Abel to Yzerman

Looks Like Dennis Cholowski Is Headed To Seattle

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

RorSchach's avatar

I thought most people figures Stecher was going to be taken. I can live with it. Stetch can hold his own.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/21/21 at 06:09 PM ET

I’ll take Stech all day every day over Cholo.

Posted by pnwwing on 07/21/21 at 06:15 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Works for me. Cholowski has not really clicked here. He needs a new start. Good Luck in Seattle.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 06:16 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

“The Master of no Leaks” lmao

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/21/21 at 06:17 PM ET

The club is better for still having Stecher. I’m glad he wasn’t selected. I can’t wait to see what trades are forthcoming.

Posted by godblender on 07/21/21 at 06:19 PM ET

Stetcher is only 3 years older than Cholowski

Posted by VPalmer on 07/21/21 at 06:20 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Cholowsk never seemed to be able to step up his defensive game.  confused Maybe he will in Seattle. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 07/21/21 at 06:37 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hmmm…I wonder if the Kracken will scratch Cholowski when they play their first game against Vancouver too…

I don’t expect the kid to suddenly transform into Bobby Orr, but I expect him to be a steady defenseman who can skate and get the puck up ice.

He was #20 selection in the draft, so not a game changer type of player, but I think his development, or as some here might say, lack of, was mishandled. Hope he succeeds in a new system.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/21/21 at 06:41 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

The love for Stetcher, 3rd pair dman on one of the worst blue lines in the league and is in the final year of his deal is a bit surprising considering the frowns over Leddy who is of the same mold but 2x a better player. Not to mention Seattle passed him over.

Well Yzerman has made a move that plants a stake in the ground, if he paid to get Leddy to expose Cholo protecting Lindstom as well.  If Cholo becomes a good NHL dman for Seattle and we get nada for Leddy and Gustov fails, it’s a stain on him. I trust Yzerman knows what he’s doing and Cholo is just Jakob Kindl though

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 07/21/21 at 06:41 PM ET

the frowns over Leddy

People did not like giving up second rounder for him, I did not hear much about frowning over Leddy as a player. And if Stetcher was Left handed, he would have been our second pair dman.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/21/21 at 06:48 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I thought for sure it was going to be Glendening after reports of Seattle UFA signing today.  This was more expected.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/21/21 at 06:57 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If Cholo becomes a good NHL dman for Seattle

What is your criteria for good? He was passable here but never earned a spot.

Its always a risk.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 07:00 PM ET

Seattle would not have been out of bounds for signing Glendening as a UFA from Detroit if for nothing more (even though, given his age) they would have one of the best face off and penalty killers in the league, and provided the team with decent leadership.

Posted by exor54 on 07/21/21 at 07:02 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Cholo is 23 - his potential is entirely unknown at this point because it could be a couple years until he starts to find his stride.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/21/21 at 07:04 PM ET

SY basically preferred Lindstrom over Cholowski, have to trust his judgement here.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/21/21 at 07:11 PM ET

What is your criteria for good?

Playing actual defense and not being a complete sieve would be a good start.

Posted by beantownredwings on 07/21/21 at 07:15 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 07/21/21 at 06:48 PM ET

Give uo 2nd rounder for Leddy 1yr UFA = Frowns

Give up former 1st rounder, 23 with team control for Stecher 1yr UFA not nearly in the same league as Leddy = smiles or relief.

Don’t understand it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 07/21/21 at 07:19 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

What is your criteria for good? He was passable here but never earned a spot.
Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement

If in 2-3 years Cholo is playing in a higher pair than Lindstrom and we get nothing more back from Leddy than the 2nd we gave to get him, I’d say that’s a L for Stevie in my mind.  I trust that won’t be the case tho but that is the line I would thing.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 07/21/21 at 07:23 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

his potential is entirely unknown at this point

So you think Norris trophy winner in 2 years? I don’t see they path to that. It would be a miracle.

He might get bigger minutes on a weak defense but that doesn’t mean good.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 07:24 PM ET

Losing Colowski means nothing whatsoever to me. Yzerman very clearly didn’t believe in him and didn’t see a future for him in Detroit. Period. Yzerman knows more than I do.

I like BOTH Leddy and Stecher. Possession numbers and other analytics indicate that Leddy immediately became our best defenceman once acquired. What’s not to like about Stecher? He’s a solid if unspectacular player who can be relied upon on a still bad team. Having someone like him possibly on your 3rd pairing is nothing but a good thing in my estimation. Plus he’s cheap. You can always flip both players for more picks at the deadline.

