Abel to Yzerman

Same Old Stuff

Yes, the only material the Detroit beat writers can use is what the Wiings supply them with.  The club makes a player or two available to the media along with Jeff Blashill on a daily basis.

Detroit fans want more than this (most recent headline from the Detroit Free Press, Detroit News and Mlive)...

Nedeljkovic's goaltending a source of confidence for Red Wings

Wings' Alex Nedeljkovic staking claim for more playing time

Alex Nedeljkovic bails out loose defense, finding comfort level with Red Wings

All of the above stories contain the same material, just written differently and this pattern continues on a daily basis.

Imagine talking to one of the assistants, like a coach who handles the power play or penalty kill, even the video coach would be a change of pace.

How about the Detroit media going outside the lines and talk with other teams or media on their opinions on the Wings?

Instead we constanly receive a story on player one from media source #1, followed by the same story but with words being moved around from media #2, then here comes the same story from media #3.

On top of this, if you watch the after practice or after game videos, well you know what the topic of the day will be.  You actually get the story before it is written.

Something has to change, the beat writers are getting very stale.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1000%

I don’t even read the beat writers.  To your point, they offer me nothing.  Watch the 2 minutes presser and save your time.  I get more interested when out of town writers write about the Wings.  The BEST place to get interesting info on the wings are YouTube channels.  Most are hockey fans and have some context for the wings play by not watching JUST the wings play.

Posted by ThatGuy on 11/26/21 at 09:46 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Not sure whats worse: this or Bultman asking question in the media scrum that you can watch for free on youtube and then turning the answers into a pay to read article on The Athletic.

Hockey journalism is a cesspool of mediocrity and annually rehashed naratives spoon fed to them by the team’s PR department.  If it was left up to the beat writers you would never hear about stories like Kyle Beach’s abuse in Chicago.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/26/21 at 09:53 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Not that I disagree but isn’t the economic model of today for just about everything? If you want more pay more?

I think what we get today out of free media is basic headlines for the casual news consumer, someone going to DetNews MLive Freep etc. to just catchup or read a paper about a bit off all going on in and around Detroit.  But when your a hockey junkie, you are here and other sites like it, you are at the Athletic etc.

Not to mention they all have to write something frequently,  teams know this, teams are not giving them juice, and if they go in and squeeze for juice they’re likely to get shut out. The true media takes that risk, and they get the script reward.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 11/26/21 at 11:37 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m guessing the wings are doing the bare minimum to meet the league’s requirements regarding pressers and info.

The majority of hockey fans don’t care and don’t notice a difference. Readers on this site are different though - we want more. It’s frustrating this is the cycle each year.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/26/21 at 11:37 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

I made the mistake of buying a subscription to The Athletic. It’s a mistake mostly bkz I really only care about one sport (guess!) and one baseball team (SF Giants). So there’s a ton of stuff there that I don’t care about at all (and they still try and jam the NFL down my neck, but that’s another story). But even there, there isn’t much. The day after one of the busiest days of the young season (last Thurs, I think, where like 30 teams played), there was not a single story about the NHL or any of its teams the next day, except one about betting lines. Barf.

It is almost worth it for Sean McIndoe, but even he’s not writing as much as he used to when he was on Grantland where you could read him for free. He does one or two podcasts, but I don’t care about those. The party line (ie, what the league allows) is extremely boring and repetitive (gEt PuCkS dEeP, etc), and the league fights the diggers. It’s lame, and probably some portion of why the game doesn’t grow faster than it is.

Posted by Steeb on 11/26/21 at 12:36 PM ET

Something has to change, the beat writers are getting very stale.

+19, Boss.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/26/21 at 03:17 PM ET

I wonder if any of the beat writers have
the contacts and reach and credibility to
do some of those “what do five anonymous
front office execs/scouts/former coaches”
think about _____?” (big topic re: the Wings).

Sure with anonymity you could get the dregs (no pun
intended) of each category. But if readers take comments with
a grain of salt and I guess screen out the comments of someone who
doesn’t actually seem to have watched the Wings recently,
you could really get some different perspectives and with a little luck,
actual insights.

Would the Wings front office/press office get wind of this and signal disapproval?
Would any sorta expert outside the Wings org be too reluctant to talk out of school about another franchise or risk offending any and all who might hire them in the future? Maybe!

But at least it’s something different! And not that I’m supportive of this personally, but if they’re trying to entice people into online subscriptions for “premium content”,
idk, maybe offer some?

Posted by lefty.30 on 11/26/21 at 05:16 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Ultimately Stevie controls this team’s media with an iron fist. It was tight with Holland, but it’s next level under Stevie.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/26/21 at 06:58 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

True that, and the fact the beat writers cannot afford to report anything negative in fear of being shutout. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 11/26/21 at 08:43 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Its covid. They limit the number of guys exposed to reporters. In the past the media was let into the locker room. It doesn’t bother me much as I rarely listen to Blash anyway so I don’t care.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 11/26/21 at 11:37 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Well my interests are all Detroit but the Wings are the only team showing promise.  As for writers and reporters, media, I have concluded for me I don’t want any part of them.  I’ve completely gave up on news media lying to grab attention and the sports writers are cut out of the same cloth.  I like this site because we do get Steveie and the players occasionally.  Blash gets on here tomuch, he sucks as a coach he’d be better as a sports writer..  We need to hear more from assistant coaches.  In Detroit, Mickey, and Ozzie tell it like it is.  I like the fans opinion and insights here. Another good site is Winging it in Motown, its younger for fans but has a lot of good info.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 11/27/21 at 05:16 PM ET