Abel to Yzerman

Marc Staal In COVID Protocol

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Dan Renouf recalled.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/06/21 at 10:41 AM ET

I might be in the minority, but I like what Staal brings to the team. He does pretty well against the kids for the most part.

Posted by pnwwing on 12/06/21 at 10:57 AM ET

Yes, he has size and positioning down, it’s just that his speed is lacking to match up with the kids’ speed in today’s game

Posted by exor54 on 12/06/21 at 11:09 AM ET

I might be in the minority, but I like what Staal brings to the team.

I don’t think you are in minority

Posted by VPalmer on 12/06/21 at 12:14 PM ET

I still really like the idea of getting a 2nd round pick on the way
in, for taking a big contract from a team in a crunch, rather than signing a guy who is older and hoping you can get a pick at the deadline if he’s playing well and healthy.

Then if the player has something left and fills a role, you can opt to keep him at a much cheaper, short-term deal.

Of course we paid a moderately high price for Leddy.
(You think about Colorado getting a younger maybe more solid
Devon Towes from NYI for two seconds - yes, Sakic is also a very good
GM and no SY can’t be in on or win every under the radar move).
But Leddy is taking a lot of pressure off of not only Seider but Hronek.
He’s getting the puck to forwards in a position to do something with it.
(Hey all: remember when Nemeth and Biega were our biggest minute pairing,
and terminally injured, aged D like Ericsson and Daley, and experiments like
Madison Bowey filled out the roster?)

It’ll be very interesting to see what’s next.
Seider, Hronek, and Lindstrom are all we know for sure.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/06/21 at 02:30 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I might be in the minority, but I like what Staal brings to the team.

I don’t think you are in minority

Posted by VPalmer on 12/06/21 at 12:14 PM ET

I like Staal too. He’s a smart player, a good mentor. Solid positionally as exor54 pointed out. So that’s the trade off for the missing speed for now.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/06/21 at 06:04 PM ET

Posted by pnwwing on 12/06/21 at 10:57 AM ET

He’s been great imo.  Best rendition of Marc Staal we could get.

Watching warm-ups before the Isles game when everyone is cycling through taking turns shooting he tried a move on griess he easily blocked and Staal looks to the rafters screaming come on man! Tongue in cheek of course but was funny.  Very good veteran.

Posted by ThatGuy on 12/06/21 at 06:24 PM ET