Abel to Yzerman

Pavel Datsyuk Plans To Announce His Retirement

from Cam Lewis of The Daily Faceoff,

Set to turn 44 years old in a few weeks, it appears Pavel Datsyuk is ready to hang up his skates.

The Detroit Red Wings legend is in Krasnoyarsk, Russia for a charity farewell game being hosted by former NHLer Alexander Semin. Datsyuk told the media at the event that he plans to announce his retirement from professional hockey in the near future.

“Everything is logical, I just haven’t officially announced it yet,” Datsyuk said. “Everything is logical, everyone understands. I will definitely announce, with great pleasure and respect for the fans, for everyone who helped me.”

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

Legend

Posted by awould on 06/30/22 at 05:15 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I’ve been looking…he will have no competition for the Hall of Fame when he is eligible in 2024 (im pretty sure). Lundqvist will be the next best guy eligible until 2025 when its possible we have Chara, Joe Thornton, Jagr, Marleu, Spezza.

If they all decide to stop playing, that is (Jagr cough cough)

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/30/22 at 05:54 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Also, if Fleury gets sick of not having a solid home, I can see him calling it. Though he is only 32 wins from passing up Roy for #2 all time in wins…

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/30/22 at 06:08 PM ET

Probably my favorite of all time.  He was S tier.

Posted by ThatGuy on 06/30/22 at 06:36 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

What a career!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/30/22 at 07:01 PM ET

‘Bout time, Dangles.

Really would like to see Zata and Dangles in the HHOF at the same time.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/30/22 at 07:21 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Probably my favorite of all time.  He was S tier.

When we watched him in person, he made my Wife and I laugh at what he did to the opposition. Like Gordie Howe there will probably never be another one like him. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 06/30/22 at 11:17 PM ET

d ca's avatar

KH’s mismanagement wasted the last 5 years of his Wings career.

My favorite Dats moment was when he punched Perry in the face https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/97324

2nd favorite
Making Logan Couture fall

Jersey definitely belongs in the rafters…

Posted by d ca on 07/01/22 at 12:33 AM ET