Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit Red Wings/Tampa Bay Lightning

The last home game this season for the Wings and they still have scoring issues.  Wings lose 2-1 to the Lightning.

Key point of the game, late in the 3rd period the Wings had a full blown 2 man advantage for almost 2 minutes and I don't think they had a quality scoring chance.

Team Stats

Detroit goal is below.

I have a houseful of friends waiting to dine, so to the grill I go which means the post game videos will be done later tonight or in the morning.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

bigfrog's avatar

The goal tending has been excellent, but one goal in 3 games doesn’t cut it. big surprise

Posted by bigfrog on 05/02/21 at 05:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That’s OK, PK, not many Wings’ highlights to speak of, especially during the extended 5x3 PP.  Just awful.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 06:00 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Not pleased with zadina not getting a look that last power play

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/21 at 06:13 PM ET

Why are we playing a small 33 yr old fringe (realistically AHL) guy as a 7th defenseman, who offers no useful dimension other than being “a good pro”?

I’m trying to enjoy Spring and life gradually returning a bit more to normal lol
and this is driving me crazy (deep breath)

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/02/21 at 06:21 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Compared to the PP at the beginning of the season they looked pretty good. They are at least moving the puck well on the PP. They are not getting the better shots yet but not a big deal as a bunch of these guys won’t be back in the fall.

I’m actually glad they didn’t get any more pts today. I want Steve to have the most to work with possible at the draft.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/02/21 at 06:37 PM ET

I know the players and coaching staff hates to lose, but man we’re not doing ourselves any favors with the late season points surge. Reminds me of a few yrs ago. We either screw ourselves or the draft screws us. I can’t believe that we have fallen in EVERY draft.

Posted by Stump23 on 05/02/21 at 07:41 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hronek is a capable NHL defenseman, but he is NOT a PP QB and should not be used as such (free tool time coach Blash). He had a terrible game today.  He should not be playing 25 minutes per night. He is a #3/4 defenseman.

Also, Dan Dekyser is, I’m sure, a wonderful guy and good teammate, but I will be disappointed if he is in a Wings uniform next year.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/02/21 at 07:55 PM ET

Whether it’s totally by design or not, a couple to a few
teams always seem to tank really hard late in the season.
While we often rally a bit.

The competitiveness is great. I’m sure it does reflect a stronger
culture and that’s important. In fairness to Blashill it’s also contrary
to the players trying to make him look bad in order to lobby for
a replacement.

But this is still a team that’s going to have to really find a true star
or two if contending is going to mean Cup and not just playoffs
when the climb out of rebuild takes off. Sometimes you need a top
pick for that and sometimes 5-10 is as good or close. But sooner or later
you need to find that guy and it usually happens in the top couple to few picks.

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/02/21 at 07:57 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Wining either of the last games vs Columbus is not helping. I want to see the rookies play well and score I just don’t want pts.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/02/21 at 08:07 PM ET

this is what it looks like to live in a shooting gallery, with the wings standing around watching the bolts moving their legs, their forecheck is daunting.

the wings continually fail to “start on time” – c’mon, 16 seconds in? why would a gm want to bring back a coach whose team is unable to do so? sub-par talent has nothing to do with effort.

wings D is too soft, the captain needs to find 2-3 a - - kicking d-men – more often than not, the last man looking down at bernier was wearing a tampa jersey.

Posted by rickytarr on 05/02/21 at 09:50 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/02/21 at 06:21 PM ET

Especially considering we need to make the decision between Cholo Lindstrom and Stetcher, they should get as much playing time as we can offer.

Oh and why not have an extra forward with size and playing with it against a physical team.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/03/21 at 09:31 AM ET

We could have two teams really trying hard to come up short. Maybe the Wings can put a couple in their own net to seal their fate.

Posted by evileye on 05/03/21 at 09:42 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

and this is driving me crazy (deep breath)

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/02/21 at 06:21 PM ET

I spent the entire day fishing yesterday.  My wife came along - she was going to read a book, but surprisingly picked up a rod and fished for the first time in her life.  Later in the day she NEARLY landed a real nice perch but if flopped off at the boat, she was ticked and told me “This isn’t easy!”  I’m like, yeah….that’s what I keep telling you haha.  About 30 minutes later she got another bite and brought in her first fish (a perch).

We’ve done a lot of things together in the 15 years we’ve been together, but that was one of the happier moments I’ve seen her experience.  Life’s too short to watch bad hockey - get outside and have fun everyone!

(Disclaimer - yes she was fishing without a license but it was free fishing day here and wasn’t required.  I know some of you would have contested that….Garth…)  wink

Posted by TreKronor on 05/03/21 at 09:45 AM ET

BIGFOOT88's avatar

Totally agree with Down River Dan’s above comments on DDK !

the ONLY thing that he ever offered the club was that when he first arrived in NHL, Danny could move and skate pretty well for a guy his size !

But the intervening years and injuries have stripped away any vestiges of his old skating prowess and for last couple seasons DDK has been (and continues to be) a TOTAL LIABILITY on the ice, in ALL aspects!

Man, I hope we’ve seen the last of this slug ! .... so do the right thing Stevie !

We can dream, can’t we ?

Posted by BIGFOOT88 on 05/03/21 at 09:50 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

DDK will be back with the team, Yzerman has $46MM worth of capspace,  buying him or Neilson out of their final year would just stupidity, and Yzerman is not stupid.

If you can ignore his contract, DDK is not as bad as some of you make him out to be either, he ain’t great either, understand the angst over the overpayment, but he can play ok, and if he can get some more of his legs back this offseason going into next, he might end up being someone we flip at the deadline eating most of that contract.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/03/21 at 11:00 AM ET