Abel to Yzerman

Practicing From The LCA

via Ansar Khan tweet,

lines/D pairs in final practice before tomorrow’s season-opener vs. Lightning at LCA:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond
Fabbri-Suter-Zadina
Namestnikov-Rasmussen-Erne
Smith/Rowney-Stephens-Gagner
DeKeyser-Hronek
Leddy-Seider
Staal-Lindstrom
Oesterle-Stecher

addded per Khan,

power play units:
1. Bertuzzi (net front), Erne (bumper), Larkin-Raymond (flanks), Leddy (point). Gagner rotating with Erne.
2. Suter (net front), Fabbri (bumper), Hronek-Zadina (flanks), Seider (point). Rasmussen rotating with Suter.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Daniella Bruce tweet,

Jeff Blashill said he thinks Moritz Seider is mentally equipped to handle the challenges that the NHL will bring, but emphasizes that there will be challenges for him and he will have to learn as he goes.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/13/21 at 12:23 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Daniella Bruce again,

Jeff Blashill said he thought Raymond’s impact on the game was good, especially in the first half of the exhibition season. He also mentioned Raymond has a great level of “B & C” games. Meaning he does great things that may not show on the score sheet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/13/21 at 12:26 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

No complaints from me on this lineup, although I’m pretty shocked Stecher is still on the outside looking in. Would love to fit him in instead of DK somehow.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 10/13/21 at 12:27 PM ET

I watched Ras for 3 years of juniors, and he was very good at screening/ deflecting/ tipping in front of goalies, plus he has a LONG reach. Have been hoping he gets a chance on the PP to do more of same…...

Posted by pnwwing on 10/13/21 at 01:04 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 10/13/21 at 12:27 PM ET

I have a feeling the Wings are going to play 8 defensemen for a while to see who sticks and who does not. After that I think they will settle on 7 Dmen and have 14 forwards. I am also shocked that Stecher is on the outside. He looked good last year and in the preseason and is a much better puck handler than Staal or Dekeyser.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/13/21 at 01:24 PM ET

We have so much talent on our team we have Erne and Gagner on the PP units.

Too bad we dont have anyone skilled like Veleno or Hirose that would score as many/more than those two.

Namestikov is on the 3rd line and isn’t even on either of the units.

Posted by retrospecd on 10/13/21 at 01:42 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by retrospecd on 10/13/21 at 01:42 PM ET

Yzerman said it himself; it’s his job to get talent. I’m guessing you don’t like his decision to send them down?

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/13/21 at 01:48 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Erne and Gagner on the PP units.

Also, these two are rotating on the same unit, not each taking up a spot. I think it looks worse that suter and ras are rotating on a separate unit. One of them being bumped by one of Erne/garner is not preferred, but also Ras and Erne were dealing with injuries, so it may well be a just in case thing.

And no way veleno or hirose plays net front. It’s a fallacy that net front presence is dying out

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/13/21 at 02:02 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I am looking forward to seeing how well the Fabbri - Suter- Zadina line gels. If they can establish themselves as a strong 2nd line, it will go a long way in improving the team overall.

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 10/13/21 at 05:01 PM ET

Stecher is on the outside

Don’t want to read too much into it, but our third pairing will mostly play with bottom 6 forwards and our bottom 6 really have no ability to score consistently so it will be strictly defensive effort so they do not even need an offensive dman there.
Also I am sure they will do a lot of 11-7 there as well

Posted by VPalmer on 10/13/21 at 05:21 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Stetcher should be in the lineup.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 10/13/21 at 05:35 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/13/21 at 01:48 PM ET

Is it his decision to send players down or bring them to the team?

It’s likely a group effort and if I’m Yzerman knowing I got an invalid for a coach who prefers to play Errorson, Abdelsuck, Helm and Glendening, 15-18min a night, I’d wager I would know that he isn’t going to play Veleno more than Gagner or Erne so he gets sent down.

