Abel to Yzerman

One Last Look At Detroit’s Win Over Chicago On Thursday Night

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

The Red Wings couldn’t have scripted a better evening all the way around.

Newcomer Jakub Vrana scored a goal in his debut.

Troy Stecher scored two goals in a game for the first time in his career.

And, for the first time this season, the Red Wings own a three-game win streak.

The Wings took all the positives and rolled them into a 4-1 victory over Chicago on Thursday night at Little Caesars Arena.

It wasn't perfect — the Red Wings were called for too many men on the ice twice in the second period, and that's tough to do — but it was a good 60 minutes of hockey for a team that appears to be finding itself (albeit too late in the season).

"We want to build on this as a group," Stecher said. "Everyone has something to play for, whether it's ice time, or a future contract, there's always something to play for. To string three wins in a row, we're having some fun.

"We're playing with a purpose and playing for each other. We're not getting worked up over little mistakes, mistakes are going to happen through a game. The biggest thing is confidence, and having fun."

continued

Below find extended game highlights plus more complete interviews with Troy Stecher and Jeff Blashill.

added 11:26am, Vrana post game interview is below.

Extended highlights

Troy Stecher

coach Blashill

Vrana

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

This season hasn’t gone like the Wings hoped, with losing numerous players to injuries and COVID-19 quarantines. But even as the Wings are on pace to miss the playoffs again, the way they play now matters.

“What I like is we’re a better hockey team today than we were at the beginning of the year and a big impact on that is a number of our young players,” Blashill said. “The growth we’ve seen in the group, I like that. We are playing the type of hockey we have to play to be successful. Guys are improving and that is a positive thing for this organization.

“Winning is way better than losing. It’s way more fun. So let’s come in every night and have these types of moments after wins. We have 11 games left. We better not waste one opportunity that we have ahead of us.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/16/21 at 06:49 AM ET

I think even Blashill haters have to admit the team is playing much much better Blashill is doing a very good job in the last 2 months. For the majority of the games we look like a structured NHL team playing with speed and desire.
My question is what changed compared to last 2 years let’s say, how all of a sudden Blashill became a good coach? Because on paper the team is not really better than in the previous years and missing key guys like Bert and now Fabbri. And I think the answer to this question will go a long way of determining if Blashill needs to stay or not. I understand new voice is needed, but we basically have a new team so his voice is new to many of the players and old players ate still listening.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 07:13 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

My question is what changed compared to last 2 years
Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 07:13 AM ET

The roster has in a big way.

We now have a 2nd line, Zadina and Ram are not rookies hanging on, they’re NHL regulars driving play. Past seasons was basically Larks and Bert w/Mantha hurt, and while we still have some injuries, we have a decent group of forwards.

Biggest difference is that we have competent and healthy defenseman, not saying good, but at least they belong.  Mark Staal, Stetcher, DDK are NHL defenseman, and they dress, they might not be top pair guys, or be top 4 on a contender, but at the very least they are NHL dmen and they dress, unlike oft injured Green, Daley, Ericson, and DDK at that time.  No offense to the guy, but Beiga was what our #3 sometimes in our top pair last year and he’s been benched most of this season. Hronek was a rookie and then burned out. He’s still not a #1 IMO, but he’s good, and he settled into the role as an NHL regular. Bowey played, it was a bleep show, this fanbase didn’t want to recognize it but we were not fielding NHL dman the last two years.

This season our roster had a lot of turnover, we sat out for months while 80% of the league returned and played, no informal offseason, no camp, no preseason, and then we got hit with covid, and we don’t have much talent to begin with.  That’s why I defend Blashill, he’s not great, but this era of losing is not on him, I trust that if it was, Yzerman would have fired him already.

BTW, this team is better WITHOUT BOBBY RYAN.  Keep it that way.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 08:30 AM ET

Then by this logic, if Blashill is doing a better job with a better roster, why not give him a chance with possibly an even better roster next year?
I sort of disagree with you on 2 points, Yes, we have a good second line, but we don’t have a first line.
I also see no correlation between good results and Ryan absence from the team.
But he is UFA so SY will make a decision.
As far as UFAs, I would definitely resign Staal and one of Helm or Glen.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 08:43 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I don’t think Yzerman would fire Blashill mid-season unless theres truly something egregious. It’s not the “Red Wing Way.”

