Abel to Yzerman

Taking The Pulse Of The 19

Feeling confident, feeling okay, feeling like another year of playoff-less hockey?

What's on your mind as we wait for the puck to drop tonight against the Tampa Bay Lightning?

I want to see the continued growth of Michael Rasmussen and Filip Zadina.

Sometimes I close my eyes and see Steve Yzerman's rookie year.  You knew just by watching him he had greatness written all over him.  Will that feeling be the same with Lucas Raymond?

This post is waiting for your comments.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Larkin, Bertuzzi, Hronek, DeKeyser, Rasmussen, Zadina, and Blashill
Are the only Wings on the opening roster who were with the club when Yzerman became GM.

Not counting Abdelkader’s 1 mil in buyout, Vrana, Rasmussen, Raymond, Hronek, Seider, are the only contracts on the book for 23-24.

Yzerman has scrubbed this roster and cleansed the cap. Two of his top picks make their debut tonight. I don’t know, this just feels like the start of something completely new, and I’m excited for it.

I wouldn’t mind a shot at a Shane Wright draft pick, and that’s still possible, especially if injuries mount, but I think the climb back into relevancy starts now.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 10/14/21 at 11:33 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m going to keep my expectations low…actually I have no expectations.

Seider and Raymond are going to make mistakes and will have many moments where they look like rookies and likely get caught in bad moments.  But I do hope to see glimmers of good things to show promise of what will happen in time.

I expect a big season from Ras - he was beastly last year and I hope he continues it.

I’m really looking forward to seeing Bert playing again.  The team isn’t as fun to watch without him on the ice.

Zadina…I hope he continues to find his grove and isn’t forced into a defence only role.  He’s only 21 and still has time to grow.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/14/21 at 11:44 AM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

I’m excited about the upcoming season.  I’d be pleased if we performed like we did in 18-19, i.e. good enough to be in most games, lose a lot of one goal games, good offensive performance from our young players.  I think Raymond will be good, but I doubt he tops 20 goals.  I’m more confident in Seider, who’s given us a couple years track record.

Ultimately, we don’t want to be too good, nor do I think we will be.  I think we need two more top ten offensive talents to be long term competitive.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 10/14/21 at 12:25 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Just glad to have RW hockey back.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/14/21 at 12:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I have expectations of a non playoff team, after all they have the SC Champions, SC Finalists, Toronto, and Boston in their division.  I’m a little skeptical of the health of some core players.  Hopefully see some flashes of brilliance but also expecting some gaffs.  It’s a marathon season so let’s not pass judgement after the first period.  Too much.

Still got to figure out the viewing options.  Will I be able to choose Ken and Mick through ESPN?

Posted by RWBill on 10/14/21 at 12:51 PM ET

a_k_l's avatar

Excited about the season for sure, but I have no expectations. I would like to see some fun, close games. We will have bad streaks and terrible games. I think that is inevitable. But we have a solid foundation and some players to be excited about.

Posted by a_k_l on 10/14/21 at 01:28 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 10/14/21 at 11:33 AM ET

I think that’s a pretty good summary right there. And one thing I do know is that it’s going to be a lot more fun watching guys like Seider and Raymond than it was watching guys like Neilsen and Helm. Let the game(s) begin.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/14/21 at 02:07 PM ET

I think we’ll be very competitive most games, but fall short of the playoffs in the end. I do not see Raymond or Seider playing GR unless its a rehab stint. I expect Veleno with be a full time Wing by the end of the season. I predict all of the coaches will return next season.

Posted by pnwwing on 10/14/21 at 02:29 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Really not concerned with points, or victories too much. Really just want to see a team who is competitive on a regular basis even if they lose.

Hopefully, Mo doesn’t try and do too much this year. Quiet and steady like he belongs would be just fine.

Hope that Ned isn’t hung out to dry too often and he can settle in for a long run in net here.

The PP has to be better (couldn’t get worse could it?) with Tanguay in charge. It already looks better since the disappearance of the Center Ice Drop-Pass play (Good Riddance).

Finish in the bottom 6 and win the lottery.

Hopefully that’s not too much to ask?.... wink

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/14/21 at 03:39 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

The Yzerplan. I’m all in!  wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/14/21 at 03:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m feeling confidently okay while expecting another non-playoff season.

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 10/14/21 at 04:29 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

I’m feeling a bottom 8 finish.  Let’s be optimistic and say 25th place.

I was crushed when the length of the Vrana injury was announced.  He was going to be *the* exciting player to watch.  Ned should be fun, but it’s tough (for me) to get geeked to watch a (non-Dominator) goaltender do his thing.

Seider’s pre-season concerns me none.  His is not the show-it-off-in-the-preseason style of game.

Raymond making the team is exciting, but my excitement is tempered.  Let’s see him get past those first 9 games, *then* I can get all-in with my excitement.

Wish so many of the cogs for the team weren’t coming off meaningful injuries.  I’d be a lot more optimistic if I wasn’t so concerned about the bounce-back season.

Show me a legitimate power play.  Please.  Then my juices will get flowing a little bit.

I’m here to see it, but I think any improvement is fairly incremental.  It works out for the club, though, as the Atlantic is still a difficult division to move up in the rankings.  I mean, before the puck drops on 21-22, who thinks we could finish ahead of Boston in 22-23?  Montreal?  Should our sights really be set on picking off the Sens in another two seasons?  But like I said, I’m here to see it.  Wow me, boys.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 10/14/21 at 04:52 PM ET

Everything good will be players own development and yzermans decisions.
Everything bad is Blashills fault.
Did I do it right.

Posted by penaltybox on 10/14/21 at 05:15 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I just want to see better quality hockey out of our team. I don’t watch bad hockey, so I haven’t been finishing too many games the last few seasons. I think a win tonight, though unexpected, would be a great way to start!

Posted by dougie on 10/14/21 at 05:45 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Everything bad is Blashills fault.
Did I do it right.

Posted by penaltybox on 10/14/21 at 05:15 PM ET

You did. But I sense that your heart isn’t really in it. Try to correct that in the future please.  grin

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/14/21 at 06:22 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 10/14/21 at 11:44 AM ET

By those two making mistakes you mean the entire 3rd/4th line?

Pray DDK doesn’t turn into Errorson 2.0 and Staal can manage to not cough up the puck every other shift.

Posted by retrospecd on 10/14/21 at 07:19 PM ET