Abel to Yzerman

Darren Helm To Denver

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

I think I can say without recourse, “Steve Yzerman finally heard you, play the youngsters.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/29/21 at 01:53 PM ET

Good signing for both, Colorado and Helm

Posted by VPalmer on 07/29/21 at 01:57 PM ET

Ya, gives a guy like him a chance to show what he still has in the playoffs.  Helm Vs Glenny, who you got?

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/29/21 at 02:04 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

He has a role to fill, and he’s going to a team that needs that role. Now they not only have speed on their offense and PP, but speed on their PK and defense play too.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/29/21 at 02:12 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/29/21 at 01:53 PM ET

I think its more of a matter of having youth ready to play.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/29/21 at 02:13 PM ET

Thank you, Datten.

Wonder, though, if it makes Herm a Dives fan now.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/29/21 at 02:17 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Raymond, Berggren, and Veleno might actually be given a chance to make the team

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/29/21 at 02:17 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Good for Helm.  Glad he got a chance, glad it’s not in Detroit.  It’s been fun, but it was time.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/29/21 at 02:28 PM ET

It’s a great signing for both parties.  Colorado adds speed and experience to their PK and bottom six on the cheap.  Helmer gets a shot at another cup.  I’m glad he gets a chance to play for a good team, and I’m glad the Wings are making room for some new blood.  Best of luck, Helmer.

Posted by MikeO on 07/29/21 at 02:35 PM ET

Good for Darren. Gets one last chance to chase a cup and gets out of Detroit so the Wings can try to find the next PK specialist. We may not have appreciated his hands like feet enough the last couple years but he’ll definitely be missed. Will never forget the sound of him and Jerome Verrier colliding on the opening drill the 1st day of training camp in 2015. Hopefully he can stay healthy and prove he can still be a vital piece to a contender.

Posted by MZ2215 on 07/29/21 at 02:38 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Position change to Goalie?

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/29/21 at 02:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Best of luck Helmer.  Thanks for the continuous high level of effort.

“The best 3rd line center in the NHL” at one time.

Posted by RWBill on 07/29/21 at 02:47 PM ET

awould's avatar

He was one of my favorites. I still watch this every once in a while.

Posted by awould on 07/29/21 at 03:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

He was one of my favorites. I still watch this every once in a while.

Posted by awould on 07/29/21 at 03:00 PM ET

thanks, that’s a great one.  reminds me of Maltby blocking three shots on the same playoff PK, and in fact he was out there on that shift with Helm in this video.

Posted by RWBill on 07/29/21 at 03:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This is another broadcast of the same shift in HD, and Doc Emrich.

Posted by RWBill on 07/29/21 at 03:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Good luck, Helm. You’re gonna be missed.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/29/21 at 03:10 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Good for Helmer! I was miss Kate saying “the hands of Elm!” During the live blog.

I will miss his heart and energy in a Wings uniform.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/29/21 at 03:12 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

@awould

Great post, thank you!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/29/21 at 03:14 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Best wishes to him.  He was one of my favorites back in 1973.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/29/21 at 03:15 PM ET

43 was my favorite player for a long time. Loved his one man PK’s!!

Posted by pnwwing on 07/29/21 at 03:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I will miss his heart and energy in a Wings uniform.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/29/21 at 03:12 PM ET

LOL smile

A cherished A2Y tradition.

Abdelkader, Luke, Helm, all moved along, or out, in one year.  Time stands still for no one.

Posted by RWBill on 07/29/21 at 03:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

My daughter came in from California for the weekend of H2H2 wearing her White 43, and won the raffle for a signed 43 puck, which she still has.

Posted by RWBill on 07/29/21 at 03:22 PM ET

Helm Vs Glenny, who you got?

Glen hands down mostly because of the face offs and I think he is a little better defensively. Speed almost same now.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/29/21 at 03:29 PM ET

d ca's avatar

I think that Helm was signed for one contract too long already.

He was always the guy that had chances but didn’t have the hands to finish. His last contract really handcuffed the Wings and he was a roadblock for draft talent for a number of years now given the organizations mantra of needing drafted players to be much better (not simply equal or slightly better) to vets to make the team.

I was less than enthusiastic that the Wings brought back Gagner because they needed a warm body forward that shot right-handed, but am glad they didn’t compound that mistake with Ryan or left handed Helm. It is simply time to see what Raymond and Veleno can do.

Looking at the depth chart (to begin the season—Raymond won’t stay a 3rd liner forever and will push Fabbri down)
line 1: ‘lil Bert, Larkin, Vrana
line 2: Fabbri, Pius Suter, Zadina
line 3: Namestnikov, Rasmussen, Raymond
line 4: Erne, Veleno, Gagne
alt: Smith
buried: Nielsen

pair 1: Nick Leddy, Hronek
pair 2: Staal, Stecher
pair 3: DDK, Moritz Seider (expect him to move up as the season goes along)
pair 4: Jordan Oesterle, Lindstrom

goalies: 1a) Nedeljkovic 1b) Greiss

I do think the Wings will go with 8 d-men as they have several older players that need to be protected against overuse particularly in the middle of the season. Whereas, the forwards (minus Gagne) have the opposite issue.

Therefore, I am happy to see Helm gone. There simply wasn’t a roster spot for him and he’s been holding guys like Zadina, Veleno, and Rasmussen back previously—no need to block Raymond/ Berggren’s spots. And as a Wings fan the idea of Raymond/ Berggren is much more appealing than a Helm.

