single night, and he’s getting there.”...

“It’s hard to be a young defenseman in this league,” Blashill said. “The league has gotten younger, certainly, over the last number of years, but the guys who have really been able to make an impact early and helped teams win are forwards. You have some guys like Seider who can help you, but it’s hard to be a young defenseman. There’s a ton of learning that goes along with it.

I’m going to take a break, will try to keep watch later today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/03/21 at 03:27 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Glad you are back and feeling somewhat better. Get some more sleep.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 12/03/21 at 03:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Glad you are back and feeling somewhat better. Get some more sleep.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 12/03/21 at 02:42 PM ET

Seconded.

Posted by RWBill on 12/03/21 at 04:46 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Glad you’re feeling your oats again, Paul! Or closer to them, anyway…

Is there a games-played threshold before Veleno has to clear waivers to go to GR (should that eventuality arise) this year? Or is that a next year problem?

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 05:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“This is a big opportunity,” Veleno said. “I’ve had some chances in the past and this year to kind of showcase what I can do.

“I think I’ve built that confidence in some of the games. I’ve shown myself that I’m able to play at this level. I think it’s just bringing it every day and every single game, not taking any days off. I just got to prove it every single night.”

Veleno, the 30th pick in 2018, skated at wing on the second line, with Pius Suter and Zadina in practice.

Veleno has had three stints in Detroit but hasn’t played more than five consecutive games before being sent back to Grand Rapids or, in the latest case, getting injured. Now, with center Mitchell Stephens (lower-body injury) out until at least February, Veleno can gain traction.

“He’s got better hockey in him than what he’s played so far,” Blashill said. “He had the really good period against Toronto (Oct. 30) where he controlled the puck. I think he’s done a good job at times. When he has the puck on his stick, he can transport from one end to the other and control it. But I think there’s more there and I’m hoping we see that tomorrow night.”

read on

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/03/21 at 06:42 PM ET

He’s still pretty far away from waiver eligibility. He’s 21, 2 years removed from signing his ELC and with only 15 games played. Because he signed his ELC at 19 I believe he needs to be 4 years removed from that or 160 games played.

Posted by beantownredwings on 12/03/21 at 08:48 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Great to have you back Paul. grin

Posted by bigfrog on 12/03/21 at 09:42 PM ET

I’m officially at the point I can’t stand anything that comes out of blashills mouth.  Never speak a bad word on Ras or DK and constantly caveating complimentary words of some players with they need to stay on top of their game or be better.  And the faces he makes kills me.  First thing we teach little wannabe soldiers before we send them downrange, is how to just stand there.  Requires almost 0 discipline.  Just frigging stand there and quit biting shit in your mouth.  It’s all I see anymore is his twitchy fidgety mannerisms.

Posted by ThatGuy on 12/04/21 at 09:52 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by ThatGuy on 12/04/21 at 08:52 AM ET

I guess you and Yzerman value different things.

Posted by RWBill on 12/04/21 at 11:59 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by ThatGuy on 12/04/21 at 08:52 AM ET

I guess you and Yzerman value different things.

Posted by RWBill on 12/04/21 at 10:59 AM ET

To be honest, Bill, I’m not really sure what Yzerman sees in Blashill. There must be something, but I’ll be darned if I can figure out what it is – unless he’s just keeping him around in order to move him into an administrative job at the end of his current contract.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/04/21 at 02:39 PM ET