Abel to Yzerman

Sam Gagner Or Bobby Ryan?

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

If only one is brought back, the odds favor Gagner. He’s younger, and he can play both special teams. Ryan was limited to 33 games this season and 24 in 2019-20 — he took much of that season off to address a substance abuse issue — and has not played a full season since 2018-19. And while he expects to make a full recovery from surgery, it will impact his ability to train this offseason.

There is, of course, the possibility Yzerman brings both back. Even if rookie Joe Veleno is a full-timer next season, the Wings will need depth. Ryan didn’t have the offensive season that both sides hoped for in October, but put him on a line with someone who can feed him the puck, or finish his passes, and there’s a good chance Ryan will deliver better numbers.

ROSTER REVIEW:Here are the players the Wings can't afford to lose in expansion draft

There’s no reason to sign either player until after the July 21 expansion draft. In all likelihood, Yzerman will bring back Gagner, and Ryan could be added later, depending on what happens in free agency, which is slated to start July 28.

more ($$$)

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

“Even if rookie Joe Veleno is a full-timer next season, the Wings will need depth. “

This is still a Rebuild, StevieY will still add a Vet or two BUT it seems like Veleno is ready along with Seider and maybe some surprises.  I thought Gagner was gioing to call it quits or something?

There is a place for a Vet with less talent to help Young Guns but very soon the young guns will be Vets.

I must admit that HSJ makes me feel like I am throwing up in my mouth but I think Veleno should get a Call up sometime this season.
Is this the season where the Wings need less of the older Vets and older young Vets are ready to step up.  Larkin for one started in the NHL as a Rookie but also mostly grown up.  Compare him to whinny jerk Eichel, never would I trade Larkin for Eichel. Eichel will be a misfit for most of his career.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/15/21 at 09:24 AM ET

—— There is, of course, the possibility Yzerman brings both back
——-The possibility of neither of them returning is not even considered?

Posted by VPalmer on 06/15/21 at 11:35 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

—— There is, of course, the possibility Yzerman brings both back
——-The possibility of neither of them returning is not even considered?

Posted by VPalmer on 06/15/21 at 11:35 AM ET

I considered it for sure!
Come on already, neither fetched anything the deadline, get out the scissors and cut the cord.

I really hope Stevie gets creative with his capspace to take on some salary in exchange for prospects, and/or leverage someone’s cap situation to fleece out a good young player, like Yanni Gourde for well beneath market rate.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/15/21 at 01:08 PM ET

Agreed Murray.  I take Gagner back if he’s happy playing throughout the lineup and/or being a scratch.  Ryan has one purpose, and we have prospects ready for that.

I still don’t get it, clearly Im missing things or not watching enough (its been hard the last 2 years lol), but are Gagner and/or Ryan really bringing more than Svech for example?  I like Gagner’s versatality.  Ryan surprisingly had good numbers… but watching him play… so slow and doesn’t seem to bring much on the ice anyhow other than decent hands in close.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/15/21 at 01:16 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I agree Murray. No to both please.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/15/21 at 01:32 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/15/21 at 01:16 PM ET

I personally thought the team played better without Bobby Ryan, while he’s got some offensive creativity, he was subpar defensively, but moreso he turned over a lot of pucks, and gave away a lot of possession.

I was surprised by Gagner, to see him on the PK and his play down the stretch, he wasn’t a one trick pony.  As far as a player, whatever, he is one. I just think there is more to be had using our cap space to solve another team’s problem, or to sign a bargain FA with more upside than returning Gagner to this team.

I had high hopes for Evegeny, was hoping he just needed NHL game experience, but watching him down the stretch he’ll be a career AHL player, fringe 4th liner tops.  He has the offensive creativity, good board battler, but he just doesn’t understand where to be at on the ice, and makes bad plays in the defensive end, not someone offensive enough to warrant him being top 6 and not good enough to play a bottom 6 role.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/15/21 at 03:04 PM ET

Ya, I guess Murray I’m a top 9 guy with an energy line.  So having Svech on a potential 3rd line that is not a second shutdown line.  Again, run him out there, 20 games… with decent players… is it that much worse?
I agree about the “where to be on the ice though”  But I figure that can be fixed potentially but history has shown some just don’t get it.

I’m ok with not signing either Gagner or Ryan, but hey, if we want veteran depth, I go with Gagner over most of the other options we have.

Surrpsingly Ryan, I think if I recall correctly, had good possession numbers, to which I was shocked, because I saw what you saw.  Maybe a virtue of who he was playing with?

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/15/21 at 03:31 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I would be ok with Gagner coming back. Ryan not so sure. I was ok with the signing last summer he did ok here but if he was healthy was anyone going to trade for him at the deadline? He seems to have a knack for getting hurt which makes the decision to not bring him back a little easier.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/15/21 at 04:06 PM ET