But the way they have played their last few games, against Chicago who is sorta in the playoff picture, and then against two top teams in Carolina and Tampa Bay…these players have not given up on Blashill, despite the numerous amounts of 7-1 losses in the last 3 years where it felt like they had.

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/16/21 at 08:51 AM ET

I actually agree with MurrayChadwick ... which has been something of a rarity in recent years.

Given the circumstances the team is doing as well or better than we reasonably could have hoped during the off-season.  We were widely projected to be the worst team in hockey again—just based on talent level, not taking the weird offseason into account—and if someone had told us in advance what our injury and covid situation would be, I think most of us would have agreed that we’d still be the worst.  Well, we’re not —partially because Buffalo looked at us last season and said “hold my beer”, but partially because we’re a bit better than expected.

Some of the personnel moves have worked and others have not, but they were all low-risk gambles, so that’s completely fine.  Not have a shambles on the blueline is the main difference, but Blashill does deserve credit.  I’m not saying it follows that he deserves another year—if Yzerman thinks he can upgrade at the position he should do so regardless of whether Blash deserves a “reward”.

Posted by captaineclectic on 04/16/21 at 08:54 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I also see no correlation between good results and Ryan absence from the team.
But he is UFA so SY will make a decision.
As far as UFAs, I would definitely resign Staal and one of Helm or Glen.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 08:43 AM ET

I firmly believed that this was Blashill’s last year, contract expired so he doesn’t have to be “fired”, lots of roster turn, should have an offseason, and it was just time for a new voice, set a new tone/energy, but the way they are playing, if he finishes out this way, well, I’m no longer 100% but I would still be shocked. Yzerman would have to sign him to a 2 year deal, and that’s an issue, you can’t resign him as a lame duck.

Ryan was terrible, he did nothing but consume minutes on our top lines, didn’t drive play, turned a lot of pucks over, he was like a much less productive version of Mantha. I haven’t done the research so I could be wrong, but seams to me we’ve won more without him in the lineup, than when he’s in.

agree with you on the UFAs, 100% would bring Staal back and either Helm or Glenny.  Need to be done with Gagner and Flipula for sure though. I’m guessing Yzerman does not bring Schevy back.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 08:55 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I can’t help but think that Blashill’s comments about Vrana and Panik’s competitiveness were a subtle jab at Mantha and what he lacked. Also, for those that say that big hockey players just look lazy by default, take a look at Ras recently. Very impressed with his desire and determination.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 04/16/21 at 08:58 AM ET

Ras took the biggest step forward out of all our prospects and it has to do with his skating imo that improved dramatically compared to last season. I always had him as 4th line banger and PP net front presence which is really a disaster for a 9th overall pick. But he is becoming a player I never thought he could be. If he starts putting points on the board, we might have something there.
Zadina totally bought into the Blashill system to back check and be responsible defensively and looks like a complete player. Also, needs to score more to get into the next level. Both of these developments are because of Blashill imo. He also wanted AA and Mantha to become all around players and did not succeed. Both players are not here, but Blashill is here. I am a true believer that every coach needs players to realize his ideas on the ice and maybe only now he is getting the players HE WANTS.
I was very excited about Vrana yesterday and offensively he was as advertised, but defensively he was as lackadaisical as Mantha imo.
What I really liked is his interview after the game when he very genuinely (at least imo)  said how great and supportive all the guys are and it’s a great lockeroom. I totally understand every player says it, but he did sound very genuine about it.
I also understand after next loss, we all be back criticizing every player and of course Blashill (last 3 wins and some of the forum regulars are not even participating in the discussion, but they will be back after next loss).

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 09:25 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

BTW, this team is better WITHOUT BOBBY RYAN.  Keep it that way.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 08:30 AM ET

I agree. Have thought so all season.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 04/16/21 at 09:47 AM ET

Ya, Im no longer certain.  All the speculation, conspiracy, etc, is all in our own heads.  We have no idea how Yzerman views Blash.  He might think he’s an awesome coach.  The lack of contract renewal is interesting though….. that is the biggest reason that leads me to believe at a minimum he’s considering his options.

I don’t hate on him as much.  How do you evaluate him with the pile of a roster we’ve had most years.  I don’t care either way to be honest.  He seems to want the right things out of players, want to play high tempo hockey… so if he’s back.  I don’t mind. If he isn’t… Im ok too.