Posted by godblender on 07/21/21 at 07:28 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Ok. I can see that. I am hoping we were protecting Leddy for some team (Hawks) for a bigger return.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 07:28 PM ET

Give uo 2nd rounder for Leddy 1yr UFA = Frowns

Give up former 1st rounder, 23

Because Cholowski is old news already. He has been underwhelming, but with 58th pick people expect us to get next Kucherov. A second rounder is a new toy.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/21/21 at 07:32 PM ET

Leddy is our best dman on paper, but his possession and analytic numbers are good also because he played for a much better team and a much better coach, possibly the best coach in the league

Posted by VPalmer on 07/21/21 at 07:37 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

but with 58th pick people expect us to get next Kucherov.

No not at all but the bulk of teams are made up of lower picks. They can’t all be McDavids and ( who is that guy from Pittsburgh again? ).

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 07:41 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’m happy to see Stetcher staying in Motown.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/21/21 at 07:43 PM ET

the bulk of teams are made up of lower picks

Yes, but all contenders except for Boston have 2-3 top 10 picks mostly in their prime.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/21/21 at 07:49 PM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

I’m happy with this. Watching Cholo try to defend always gave me Brandon Smith flashbacks. I bet he doesn’t play another hundred games in the league.

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 07/21/21 at 07:53 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Yes. It helps to have those players. The Red Wings hopefully have 3 in the coming years with Seider, Raymond, and Zadina, these coming drafts are for those complimentary players that make a cup winner.

The grind line of Draper, Maltby and Mac scored some big goals on the way to cups.
Those picks are important.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 07:58 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Meh.

Posted by RedMenace from A Tormented Hellscape on 07/21/21 at 08:07 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Meh.

Meh…...lol

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 08:46 PM ET

I like our current “top 6” more than I liked it the other way with Cholo and without Stecher.  Cholo couldn’t hold a spot on a terrible roster—at 23—and played poorly when he did.  To put his age in context, 9 2016 defensemen have played more NHL games than him, including several drafted after him (including obviously Hronek) and/or on better teams. There’s no reason to think he’s about to flip a switch.

Stecher, in contrast, made Staal, a bad player, look good.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/21/21 at 08:52 PM ET

You can tell it’s already been a long off-season for detroit fans

Posted by ThatGuy on 07/21/21 at 09:20 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

made Staal, a bad player, look good.

I didn’t mind Staal. I thought he played physical and safe for what a decent defenseman should do in the NHL. He seemed to close the gaps and not make blithering mistakes like the previous dmen did.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/21/21 at 09:43 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

I’m happy, we have a good young defence and a middle aged goat.  The view from here is great.  Now we need to shore up the goalie system and defensively do you think we could knock off 100 goals next year???

Surprised that the Kraken went so conservative, looking at the list, to me would be hard pressed to beat the Gryphons’  Maybe their fans won’t know what a bag of pucks they got. Name players, none worth over a few million a season.  Giordano, seems to be one who jumps out.  An old friend Callie Jarnkok, poped up as well.  I think they should of followed the Golden Knights, I can’t see them making the playoffs like Vegas did.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 07/21/21 at 09:48 PM ET

d ca's avatar

I am glad everyone is brushing this to the side, BUT lets all take a moment and remember why we had Cholowski in the first place——Ken Holland’s ineptitude. Remember Cholowski is the result of Holland believing he had a shot at Stamkos when he didn’t even get a call back. He traded back from pick 16 to 20 and gave up Jakob Chychrun to move Datsyuk’s contract.

...and if that weren’t bad enough Holland compounded the error by using the money set aside to sign Frans Nielsen to a term no other team would touch.

...and the Wings are still paying for it for yet another year.

Posted by d ca on 07/21/21 at 09:50 PM ET

d_ca, you’re 1000% correct.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/21/21 at 10:01 PM ET

Same genius just let Adam Larsson walk to Seattle.  He will never win another Cup unless he returns to Detroit to fetch Yzerman’s coffee.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/21/21 at 10:02 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I mean, I could’ve produced and entire diatribe on why I disagreed with letting Cholo go over Lindstrom, but as with any internet discussion, it’s really not worth the time or effort.

Posted by RedMenace from A Tormented Hellscape on 07/21/21 at 10:20 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Wth, who said anything about winning the Norris trophy???!

Posted by TreKronor on 07/21/21 at 10:21 PM ET

Same genius just let Adam Larsson walk to Seattle

Yeah, good old KH is looking more and more like the GM time forgot.

Posted by akwingsfan on 07/21/21 at 10:44 PM ET