Abel to Yzerman

Make Some News

Today's news on the Wings is the same old, same old.  Maybe change a few words around but there is nothing new to post.

So this post is yours, comment on anything hockey related if you'd like.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Tony Garcia of the Detroit Free Press with results from mock drafts from a few media sites…

ESPN: C Marco Kasper, Rögle (Sweden)
The Red Wings have been viewed as a team that needs help on defense, but ESPN’s Greg Wyshynski sees them grabbing a forward in Marco Kasper.

Kasper, 18, just finished his first professional season in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL), with seven goals and four assists in 46 regular-season games.

Kasper was elected captain of Austria’s World Junior Championship team and played in two games before the tournament was canceled in December. Standing 6 feet 2 and 187 pounds, he’s known for his speed and agility and is seen as someone with a high floor.

“The words ‘consensus choice’ and ‘Steve Yzerman’ don’t usually coexist,” Wyshynski wrote. “That said, too many pundits and insiders see this match between a versatile, high-character Austrian center and the Red Wings for us not to concede the choice here.

“He’s a terrific competitor, albeit with a lower ceiling than some of the other options available here.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/22 at 09:38 AM ET

Paul's avatar

from Kevin Allen of Detroit Hockey Now,

Mock drafts have varied significantly in the ramp up to tonight’s first round. The various projections have had the Red Wings selecting a USA U-18 player such as Cutter Gauthier, Frank Nazar or Jimmy Snuggerud. The Red Wings have also been tagged to select Swedes Jonathan Lekkerimani or Marcus Kasper or Finn Joakim Kemell. Winnipeg Ice dynamic small center Matthew Savoie and his teammate Conor Geekie have also been listed at No. 8.

Kasper Projection
Hockey Now draft expert Marco D’Amico has projected the Red Wings grabbing Kasper at No. 8 in his 2022 NHL mock draft.

But he also says he wouldn’t be surprised if the Columbus Blue Jackets take Kasper at No. 7. Kasper is an Austrian center who plays in Sweden

“This whole thing could go a lot of different ways. You look at all the public lists
and they can vary,” Yzerman said.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/22 at 10:16 AM ET

That’s really the key. You go with the character guy, good player who will definitely be in NHL, but possibly as a third line center or you go with a riskier player in terms of character, but more talented. I trust SY to make the right call here.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/07/22 at 10:18 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m still pulling for Steve to pick Savoie. He may be a riskier pick because he’s 5’9” (or 5’10”) but he’s a solid 180lbs and he’s described as one of the fastest skater available in the 1st round.

And I love this description from Chris Peters of Daily Faceoff on
Savoie’s mynhldraft.com page: “If there’s one thing I thought was even better this season for Savoie, it’s that he just battles. He didn’t play like a 5-foot-9 player. There’s an aggressiveness and a desire to physically engage with the opposition.”

And the other evaluations of Savoie lists qualities like:
• a top-line playmaker with good hands and is exceptional on special teams.
• his skating and puck-handling abilities in small spaces stand out.
• he can create magic in the offensive zone and in transition, with blazing speed, shifty footwork and hands, and a tremendous release and playmaking ability.
• a burning skater with explosiveness that allows him to win races, separate in transition, and put defenders onto their heels, or dash through holes in coverage to the net (or draw a penalty).
• an excellent passer, who can run a power play, hit seams at a high rate and make tough plays under duress.

His scouting report on lines.com is equally glowing.
“He’s an explosive skater, and someone who boasts an elite release but will also work his ass off to steal a puck. He displays jam on the wall, and (he) really sees the game well so he spends less time chasing the play by his reads. He is contantly finishing plays he started. There may be something here that will flourish in the big leagues.”

Go get him, Stevie.  angry

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/07/22 at 11:39 AM ET

I want Savioe too but am thinking he’ll be gone by 8. Gauthier does make a lot of sense because even if he doesn’t project as a top-2 centerman at the NHL level he’s a big, strong winger on the left side. I’m just stoked to get things moving this off season.

Posted by godblender on 07/07/22 at 12:13 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I didn’t think I would get to watch the draft but I just tested positive for that virus thing so I guess I’ll have plenty of time to actually watch it now.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/07/22 at 12:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

TK, hope you don’t suffer with any of the symptoms.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/22 at 12:30 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 07/07/22 at 12:26 PM ET

Praying for your speedy recovery, Tre.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/07/22 at 12:49 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Thanks Paul. My Main concern is our 7 month old baby. He actually was sick before me so there’s the chance he has it too or could still get it from me. He seems to be on the mend, fortunately. I just feel bad for my wife having to take care of him while he’s sick basically on her own.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/07/22 at 12:52 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Best wishes for you and the family, TK. Hopefully Stevie Y will give you something to smile about tonight.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/07/22 at 01:59 PM ET

Hoping to witness another Stevie Y surprise maneuver tonight, just to get us all jazzed up.

That is all.

Posted by nctheo on 07/07/22 at 06:24 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

All my best, Tre.

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/07/22 at 06:51 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/22 at 10:16 AM ET

This confused me so I had to check: CBJ has the #6 pick, Ottawa just traded #7 to Chicago

Posted by EthrDemon on 07/07/22 at 07:01 PM ET