Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit Red Wings/Boston Bruins

It's been a tough day for me today as I continue to fight some kind of bug.

So turning it over to you for your thoughts on Detroit's 2-1 win.

Detroit goals below and I will have the post game talk in the morning.

Team stats.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

Ras 10- 4 in the dot tonight. Not much to complain about when you’re outshot 42-16 on the road and come out with a W

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/30/21 at 10:52 PM ET

I hope that goal gets Zadina going.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/30/21 at 10:57 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I agree on being out shot by more than 2 to 1, it was a good win. The Red Wings kept the Bruins to the outside where Ned could see the shots.  cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 11/30/21 at 11:00 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Well I have to congratulate the Coaching staff even Blas, that was almost the perfect road game against a final 8 team.  They checked closely, kept them outside, kept the crowd out of it, so quiet, Ned was in a shooting gallery but we got a GOalie.  They did as best they could by staying out of the box, it was slipping there until Staal got that really timely goal, great play read by him!  The Wings took what Boston gave them and played the kitty by the door game.  Great to see we always had people back, no breakaways, and few odd man rushes 5v5.  Kudos to the PK against their PP… Glad Marchand was suspended and Swayman must be injured, second game for Ullmark, the weaker link.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 11/30/21 at 11:14 PM ET

Great road win and we never win in Boston. Yes, the shots were lopsided, but Ned did not have to make any spectacular saves, he just had to be solid and he was. And next time in practice put Ras in front of the empty net and let him shoot the puck from a blue line. I understand missing the empty net once, but twice?

Posted by VPalmer on 11/30/21 at 11:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I hope you feel better soon, Paul. I’ve been having some rough times lately myself over the past couple weeks, although not bug related, but I completely understand.

But… fuch yeah, Wings win!

As for shot disparity… while it looks bleak, Boston practically threw everything at the net. We were badly outshot, but how many of them were even decent chances? Very few, I think. Plus, this improves Ned’s numbers. Forcing the B’s to the outside was great for our D.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/30/21 at 11:21 PM ET

Excellent win:)

Posted by pnwwing on 11/30/21 at 11:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Posted by bigfrog on 12/01/21 at 12:05 AM ET

Rasmussen looked like a shutdown guy who was worth a high pick tonight. Zadina manufactured a goal on his own.
Ned played a solid positional game.
Lookin good

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 12/01/21 at 12:34 AM ET

calquake's avatar

My takeaway from tonight? A 60 minute team effort.
I still want more offense from Ras. He’s played well but even he would admit he can do more.

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 12/01/21 at 01:44 AM ET

With that win, we have our second three-game win streak of the season.

Doesn’t sound impressive.  But last year, we only had one three-game win streak in a 56-game season.  We also only had one in a the 71-game season before that.

We did have a few in 2018-19, including two back to back—aka a six-game win streak—in March 2019, so this isn’t too significant, but it is kind of nice.

Posted by captaineclectic on 12/01/21 at 07:31 AM ET

calquake, Ras will get there, he’s still young. Wouldn’t surprise me if he has a great 2nd half to the season and pots 10-15 goals by the end of the year.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 12/01/21 at 09:19 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Ras effort and physicality helped lead to the 2nd goal as well.

He’s been using his body more, he needs to continue to do so, continue to develop that part of his game.  If he does, he will be an effective post season player, may not always be regular season pretty, but a guy that is important 5v5 when the games are tighter, more physical and defense is at a premium.  Someone consistently hitting leaning and battling with a team’s defense and wearing them down over the course of a series, you need to have those guys.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/01/21 at 09:41 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I continue to be incredibly impressed by the play of Raymond and Seider away from the puck. They stay “in their lane,” their heads are on a swivel, and they’re assertive in how they position themselves to keep the puck away from their guy(s). And they both make it look effortless when they do it.

Here’s a question for Blashill. Who the heck do you think you’re kidding by saying Smith is play wing on the 2nd line? Last night, he played two and a half fewer minutes than Rowney played on the 4th line. Either give the guy a full chance to play 2nd-line minutes or put him on the 4th line or in the press box.