There isn’t a reality in which Gagner, Namestikov or Erne score more than Veleno.

Gagner is literally worth less than a bag of pucks. He definitely isn’t going to score more than 15-20pts and Veleno can do exactly that while learning. Gagner is at his ceiling.

Posted by retrospecd on 10/13/21 at 05:53 PM ET

a_k_l's avatar

@retrospecd - making fun of names is below middle-school bully morality and adds nothing meaningful to a hockey discussion.

I am not certain that Yzerman believes that Blashill is an “invalid”. Quite the contrary, most of his actions suggests that he trust him as a coach for now. It is possible that Blashill will not be here past this season or even the entirity of this season, but the fact is that Yzerman extended his contract while praising him.

Finally, I am not sure that Veleno would outscore Erne. That being said, I would like to see Veleno with the Wings soon.

Posted by a_k_l on 10/13/21 at 06:17 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by retrospecd on 10/13/21 at 05:53 PM ET

Those nicknames are savage.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/13/21 at 06:26 PM ET

Posted by a_k_l on 10/13/21 at 06:17 PM ET

I apologise if I hurt your delicate sensibilities. I forgot the internet was a safe space with unwritten rules that vary by site and subdirectory per site.

I’ll make a concerted effort to bring more ‘equity’ and ‘fairness’ to my comments. Where should I send the Reddit Gold restitution?

Erne wont score more than 20pts and if you reviewed his stats prior to posting, you’d know this. People actually thought him getting 20pts was “amazing” for him. Veleno would score more than 20pts, if he can’t then he doesn’t even belong in GR.

Also, I would recommend you read Yzerman’s quotes and watch interviews about Blashill. It’s extremely obvious the reason Blashill is around is because he needs someone who is patient and will keep things consistent. Which is why he has a 2 year contract and not a 10 year contract. He’s mentioned this several times.

I do appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts and share them with myself and the world.

Posted by retrospecd on 10/13/21 at 07:05 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/13/21 at 06:26 PM ET

I have too many to post!

Used to scream Ha-SUCK when he’d have his random nights of letting in 4+ goals and couldn’t manage to stop a beach ball if he tried.

Posted by retrospecd on 10/13/21 at 07:08 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by retrospecd on 10/13/21 at 05:53 PM ET

Those nicknames are savage.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/13/21 at 06:26 PM

That’s hitting the nail on the head! Lol

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/13/21 at 07:19 PM ET

a_k_l's avatar

@ retrospecced

I guess having intelligent conversation without juvenile jokes is too high of a bar. I will not expect that from you from this point on.

Erne - I’m quite familiar with his career. I think in an 82 game season, he can be in the 20-25 point range. The question is whether Veleno can be there. He definitely has the potential and I would love to see him with the Wings. But last season he had 13 goals and 11 assists. The majority of those came in the SEL. The year before he had 23 points in 54 games in the AHL. So at the point is, that it is not guaranteed that he will outperform Erne this season, especially if he is a bottom 6 forward. That was the only observation I had.

Yzerman on Blashill. This is what he said while extending his contract:

He is very passionate about his job. A great attention to detail, a great work ethic. [...] He is very well prepared. Every day is well thought out. Every practice, his game plans, he prepares.

I have enjoyed working with him, in that he is comfortable in speaking his mind, sharing his thoughts and for a manager and a coach relationship to debate, to discuss and ultimately respect my decisions and in return, it’s my job to respect the coach’s decisions as well and allow him to do his job.

I would be happy to read actual Yzerman quotes where he makes the point that Blashill is an “invalid”. Please provide links as I have been unable to find any.

Also, is there a current NHL coach with a 10 year contract? If not, does that prove that they are all “invalids”?

Posted by a_k_l on 10/13/21 at 07:58 PM ET

Blash has done an admirable job with the cards he was dealt, and he will continue to do same going forward.

Posted by pnwwing on 10/13/21 at 08:22 PM ET