Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit/Nashville

The Wings were playing a perfect road game and outplaying the Predators the first 32 minutes of the game.

Then Nashville scored twice in under two minutes but Detroit scored late to make it 2-1 after two periods.

Nashville scored midway in the third to make it 3-1 and then went into shutdown mode.

The Preds added an empty net goal to make it a 4-1 final.

Below find the Bertuzzi fight and Detroit goal.

Next game is Wednesday with the Wings hosting the Chicago Blackhawks.

I'll catch up with the post game videos early in the morning.

Team stats

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

bigfrog's avatar

Not really much to say about this game as the result was as expected. The story was the non existence of the Red Wings PP. Again. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 01/23/22 at 12:32 AM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Bertuzzi fight was the highlight but I ask Blas, do you really want to have Bertuzzi fighting ?  Zadina can go to G.R. on exempt waivers according to Capfriendly, before 16 more games.  DO IT.  Bring up Witkowski, old Tulips, to bang a few guys around.  I hate what I see, I see both of our rookies shying off and their play is showing it.  Seider I believe can handle himself but Raymond looks pretty light out there and is vulnerable.  Gretzy had a body guard, Raymond needs one, not Larkin.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/23/22 at 01:12 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Hopefully we won’t read about TBert having a broken finger tomorrow. TBert needs pain free hands to make those great shots and passes.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/23/22 at 05:13 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/23/22 at 12:12 AM ET

Totally agree about Wit being up against protagonist teams. There has been too many liberties directed at Raymond. I rather lose close games with Witkowski in the game at this point, than lose close games and Raymond (or anyone) to injury due to malicious attacks. This team is not competing for Lord Stanley this season, let Raymond grow with some assistance for getting the flies off his back. Plus Witkowski is a better skater than Danny D. He may not be a better positional Dman but I think that is minor compared to not being able to defend yourself/team.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/23/22 at 11:45 AM ET

We played a very good road game against one of the top teams

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/22 at 12:36 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I’m sorry but really boys & girls, these are the hot takes of the day here eh ?

“I ask Blas, do you really want to have Bertuzzi fighting ?”  and the classic.. “Bring up Witkowski”
Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/23/22 at 12:12 AM ET

Ugh…do you think he’d say yes? I ask you, do you want $10million dollars? Ok, whew glad I knew the answer.

This isn’t the 80s boys.  We already have a “fighter” in the lineup in Smith, how’s that working out? Oh it doesn’t because as it turns out, he doesn’t play on the top line in top line, and isn’t out there every shift Raymond is, nor would Witkowski.  If it get egregious, Smith would be out there.

“Plus Witkowski is a better skater than Danny D. He may not be a better positional Dman but I think that is minor compared to not being able to defend yourself/team”
Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/23/22 at 10:45 AM ET

Say what now? Replace the guy on our top pair, who might fetch ya a lil’ somethin in 5 weeks for a guy who didn’t land an NHL contract this season, nor has been called up to play 1 minute of NHL hockey thus far, my Yzergod?  The DDK hate is strong with this one

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 01/23/22 at 03:17 PM ET

You really think a playoff team will be interested in DK and will have the cap space?
I might be wrong, but I would assume playoff teams have 6 d better than DK. It’s not about hate (why would anybody hate DK), it’s about playoff needs. You either are looking for an offensive d to play on a second PP unit (Leddy might fetch a second or third) or a physical d with playoff experience a la Staal.
DK just does not bring offense, does not bring physicality, does not bring playoff experience.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/22 at 03:30 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

In the land of grounded reality…

I thought for stretches, it was one of the better offensive games I saw out of Leddy since he’s come here, and then as Leddy does, he puck watches, loses his guy behind him for the slam dunk 2nd goal.

Took until the midpoint of the season, but the wear of playing an NHL schedule is a “man’s league” finally showed on Seider last night, he was arrant and sloppy with the puck, passive on the boards, and his positioning wasn’t as sound, still pretty good, but not the level at which he’s been playing. This season for him is still nothing short of incredible IMO.

Larkin logged a lot of minutes Friday, didn’t have Larkin legs last night.

Rasmussen is playing well, but he’s just not going to be a producer, he had some chances to finish this weekend and just doesn’t.  Hope he continue to work on his body and strength, get an edge to him, he’s come a good matchup defender up the middle .

Ned is fighting the puck a bit, I’m surprised Blash went with him back to back, maybe wanted to let him shake off that game the night before, but it would’ve been nice to showcase Greiss a bit a few contenders need depth at the position.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 01/23/22 at 03:31 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/22 at 02:30 PM ET

Yzerman can eat salary and take salary, so setting that aside, if I was a GM…

I would was Staal first, but I don’t think he’s going to want to be traded.

I would absolutely take DDK to shore up my 3rd pairing defensively.  He struggles against top end talent, most decent to good defenseman do, but if you limit him to 15 minutes a night vs. depth players/lines, he’d be a plus matchup. All depends on who I got on that 3rd pair and what the price is.

At best, I might consider for future considerations or a 6th round pick to have as a 7th/8th depth dman for covid/injury insurance. I’ve watched our PP, especially the 2nd unit, he’s no Mike Green as an example, he’s just there. Defense wins in the post season, and he’s too big of a defensive liability

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 01/23/22 at 03:41 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

At best, I might consider Leddy for future considerations or a 6th round pick to have as a 7th/8th depth dman for covid/injury insurance. I’ve watched our PP, especially the 2nd unit, he’s no Mike Green as an example, he’s just there. Defense wins in the post season, and he’s too big of a defensive liability

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 01/23/22 at 03:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Last night it was mentioned on 32 Thoughts the Coyotes have an offer for Jakob Chychrun.  They said 2 former first round picks and this year’s first.

No team was mentioned and the Yotes have not agreed on it, still shopping.

Any idea what team it could be?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/23/22 at 03:44 PM ET

They said 2 former first round picks and this year’s first

Zadina and Ras?

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/22 at 04:30 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

As long as it’s not Pittsburgh. grrr

Posted by bigfrog on 01/23/22 at 04:41 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Hope that trade isn’t the Red Wings. There is d talent coming up from past drafts and if the Wings are that short they should use the first on d then. Zadina, Rass and this years first would be a huge over pay.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/23/22 at 07:00 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain’s Ship on 01/23/22 at 02:17 PM ET

Yes, the same guy that cleared waivers last year and looks like the tinman before his lube job most nights. And no, i am not DDK hater. I actually enjoy him since his heart for the game is huge. I think Blashill over uses him and puts him in situations where he and the team cannot succeed. A few nights off when we play Dbag teams would help his efficiency.
Plus, i feel sorry for the guy. He took tons of shit from the Team last year that he was not pushing himself hard enough. I wonder how much painkillers it takes for him to take the ice each night and to sleep? He is 31 and hopefully has a lot of life to live after his playing days. But if he cannot walk or sit or sleep during his retirement years i wonder if he will think all that pushing was worth it.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/23/22 at 09:11 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/23/22 at 08:11 PM ET

DDK was waived with a pricey year left on his deal, and on 1 leg, he’s playing “ok” this year much better health wise, and is a UFA, different situation, I think we might get something for him, not much, but something.

Your beef is who Steve Yzerman gave the coach to use, because I don’t see an alternative, shots on the Captain’s ship, ok, I won’t go there .

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 01/24/22 at 12:10 AM ET