Abel to Yzerman

The 42 Year Drought Ended 24 Years Ago

Check out Galli's recent tweets for more.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Bill from GR's avatar

I remember watching it with my 13 year old son.  He couldn’t understand why I had tears in my eyes.  (And, running down my cheeks.)

What a great memory!

Posted by Bill from GR on 06/07/21 at 10:14 AM ET

Paul's avatar

On Moritz Seider at the WC,

via Chris Peters of HockeySense ($$$),

The German phenom added another accolade. After being named the best defenseman in the SHL this season, he was also named the best defenseman in the tournament by the directorate and a tournament all-star selection. The 2019 sixth-overall pick has been such an impressive player and prospect. I found it a bit surprising that he received all this tournament recognition when he was not one of the three best players selected by his own team (every team selects a top three players). It was not a strong tournament for defensemen in terms of production and super notable performances, but Seider was a big reason Germany reached the bronze medal game. He led all defensemen on his team in ice time and finished the tournament with five assists and 21 shots on goal. I think Seider has looked better than he did in this tournament, but it speaks to the reputation he has built up and the respect he has garnered that he got such accolades.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/07/21 at 12:08 PM ET

I was at Northside Nathan’s here in Vegas - a Detroit-style pizza joint run by John and Patrick from Rochester, Michigan.  The local news station, Channel 8 KLAS - stopped by and filmed the hype at their restaurant and I was at the bar watching the pre-game and wearing my Yzerman whites drinking Strohs and eating an otherworldly chicken garlic square pizza.

Good times.  When DMac scored that unbelievable goal to make it 2-nil Detroit over Philly, I was running up and down the restaurant like I was at the Joe.

Man, I’m getting kerflempt now.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/07/21 at 01:24 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I was at Casey’s on Michigan avenue when the Wings won the Cup! Michigan Avenue was fun chaos!
And like you Bill of GR, i had tears of joy running down my face.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/07/21 at 01:24 PM ET

Woodward Sports just had Nails on The Hook to talk about it.

Posted by ThatGuy on 06/07/21 at 04:38 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I made this cup replica out of a bowl, tinfoil, and cardboard. We took turns drinking beer out of it at Brewsters Junction in Kalamazoo. Posting from phone so this might work or go sideways but anyway.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/07/21 at 05:52 PM ET

Like it was yesterday!