Abel to Yzerman

E60 Unrivaled

I posted this a few days ago in the comment section but here it is again.

from the ESPN Press Room,

ESPN+ To Have Extended Version with Exclusive Content On-Demand After Initial Airing

One of the most intense rivalries in sports history will be relived in Unrivaled, a new, two-hour ESPN E60 program debuting Sunday, June 26, at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN. The program is hosted by Jeremy Schaap.

The Colorado Avalanche, currently playing in the Stanley Cup Final, and the Detroit Red Wings became heated rivals 25 years ago. Since that time, the landscape of the National Hockey League has changed through a series of events that would impact players and their cities forever.

After Sunday afternoon’s initial airing, an extended version of Unrivaled with exclusive content will be available for on-demand streaming on ESPN+. The TV version will re-air in prime time on Monday, June 27, at 8 p.m. on ESPN2 and at 9 p.m. on Thursday, June 30 on ESPN, and re-air on Sunday, June 26, at 4 p.m. on ESPN2.

continued

If you are watching or plan to, feel free to chime in.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s on. I’m all in!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 06/26/22 at 01:02 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Cool, so we have to have multiple channels for games AND special content like this. I love chasing the NHL as it hops around making us play whack-a-mole to find all their stuff. Guess I’ll just pirate this, too.

Posted by Steeb on 06/26/22 at 04:12 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

I watched it, very interesting and compelling show.  While I believe they showed it much more from a DET perspective, I enjoyed this tremendously, and as an “Old Time Hockey/Eddie Shore” fan,  this rivalry was spectacular.

The part about Vlad Konstantinov was so sad, the whole hockey world was saddened by that tragedy.  They said ESPN + has additional content that was not shown.  Did any of you fans attend that session with McCarty and Lemieux - I assume it was in Detroit?  penny for your thoughts on that.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 06/26/22 at 04:27 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Gonna try to remember to circle back about that extra content and post about it here

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/26/22 at 04:56 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

While I believe they showed it much more from a DET perspective

That’s because it’s the “right” perspective wink

I can never root for Colorado, and even though I started the playoffs wanting to see Tampa go down, I’m pulling for them in this series. I’ll never want to see Colarado win ever again.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/26/22 at 05:08 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Spot on Tre K. If Tampa pulls this off, they are legitimately a dynasty.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 06/26/22 at 06:00 PM ET

Similar feeling re: Colorado and Tampa:
A lot of the Bolts have been annoying since their AHL days
and some are what you’d call sneaky dirty players who have
seemed to get away with it more than not. Meanwhile it’s hard to
root for a dynasty when it’s a team yours has battled with from the AHL
to mismatched series we actually made almost close.

But as much as I still think guys like Palat and Kucherov and even Stamkos
can be sneaky dirty and get away with a lot, the dominant feeling is an appreciation for creative and skilled and determined they are. The arguable asterisks one could attach for shortened seasons, weird bubble playoffs, extreme LTIR manipulation, etc.
sort of fade at the possibility of a three-peat. You can see how physically and mentally tired and injury-battered these players are. It’s not only remarkable how they’ve kept finding ways to regroup and win huge games. It’s the entertaining way their skill and chemistry shine through in doing so.

Plus it’s still largely a Stevie Y-built team in terms of its core talent
and coaching. And Colorado is still…man, those uniforms and their media alone
are enough of a reminder. One can admire the talent and skill and roster construction. But that’s just not a franchise you want to see win.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/26/22 at 07:19 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I watched it on ESPN+... and I have to say it’s a really interesting documentary that brings back memories and stirred up emotions. I’ve seen different perspectives of the infamous 26 March 1997 date, but it never gets old.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/27/22 at 12:10 AM ET

Great show- LOTS of memories and emotions back then.

Posted by pnwwing on 06/27/22 at 05:10 PM ET