I think I agree with Murray on Ryan.  On one hand, he’s a great dude, and with the puck out front, he’s fairly deadly.  But that’s it. Dude just can’t skate well enough anymore.  If we had a much more competitive roster and you’re rolling him situationally, on the third line… might be ok, but him in the top 6?

I hope Svech is back, he hasn’t looked bad, I mean give the kid a chance…but of course, he’s hurt agian.

Lets think next year, with no FAs….. who do you bring back?

Larkin Zadina Bertuzzi
Ras Namestikov Vranna
Fabbri, Erne, Svech
Smith, Glenny?, Panik
Brome

I mean, I’d say no to helm, not sure on Glenny… (maybe Glenny on a 1 year? for trade bait?)

A lot depends on Svech back or not.  What they think of Brome.  Veleno’s readyness,  Raymonds readyness…

Since Panik is here though, I think Glenny and Helm are at least both out of the question.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 04/16/21 at 09:56 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Rasmussen’s development has been eye-opening.  I watched the last half of the 2nd period last night and someone on the Wings laid a huge open ice hit - looked, and it sure enough was #27.

Zadina is another example of someone who’s made huge progress this season.  It was only a few months ago there was speculation both of these guys were busts.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/16/21 at 10:00 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Frans Nielsen assigned to the taxi squad.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/16/21 at 10:20 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 07:13 AM ET

Well, whether you’re a player or a head coach, there’s always something pretty motivating about being in a contract year. Or maybe it just took Blashill six years to figure out how to be an NHL head coach. For me personally, I don’t care which it is, I still don’t want him back – even if they win the final 11 games.

Gallant is still available and he’d probably be the right guy to lead the Wings through the next phase of their rebuild. But if Yzerman thinks Jeff is the guy for, say, the next two years, so be it. I’ve ignored his blathering about “process” for the past four years, I guess I can do it for another two.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/16/21 at 10:21 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Agreed. He’s not known for his defensive game, but I’m hoping it improves. I still think he’ll be more of a nuisance on the forecheck than Mantha ever was. It seems like we traded some of the pure offense Mantha provides for a little more speed and tenacity. I’m not surprised that 2 of the best games this season came with Mantha out of the lineup. This team cannot afford any passengers.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 04/16/21 at 10:29 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I think if you can figure out how Adam Erne went from easily the most-underwhelming player last season (and early this season)... to the 4th active scorer on the roster… you can maybe figure out what’s happened with some other players.  And for the record, I have absolutely no idea what ever changed for Erne.  But he’s not just on the stat sheet, he’s INCREDIBLY noticeable out there on the ice of late.

Maybe it’s just as simple as it not being Blashill, or Yzerman, or any specific players, it’s just the roster as a whole is genuinely starting to find an identity.

Posted by Primis on 04/16/21 at 10:48 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I don’t see Yzerman promoting any forward to start the season next year that didn’t get some time this year like Smith,  Seider is a probability on the back end, but I think that is it. Maybe if the top 3 pick is ready, but I see him holding them back.

Listening to the Mantha press conference, it’s pretty obvious that Yzerman doesn’t expect us to be legit for 4 years, I say legit as in that 2nd tier behind the 4 bonafied contenders.

With that said, its smart cap management to not start these prospects pro contracts, assuming my simpleton understanding of the CBA and cap.

I also think he wants to start being competitive in regard to nipping at the playoffs, but no matter where we sit, will plan to be a seller, and will probably add a UFA like Ryan and keep UFAs like Staal with hopes of unloading them at the deadline.

I also have no doubt with the state of the hockey revenues, and the cap pressure on some teams like Tampa, Yzerman will make another trade or 2 taking a player for picks or a prospects.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 11:08 AM ET

Speaking about next year roster, we need to remember that we will have to expose certain players to Kraken, so will have to choose between Svech, Panik, Namestnikov, etc

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 11:25 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Vrana post game interview just appeared on YouTube, so I added it to this post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/16/21 at 11:28 AM ET

Ya good points everyone.  I also think next year, maybe more movement at the trade deadline as well.  I think a guy like Glenny would have gone somewhere in a normal year (unless steve doesn’t really want to trade him maybe).
Do you resign Staal?  That is tough… he’s been good at times, but he’s been as bad as advertised at others.  Im ok either way, but if you want to get Seider in,  and give Lindstrom a shot…. I guess these games will be telling for him, and for Cholo.