I’m rapidly becoming a fan of Oesterle, especially when paired with Seider. He’s the reliable, stay-at-home partner that Mo needs. But I fear that Oesterle will go right back to being a healthy scratch when DeKeyser returns. And that’ll be a disaster for Seider – and for the Wings.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/01/21 at 12:52 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Fun game last night. Like Big frog said, the Wings for the most part kept Boston to the outside. I think Blashill and staff had a good game plan and stuck to the scheme. I love how they keyed on Pastrnak. Except on the BS 5 on 3 PP he was kept in check. Nice job! Easier accomplished with Captain Slewfoot out but nonetheless good job.

Ned on his Head was solid again. Staal was a man on a mission last night! Man, some of those Bruins are probably still in the hot tubs with the hits he and Fabbri dished out.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/01/21 at 01:08 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/01/21 at 11:52 AM ET

Here’s a question for you, when did Blashill plant a flag in the ground and say that? I think he did what he said he was going to do…

We kind of have two shooters in Fabbs and Zadina, kind of the same type of player, so Smitty would be a net presence, big-body guy (joining) a playmaking center with a shooter in Fabbri,” Blashill said. “That line has gotten chances but they’re a little slight, so you got a big body up there as well. I’m not sure we’re going to stay with it and certainly don’t know if we’ll stay with it within the game but it’s something we wanted to look at.”...

2nd question, why do you hate Smith and/or our 12th forward so much?

Never understand why the guys who play less than 8 minutes, and moreover, the guys who ride pine get the most blowback from this fanbase, it makes zero sense. I guess the importance of our “4th” line during the Bowman run has skewed expectations of what depth is,  I guess… forever? Cap be damned.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/01/21 at 01:50 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

2nd question, why do you hate Smith and/or our 12th forward so much?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat

Take a pill, Murray. I never said I hated Smith or any “12th forward.” I was simply saying that if you’re going to put a guy like Smith on the 2nd line to see what he can do, then let him play there for at least a whole game, not for eight minutes or less.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/01/21 at 04:59 PM ET

I know DK does not have the worst Corsi numbers among our dmen (Staal does), but I hope it will become obvious to Blashill based on the last 3 games who is our biggest defensive liability and when he comes back, he will not automatically be given top 4 role or even top 6 role.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/01/21 at 05:37 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

2nd question, why do you hate Smith and/or our 12th forward so much?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat

I’ll weigh in on Smith, Smith has had opportunity to play up.  You know before TV and our access to see the action we had radio and we heard the action.  In those days, you could tell who played well by the number of times the play by play guy said his name.  TV , know you can see that the play by play is correct calling the game and naming the guys carrying the play.  So I always use this method to determine who has a good game and who doesn’t.  My problem is Smith’s name is rarely if ever is called when on the ice.  So where is he?  I believe we all want to see him do well, Blacks are excellent athletes, more are needed in the league.  I think of Tony Duclair on the Panthers, a guy who would be anyone’s team, raw talent!  Is it possible that Smith just doesn’t have the talent to be an NHL player, look at the AHL and there is a whole league of players who just cannot crack the league with their talent.  Look around the world, thousands of guys playing hockey but to make the best league in the world you got to be special and I am talking entry level.  Once in the NHL and in your 30’s it become a talent and loyalty thing.  An entry level guy has to show more than a Sam Gagner or a Carter Rowney

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 12/01/21 at 05:42 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I think its obvious the reason Zadina and Smith have swapped lines. It hopefully gives both more confidence. Zadina is not going toe to toe with better players and Smith is being pushed to play harder. But I agree, Smith should get the minutes or its half hearted.

I actually think its a worthy try by Blashill.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/01/21 at 06:08 PM ET

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 12/01/21 at 08:19 AM ET

haha, No he won’t.

15 goals??  only if Fabbri or Zadina starts bouncing 14 off his ass every year.

Dude couldn’t hit an empty net with three tries tonight.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 12/01/21 at 06:20 PM ET