Posted by d ca on 07/29/21 at 03:39 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

He will be missed, especially as that was the last of the 08 roster. Seemed like a good locker room guy too.

May he score a hat trick every game and the Avs lose 4-3.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/29/21 at 04:00 PM ET

I can’t imagine seeing Raymond in a Wings’ sweater this season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays in Sweden for one more year. Yzerman was adamant that he wanted Berggren in GR this year so it’s possible that he gets a call up later in the year but I’d expect he’ll be given a full season in the AHL.

Posted by godblender on 07/29/21 at 04:03 PM ET

Agree, I would give 5% chance Raymond makes a team.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/29/21 at 04:28 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 07/29/21 at 04:28 PM ET

Probably not but that means we get to see Nielsen in Detroit rather than buried in GR. And as a Wings fan, I can’t see paying for seats for more than 1 game a year with the team as constituted—and I’d rather do a road game and make it a mini vacation weekend or something.

Posted by d ca on 07/29/21 at 04:45 PM ET

Posted by d ca on 07/29/21 at 04:45 PM ET

When the Wings play here in Vegas on November 18th, the nosebleed seats are $92 and upwards to about $772 for center ice club seats and about $258 for sections behind the goalies.

And they’re not even premium pricing tickets .  More like middle tier pricing.

le sigh

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/29/21 at 06:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

DENVER – The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that the organization has signed forward Darren Helm to a one-year contract for the 2021-22 season.

Helm, 34, has spent his entire 14-year career with the Detroit Red Wings, appearing in 744 regular-season games and recording 251 points (112g/139a).  He has also skated in 82 career playoff contests (11g/10a) and helped Detroit win the 2008 Stanley Cup as a rookie.  The 6-foot, 192-pound left wing departs the Red Wings with the 17th-most regular season games in the history of the franchise.

“Darren is a high-energy, competitive player who brings veteran leadership to our team,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President / General Manager Joe Sakic.  “He helps our depth up front, is good on faceoffs and is an effective penalty killer.  Darren is a Stanley Cup champion who will be a great addition to our dressing room.”

Selected by Detroit in the fifth round (132nd overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Helm has scored 13 career short-handed goals, a total that ranks eighth in Red Wings history.  He has averaged over two short-handed minutes per game (2:01) and won 51.3% of his faceoffs throughout the course of his career.

A native of St. Andrews, Manitoba, Helm skated in 47 contests for Detroit during the 2020-21 season, tallying eight points (3g/5a).  He played in his 700th NHL game on Jan. 30 vs. Florida.

Helm appeared in 18 of Detroit’s 22 playoff contests during the 2008 Stanley Cup run, recording four points (2g/2a).  A year later, he dressed in all 23 playoff games (4g/1a) and led the NHL with 118 hits as the Red Wings lost to Pittsburgh in seven games during the 2009 Stanley Cup Final.  He scored the series-clinching goal in overtime in Game 5 of the 2009 Western Conference Final against Chicago to send Detroit to its second straight Final.

Prior to turning pro, Helm played three seasons with Medicine Hat, where he was named to the WHL East First All-Star Team in 2005-06 and WHL East Second All-Star Team in 2006-07.  He helped the Tigers reach the Memorial Cup tournament during that 2007 playoff run and was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star Team.  Helm won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2007 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/29/21 at 06:25 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Last player left from the ‘08 Cup team. Let the rebuild commence!  cheese

Posted by Steeb on 07/29/21 at 06:47 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

All the best for Helmer. Stevie is moving on from the past, and preparing for our future.  Now it’s time to pick up Krejeci to show the youngsters how to play a 200 foot game.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 07/29/21 at 08:12 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Steeb’s avatar

Last player left from the ‘08 Cup team. Let the rebuild commence!  cheese

Posted by Steeb on 07/29/21 at 06:47 PM ET

Valtteri Filppula says otherwise.

Posted by d ca on 07/29/21 at 11:08 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Always happens….stubhub seems too overpriced…I agree.

just keep watching the price will drop eventually….it’s the airfare you really have to worry about

Posted by d ca on 07/29/21 at 11:13 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Thank you, Datten.

Wonder, though, if it makes Herm a Dives fan now.

Fuch Denver. The MF’er couldn’t find a team I’d buy his new jersey? Truth is, I still wish Vegas had pick him in their expansion.

We raised #43 to the rafters here in the Darren Helm Memorial House.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/30/21 at 10:20 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

God, I will miss Helmer! I wish him all the best success! Even if it’s with the Dive. Many, many thanks for the last 14 seasons Helmer. Hands of an Elm, indeed.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 07/30/21 at 10:31 AM ET

Primis's avatar

This hurt more than I thought it would.

The Shift™, like awould posted, is always in the back of my mid when it comes to Helmer.  He was just absolutely relentless when he was younger, and DET needed that at the time.  I only wish Helm had a little more finish in him…

On a related note, Nyquist had his own The Shift™ that I don’t know I can ever not think about when I think of him… I hope we remember these moments with these guys because it really highlights how good they actually were.

Posted by Primis on 07/30/21 at 12:31 PM ET

We raised #43 to the rafters here in the Darren Helm Memorial House.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/30/21 at 10:20 AM ET

That’s awesome.

Didn’t mean any offense, Herm.  My apologies.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/01/21 at 12:26 AM ET