I do like the character this team is starting to develop though.  We are still so weak down the middle though.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 04/16/21 at 11:37 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 11:25 AM ET

Posted by DieByTheWing on 04/16/21 at 11:37 AM ET

Isn’t it a given that the Kraken are either going to take Lindstrom or Cholo, whichever we leave available?

It is in my mind, unsure if you guys feel otherwise. I mean Svech and Panik have both cleared waivers multiple times, and would be on 1 year deals, and Namestov has 1 year left. Could we be forced to expose Vrana or Fabri maybe? Not sure I haven’t done the math recently.

If its Cholo or Lindstrom, and I had to choose at this point, I see us not having 2 1st round picks with us next year, Svech not resigned and Cholo taken.

Hronek
DDK
Seider
Stecher
Lindstrom/Cholo
Staal

Djoos as our #7

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 11:55 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

FWIW I like Lindstrom’s hustle better than Cholo’s - he’s strong in the corners and keeps his engine running.  Who knows which will evolve better hockey sense but I think he’s a strong 3rd pairing D-man.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/16/21 at 12:05 PM ET

Do you resign Staal?

Yes, don’t underestimate his positive calming influence on our young dman plus he seems to be a perfect teammate.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 12:15 PM ET

As to resigning Helm and Glen, I don’t see either taking less than a 3 year deal and I don’t think they will be that effective in 1-2 years, especially Helm.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 12:18 PM ET

As I recall, each of the Blashill season include some extended streak, usually after the trade deadline that has fans thinking that they finally turned the corner.  Yet, year after year, they regress back to the norm.

Blashill teams have been very, very consistent throughout his tenure.  I have only watched a few games this year so maybe you guys are seeing something I’m not, but he and his team have been pretty much the same year over year including signs of improvement which disappear pretty quickly and showing the good games to be the outlier and not the norm.

So no, he doesn’t deserve more time and he should have been gone years ago.

Posted by Ventr on 04/16/21 at 12:24 PM ET

depends on who else is exposed from other teams. I will not be surprised they take Svech.

Could we be forced to expose Vrana or Fabri maybe?

No, they will not be exposed imo.
Dylan Larkin, Tyler Bertuzzi, Robby Fabbri, Vrana and Michael Rasmussen will be protected. That leaves 2 spots and one of them imo should go to Erne I think. The other one will have to choose between Svech, Nas, Panik I think.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 12:25 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I you haven’t seen this, check this out, this is pretty slick…

Expansion Draft Tool

I would be floored if Kraken took Svech, I believe he’s almost out of team control, unlike Cholo or Lindstom, who can still be sent to the minors next year I believe without passing waivers.

I think this fanbase is way overvaluing Svech because he’s a former 1st, I had hopes for him, but he was left exposed and unclaimed 2x on waivers now, and I think Yzerman might not even bring him back. Val Filpula is playing over him.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 12:33 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 12:25 PM ET

Givani needs to be protected assuming that tool is right. I have the wings protecting him and Erne, exposing Svech, Hirose, Namestinov.

I am also assuming Yzerman protects Stetcher, but he is a UFA after ‘22, if Cholo and Lindstrom light it up, maybe he opts not to, but I doubt it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 12:37 PM ET

And by the way, we can protect both Cholo and Lindstrom and expose Stetcher, which is a separate discussion

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 12:43 PM ET

Val Filpula is playing over him.

Svech was injured yesterday

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 12:46 PM ET

Givani needs to be protected

Yes, but is he thar important to protect? Do you see him developing into anything more than a 4th line banger that could be found in the market every year for little money?

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 12:49 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

What happened to Svech? I didn’t see that, dude can’t stay healthy.

Givani over Svech who we have waived 2x, yes 100%. He has more team control, and we need size and toughness up front in our lineup. There’s not many players out there with the skill to play, be productive, forecheck with size and strength, and drop the mitts and protect teammates.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 01:39 PM ET

What happened to Svech?

Upper body, that’s all we know

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 01:44 PM ET

d ca's avatar

The biggest changes are: 1) the pressure is off (except for Choloski and Lindstrom) because there are no expectations on this team and 2) prospects are finally starting to become regulars in the lineup.

