Abel to Yzerman

Live Stream - Steve Yzerman Pre-Draft Press Conference

via the YouTube page of the Detroit Red Wings,

Red Wings EVP & GM Steve Yzerman speaks ahead of the 2022 NHL Draft this week.  Join the Word on Woodward’s Art Regner & Ken Kal as they break down the news live from Little Caesars Arena.

Watch below, scheduled to start at 3:25pm.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

d ca's avatar

1) Russians not off the draft board in Detroit.
2) Taking best available player in the 1st round not drafting for a position of need. Wouldn’t answer if they would take a forward if both prospects graded equally.
3) Almost accidentally said Marc Staal was coming back (then corrected it to not closing the door on any of Detroit’s free agents).

Posted by d ca on 07/05/22 at 04:24 PM ET

Posted by d ca on 07/05/22 at 04:24 PM ET

I’m expecting this to happen, d ca.  There were some nights when I did get the chance to watch Wings hockey the MStaal was the best defenseman playing actual defense for the Wings.  Blocking shots.  Taking away passing lanes.  Closing gaps before the headman gets to the Wings blueline.  Forcing plays to the boards near the blue so his team can change lines quickly.  Oh.  It was a sight to behold.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/05/22 at 04:35 PM ET

“I’m trying to think of a good way to answer that without answering it. I’m just not going to answer it. How’s that?”

Ha

Posted by godblender on 07/05/22 at 05:17 PM ET

Ha

Posted by godblender on 07/05/22 at 05:17 PM ET

Fricking A+.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/05/22 at 05:21 PM ET

Staal absolutely should be back on a 1 year deal imo

Posted by VPalmer on 07/05/22 at 06:14 PM ET

Just thinking about this and it cracks me up to no end:  he has to get up to the cap floor at $61 million and he’s currently at $47 million and THEN he has the ability to spend to the cap at $82.5 million IF HE WANTED.  That’s over $35 million he could play with.  There are almost NO bad contracts he has to worry about.  Richard Panik and Frans Nielsen come off the books after this season and he only has the $1 million and change for Abdelkader’s buyout.  The only uncertainty and I’m not really that worried about it is Derek Lalonde and his new coaching staff and how the team will respond.

Giddy time to be a Wings fan.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/05/22 at 06:42 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Giddy time to be a Wings fan.

I think you hit the nail on the head SYF. I believe Yzerman was waiting for all this cap space to throw the rebuild in a higher gear.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/05/22 at 07:23 PM ET

Actually, I saw a post by d ca about two weeks that caught my attention and how much actual cap space Yzerman has to work with.  And then he breaks it down to potential re-signings by position and it was impressive.

But in general, just to see Yzerman working with the second most cap space is like anticipating Christmas morning.  Haven’t felt like that since the pre-cap summer days when Holland could sign anyone he wanted because the league’s best players only wanted the Cup and weren’t really chasing the dollar.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/05/22 at 09:28 PM ET

d ca's avatar

On a 1 year deal, if Staal is your 3rd pair LHD—-and you swing and miss at the 26-28 yr olds—then okay, but I just don’t like Staal pairing with Hronek on the 2nd pair.

I really want Olli Maatta as the 2nd pair LHD. My thinking is he can slide down to that 3rd pair if Edvinsson impresses. If not, Maatta may be the best fix for Hronek—as Maatta is a defensive defender with decent speed (and that is what Hronek needs). Look at his strengths and you see why:

” [/img]

Posted by d ca on 07/05/22 at 10:51 PM ET

d ca's avatar

First of all wanted to say thanks…posts like the one you referred to take time.

Unfortunately regarding the cap, you also have to remember it’s actually Cheap Ilitch’s team. And in the end he controls the purse-strings.

If SY is allowed to spend to the cap, I would be impressed. It would speed along the rebuild—as I trust SY’s FA spending much, much more than KH’s judgement. But even if allowed by ownership, I think SY would hold some cap space back to see if anything materializes at the deadline and to reserve space for future RFA needs.

I urge you to temper expectations on the UFA market though. The Wings need most is a #1 centre and a 1st pair LHD. And frankly, those positions don’t make it to market very often.

That is why I think the next 43 hours and 50 some minutes as of this post are important. You need to be active on the trade market and those tend to take place before the draft.

Posted by d ca on 07/05/22 at 11:08 PM ET