Abel to Yzerman

Appears Jeff Blashill Will Return As The Coach For The Wings

What I am hearing from an insider, one of my few, is Jeff Blashill will be returning as the coach of the Detroit Red Wings.

It will be a two-year contract.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Hootinani's avatar

Well, at least two more years until the rebuild can truly start then.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 05/14/21 at 09:30 AM ET

I trust the #Yzerplan but this gives me bitter beer face

Posted by MZ2215 on 05/14/21 at 09:32 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I trust the #Yzerplan but this gives me bitter beer face

Posted by MZ2215 on 05/14/21 at 09:32 AM ET

Switch to liquor, and then take a shot everytime Blash says “real gud”.  You’ll forget your troubles in no time.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 05/14/21 at 09:36 AM ET

I just really don’t think this is that big of deal. He’s done well enough to continue, he improved. If he doesn’t improve next season, he’ll be gone, it doesn’t matter how long of a contract he signs.

What I find really funny is people saying, “Oh no! Yzerman better act quick, the good coaches are getting snatched up!” As if they won’t be fired in two years anyway. There will -always- be a very respectable coaching candidate to take over the reigns.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 05/14/21 at 09:37 AM ET

let the tank continue

Posted by akwingsfan on 05/14/21 at 09:55 AM ET

I agree with this take, but I am afraid even to think what posts are going to come now on the forums

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 09:57 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Hey Hey Hockeytown right now….

Steve Yzerman is a terrible GM because he is sticking with a coach who is terrible

I don’t know what a good or bad coach is because Steve Yzerman is a Great GM

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/14/21 at 09:58 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I have an inkling that Steve Yzerman knows a bit about a hockey organization and what an effective coach looks like, but if Blashill is re-signed I hope for the players’ sake and for ours that they get somebody in there who can teach an effective and punishing power play.  Clearly most of their players are not high end picks but they’re good enough to better leverage a man advantage.  They’re not incompetent… I don’t think.

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 10:31 AM ET

get somebody in there who can teach an effective and punishing power play

Yes, but also a real PP quarterback will help and a real offensive minded center. And unfortunately we have neither.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 10:34 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I was guessing, purely guessing, that if Blashill was going to re-up that he’d insist on a two-year deal.  So even if he gets canned in the meantime it would provide stability and continued income for his family while he gets some other offers.  If the franchise likes Blashill, and it seems they do, they may just move him into scouting or player development instead of outright firing him.  He’s already got some eight or nine years in the franchise.

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 10:36 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 10:34 AM ET

Yeah, true, but I think they should be doing better than they typically have been.  Good players should be able to take advantage of outnumbering the other team better.

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 10:38 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

hahaha

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/14/21 at 10:40 AM ET

torless's avatar

Since 2000, there have been 72 NHL coaches with at least 82 games on their record. He ranks below Wayne Gretzky 2.7% and above Ralph Kruegar by 0.1%. Blash ranks 59 out of 72 in points % and 10th in loss % (OTL included). Even if given one of the least talented teams in the league it would be hard to argue that he anything more than adequate… so why keep him? He already ranks 80th in games coached over 380 coaches all time, so it isn’t like we haven’t seen enough of him. In the all time points percentage list he is 189/262 where games coached > 82.

Posted by torless on 05/14/21 at 10:42 AM ET

Hes only one year removed from howie, abby, Ericsson, daley.  Im good with this based on how the guys looked missing a top line

Posted by ThatGuy on 05/14/21 at 10:55 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by ThatGuy on 05/14/21 at 10:55 AM ET

Yeah that’s true.

I wonder where Blash is on the list of ‘NHL coaches currently with the same team’.  Probably pretty high.  Not many stay with the same team for six years, even when they’ve had spurts of success and playoffs.

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 11:01 AM ET

I’m good too. I don’t think he’s bad.  I have no idea if he’s great.  I do think we need more talent if we want a btter PP and a better team.  Not sure what coach would make this team that much better.  Look at the crapshoot of defense we’ve had the last years?  Honestly, we had better defense this year and what, we added a bunch of journeymen and bottom pairing guys on low deals?  LIke that is how bad our defense was that adding Stretcher and Merril and a generally viewed as done Staal and it improved!!!!  Those are guys that contenders add for depth on a playoff run and we added them as core pieces!