***********************
Raymond just signed his ELC
**************************************8

Pressure
No trade deadline pressure (done)
No expectations to make playoffs/show improvement on last year (done)

Schedule/Match-up
Detroit’s had Carolina’s pretty much all year (call it the I’m paying you back for giving us COVID team)

They beat Tampa on the end of a back-to-back and while watching the Tampa broadcast the announcers kept talking pre-game about not taking a game against a bottom dweller lightly and looking past it.

Chicago’s pretty much a .500 team and Detroit is 2-7 against them. There still missing Toews. 3 wins is not unexpected.

I’ve posted before about the expansion draft and no one is yet to make an argument against it. Namestnikov or Cholo/Lindstrom (non-protected) is who I expect to be taken.

Finally, Detroit going on a self-decapitating lottery draft odds free-fall is something we’ve seen before and it cost them the number one pick in the Hughes draft. This time is probably not going to be a better result and all it does is lengthen the rebuild.

Posted by d ca on 04/16/21 at 03:03 PM ET

I know we already had this discussion, I will never be a proponent of intentional losing to increase the odds. It just does not work in most of the cases. I don’t have time to go through the stats, but how many last place teams won the lottery? I bet not many in the last 10 years. We already tried if last year to get a generational talent and ended up with the 4th pick, karma if you ask me and let’s see if in 10 years Raymond is that much worse. And also this year not much difference between picks 2 to 10 I believe. And even consensus #1 pick is not a sure thing in this draft.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/21 at 03:14 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

What I’ve seen is a system change. The breakouts have been so much cleaner over the past couple of weeks. We’re seeing puck support. And that applies to both controlled breakouts and the scrambled ones.

The defense is in a better position to support each other and not just standing still in the corner. The forwards are staying lower in the zone and doing a better job of getting to the half-wall. There’s been a lot less need to bang it off the glass and out. We’re seeing more high zone flip outs when it is time to relive pressure, where the speedy forwards have a chance to disrupt things and it takes time for the opposing D to settle and attack again. There’s been far fewer bomb outlet passes except as a deliberate tip in for a line change, and a whole lot fewer cross ice passes in the neutral zone.

I don’t know who to attribute this change to. I thought I’d read somewhere that Stevie had a chat with Blash and things changed after that, but that might’ve just been random speculation on a forum. Regardless, its a system this team has been able to handle and its working.

All that said, I’d still like to see a change behind the bench after this season. Gallant is my first choice, but I’m trusting whoever else Yzerman taps for the job.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/16/21 at 03:26 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I hear what your saying, but you can’t tell a professional athlete and team to go lose, tell a coach to bench productive players or limit ice time etc. it is what it is.  Now does Bernier have to start 75% of the games? I mean Greiss is signed next year so we should give him a good look to right?

Right?  wink

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/16/21 at 03:28 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

It’s like there’s two different people/staffs coaching the Wings between when they win and lose. It’s ridiculously bi-polar, and infuriating to say the least. I mean, there’s a visible difference in the structure, meaning there actually is one when they win.

I don’t want Blashill back next year as a head coach. Am I going to cry on my cornflakes if he is back? No, I’ll just watch the same as I always do and hope they win.

Changing tack: I don’t get the “defensively irresponsible” comments regarding Vrana. Dude was actually backchecking last night, and was frequently inside the dots in the defensive zone working to get the puck out. He wasn’t floating or hovering near the blueline waiting for a breakout pass. What more do you want?

Cholo vs Lindstrom vs the world: I still think Cholo has plenty of upside, and he plays a quiet, effective game and moves the puck well. Maybe he becomes the next Brian Lashoff, who knows. Lindstrom I haven’t seen enough of in the NHL, so I can’t really make an informed opinion, but he seems a little timid still. That pass to Vrana last night was money, though, can’t argue with that. But I think Cholo could and would have made the same pass. I think SFY signs some more veteran expansion draft fodder in the off season, and we’ll see who brings it in camp.

Re-sign Glendening, maybe Helm at a highly reduced rate. I’m not sure about Gagner, but it’s either him or Flipper at this point. Gotta have some vets on the team.

Posted by RedMenace from Fuck HFBoards on 04/16/21 at 05:45 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Oh, and *#$%@& tanking.

Posted by RedMenace from Fuck HFBoards on 04/16/21 at 05:46 PM ET

Oh, and *#$%@& tanking.

Posted by RedMenace from *#$%@& HFBoards on 04/16/21 at 05:46 PM ET

+19.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 04/16/21 at 06:24 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »