Abel to Yzerman

The Final Mock Draft From TSN

from Craig Button of TSN,

The final TSN Hockey Mock Draft sees some movement throughout the Top 10, but Michigan’s duo of Owen Power and Matty Beniers aren’t going anywhere.

Power remains the clear choice at the top of the draft with the Buffalo Sabres selecting a defenceman first overall for the second time in four years after Rasmus Dahlin in 2018. The 18-year-old possesses a unique combination of skill, hockey sense and superior size that is comparable to Tampa Bay defenceman Victor Hedman.

At No. 2, Power’s Michigan teammate Matty Beniers becomes the first draft pick in Seattle Kraken history. They would also become the first collegiate players to go 1-2 since Boston University’s Rick DiPietro and Wisconsin’s Dany Heatley in 2000 and the first teammates since Montreal Jr. Canadiens Rejean Houle and Marc Tardif in 1969.

Mason McTavish vaults up from the Ottawa Senators at No. 10 to the New Jersey Devils at No. 4. An offensive player with an accurate shot who competes well in one-on-one battles, McTavish had 11 points in seven games for gold-medal-winner Canada at the U-18 World Championship in May.

At ninth, the Vancouver Canucks get Kent Johnson, a centre who played at left wing this past season and is adaptable up front.

continue for the list.  William Eklund slotted at #6 for the Wings.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Forfit Ure moved up to 11 as well. Should have a chance at being an NHL player some day.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/20/21 at 12:48 PM ET

I’d be thrilled with those options at 6-10.  I’m falling hard for Eklund which means he’ll be there and SY will pass right over him.  I just don’t want that feeling I had when he chose Seider.  I love it now but I don’t think I can stomach it again.

Posted by Them Bones on 07/20/21 at 01:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Kevin Allen of Detroit Hockey Now,

Detroit Hockey Now polled a scout, two general managers,  two broadcasters, four journalists, an ex-NHL player and a former team executive and 54.5% of them think defenseman Troy Stecher will be the Seattle Kraken’s expansion draft pick from Detroit.

Six of the 11 panelists took Stecher. Defenseman Dennis Cholowski received two votes and left wing Evgeny Svechnikov, center Vladimir Namestnikov and Danny Dekeyser received one vote each.

“Cholowski might end being the better player,” said one Stecher supporter. “But he is out of options.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/20/21 at 02:31 PM ET

Is another winger the right move?  I trust Stevie and my prediction is that list of these mock drafts will be very in accurate.  No prediction here but would like to see a goalie with the second first rounder if the play is there.

Posted by SevensForTed on 07/20/21 at 02:31 PM ET

“Most* of these”

Posted by SevensForTed on 07/20/21 at 02:32 PM ET

Posted by SevensForTed on 07/20/21 at 02:31 PM ET

^^^This^^^

Posted by exor54 on 07/20/21 at 02:34 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

“They would also become the first collegiate players to go 1-2 since Boston University’s Rick DiPietro and Wisconsin’s Dany Heatley in 2000 “

Well half of those picks turned out decently.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/20/21 at 02:37 PM ET

If you’re picking #6 you take the player with most talent/highest upside regardless of position. The Wings may lack centers in organizational depth but if Yzerman thinks Eklund has super high-end potential then it’s a good pick. Personally I love what I’ve seen and read about him and don’t think he’ll be available by the time Detroit picks (same with Hughes). That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual draft order ends up not closely resembling the mocks. Players will fall.

I don’t like not protecting Stecher. He’s not going to light the world on fire but was easily one of our best defencemen last season and is well priced. Yzerman will need to find his replacement in free agency along, probably along with another signing. I’m curious about Cholo and what the brass will decide to do with him. His development has not gone as anticipated. Worst case he ends up as depth in GR. Same with Lindstrom. Neither are everyday NHL players. Next seasons D corp might’ve been:

DeKeyser-Hronek
Leddy-Seider
Free agent-Stecher
Free agent #7
Lindstrom/Cholo depth if resigned

Posted by godblender on 07/20/21 at 03:07 PM ET

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/20/21 at 02:31 PM ET

I’d literally pay money to know who said Svechnikov and Dekeyser.

Posted by MZ2215 on 07/20/21 at 03:10 PM ET

No chance they take Dekeyser, but I could see them taking Vlad or Svech. As good as Stetcher, Cholo, and Lindstrom are (or have potential to be) there are way better options at D around the league, it easily pushes each of them to the 6-9 position. Of the three I would guess Stetcher because his game is developed, he’s under contract, and he has trade value.

I’m hedging that Francis takes Bean from Carolina and Hayden Fleury from ANA since he was at the draft table when those guys were selected by the Canes. Both of those are way better options than Cholo or Lindstrom and they also have more value than Stetcher

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/20/21 at 03:21 PM ET

Paul's avatar

NHL regular season schedule will be released on Thursday, 6pm on ESPN Sports Center.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/20/21 at 04:08 PM ET

Is another winger the right move?

Eklund is a natural center. Hes only shifted to wing when he moved up a league. Kind of like Larkin’s first year.

Posted by beantownredwings on 07/20/21 at 06:34 PM ET

Same with Lindstrom.

No way Yzerman protects a guy who he doesn’t anticipate playing with the big club next year.

Posted by beantownredwings on 07/20/21 at 06:36 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, I hope that list holds exactly like it’s laid out - until it’s the Wings’ turn. Then I really, really hope Yzerman takes Hughes.

The Wings already have a number of young forwards with good potential, like Zadina, Vrana, Veleno, Berggren, and Raymond. The only defenseman I’ve heard talked about with the same kind of potential is Seider (with McIsaac a distant second).

Now, having said that, do I think Hughes will be there at #6? It’s not very likely. So I’ll just sit back on Friday with some Jameson’s and some of that now-legal smokeable stuff and wait for Yzerman’s decision. It should be a fun evening.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/20/21 at 07:14 PM ET