Maybe people don’t like how Blash talks, or his line blenders (hey surprise, many other teams do that), but honestly, he’s mostly trying to work with what little he has.  If people really think some other strategy would make this team better?  I’m all ears, maybe you’re right, but when our top player had what, 26 points?  Not sure how much of that is the coaching.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 05/14/21 at 11:05 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

PK let the cat out of the bag, so let’s make it official and watch the fanbase implosion begin.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/14/21 at 11:16 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/14/21 at 11:16 AM ET

I wonder what happened to the guys tired of Holland who said “The first think Yzerman is going to do is fire Blash!”

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 11:19 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 11:19 AM ET

Remember those steak dinners AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Larkin were having complaining about Blashill?

Maybe Yzerman just doesn’t listen to his players. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/14/21 at 11:23 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Three Thoughts (apologies to Mr. Friedman) on this information:

1. It’s a Process.

2. Hey, at least we’re not Buffalo !

3. When can I get my Shane Wright Wings Jersey ?

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/14/21 at 11:27 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Whew, USA is saved.  And Blash is not coaching.

Former Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader was named to the U.S. roster for the World Championship, which begins May 22 in Riga, Latvia.

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 11:57 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

3. When can I get my Shane Wright Wings Jersey ?

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/14/21 at 11:27 AM ET

Dont forget Connor Bedard, balls pending!

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/14/21 at 12:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Everyone loves Yzerman and the Yzerplan until he retains Blashill.

Then suddenly the faith is gone and the complaining starts.

Which is it, folks?

Posted by Primis on 05/14/21 at 12:02 PM ET

watch the fanbase implosion begin.

So far has been very calm and civil, although I am worried about D_Ca.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 12:09 PM ET

Glad to hear Blash is back. The team played hard for him this year, we just need more skill, whether its developed or purchased.

Posted by pnwwing on 05/14/21 at 12:10 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

This should not be shocking to anyone, especially since this has drag out so long. And Blashill most likely has been part of player exit interviews. Yzerman has not asked permission as far as we know to speak to active coaches.

I still feel that one of the other coaches if not both will be replaced.

Like it or not it is what it is.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 05/14/21 at 12:10 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

watch the fanbase implosion begin.

So far has been very calm and civil, although I am worried about D_Ca.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 12:09 PM ET

I think many understand that to blast Blashill at this point is the equivalent of saying Yzerman sucks. No worries though, as soon as camp starts, the fanbase will turn that dial back to their regularly scheduled programing.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/14/21 at 12:11 PM ET

I agree Primis.  THe narrative will be he’s saving space because we aren’t going to be winning still, from the fans that don’t like him anyhow.

I trust Yzerman knows what goes on behind the scenes and if he stays, it means he’s likely doing the right things that Yzerman wants.  I mean to be honest.. if you’re Blash.. do you WANT to coach here?

In a league that recycles coaches like nobody’s business, he could have waited to see about other opportunities as well, even as an assistant on a contender might be better than this continual dumpster fire… so I give him credit there if he re-signs.  He gets dumped on, but this continual losing isn’t helping his resume either.

So I assume if he is in fact staying, its cause Yzerman has some trust in him still and so do the players and he thinks his message is resonating.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 05/14/21 at 12:15 PM ET

Paul, if Blashill is indeed remains a coach, you have pretty good sources because there is no news anywhere.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 12:20 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I mean to be honest.. if you’re Blash.. do you WANT to coach here?
Posted by DieByTheWing on 05/14/21 at 12:15 PM ET

I’m sorry but huh? Yes, yes he does.

So he coaches here while we shed talent and field an AHL roster, has a terrible record, but then leaves just as they’re starting to roster actual talent?

Not to mention, Head coaches make around $2-3mln a year, assistants about 1/2 a mil, why would he

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/14/21 at 12:22 PM ET

Not getting a top 3 pick is going to be a kick in the you know where this year though.  We need top top talent…. You look at guys like Matthews, McDavid, like him or not, Eichel, Draitsaitl, Makar, the list goes on.  Maybe Raymond is up there…maybe?  Maybe Seider is…maybe.  Maybe Zadina develops into a legit top line winger…. otherwise we are still a team devoid of a serious first line talent, a serious top D and really no goalie either. (though those are legit fine to get in free agency or trade).

Until a second or third round pick turns into Pasternak or Kucherov or our top picks are truly top 10 wrothy…. I don’t care who the coach is to be honest.

Matthews has more goals…GOALS.. then our top 2 guys have points almost!

You look at the leafs, Colorado, Vegas… even with our prospects, does anyone think we are close to even projecting to that yet?

I’ve been saying for years… without top top picks…we have to look to the Bostons, the St.Louis’s…. as our quickest path to contention.  Where it’s more about the team than top talent.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 05/14/21 at 12:24 PM ET

In a league that recycles coaches like nobody’s business

And I don’t think anything will stop SY from firing Blash at any point of a new 2 year deal. I still think Blashill saved his job in the last 3 months of the season. Not many watched, but the team looked completely different from anything we saw in the last 2-3 years and with this roster we were a 500 team for like 3 months in a row. Structure was there, desire was there, PK was good. Let’s see if we can remain those good improvements and add some offense and better PP (both should improve with a healthy roster).

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 12:25 PM ET

Murray.  There is really no reason to believe he couldn’t be a contender for one of the open positions, not to mention other open positions after the playoffs.  That is what I’m referring to.  And it’s not just about the money, coaches, like in any other profession, want to grow, get better, win.
I suppose if you feel they are turning the corner, (wings that is) then sure, but I think we are a few seasons from that still….
Also, didn’t think Blash was likely making that much yet. Curious what it is, I suspected far from that, maybe I’m wrong.
Resigning before even exploring those opportunities means he’s enjoying it here.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 05/14/21 at 12:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by RWBill on 05/14/21 at 11:19 AM ET

Or the ones who demanded Babs get kicked out of town to make way for Friendly Babs - AKA Blashill.

So far has been very calm and civil, although I am worried about D_Ca.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 12:09 PM ET

He got suspiciously quiet once the Wings started actually competing and Greiss started to play well.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/14/21 at 12:28 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Correct, and yes something needs to be done about the PP. Way too predictable. tongue rolleye

Posted by bigfrog on 05/14/21 at 12:32 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Yzerman should always be eligible for critique, if you have any sense of self respect as a fan. That doesn’t mean he gets fired for one bad move, it means you have some conviction. And all of us here are NOT casual fans, so I will take the opinions here over some joe blow in the office 24/7.

Yzerman came here as the saviour, and in some corners, he was thought that he could do no wrong. So if you’ve stuck to that, then congrats, at least you are consistent. If you’re in this camp, you can’t cry about bringing Blashill back. Full stop.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/14/21 at 12:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by VPalmer

Earlier today I received notice Blashill was returning and posed it in a previous post, then a few minutes later received the two-year contract, decided to put up a post about it.

The source is good as gold, and as Bob McKenzie says, we shall see.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/14/21 at 12:37 PM ET

I’m always skeptical of the end of season run… granted this year was long so maybe you are right VPalmer.  But we’ve seen runs at the end of season (Mantha is a SHINING example of this)... in quote “garbage” time, where teams are icing lesser rosters, you’re playing against other teams backup goalies all the time, etc…. Hopefully since this was longer, it’ll be good, and I agree, it’s more about the compete level and structure than say actual wins/losses/etc.

We’ll see.  This isn’t for sure, he may still be gone.  It would be nice to see one of our prospects EXCEED potential, we seem to always have prospects that just live up to, if even that, their potential.  I suppose Bertuzzi has exceeded to some degree.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 05/14/21 at 12:37 PM ET

Paul just knows this is a hot button topic and spurred the flames a bit *wink* *wink*.

Kidding Paul, truly appreciate what you do here and know you wouldn’t do such a thing.  It makes for good conversation regardless if your source ends up being correct.

I was really hoping for a top 3 finish this year though (in draft position)... that to me, has been the biggest dissapointment.  We are not a better team (at least on paper talent) than quite a few of the teams below us

Posted by DieByTheWing on 05/14/21 at 12:42 PM ET

I’m always skeptical of the end of season run… granted this year was long

Previous end of the seasons runs lasted 5-6 games. Now we are talking like 30 games so as well as you I am hopeful.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/14/21 at 12:44 PM ET