Abel to Yzerman

Will You Pay $20 Per Month For Bally Sports?

from Sean Shapiro of The Athletic,

For fans — and teams for that matter — that have struggled with the fallout of Bally Sports’ regional networks and their carriage issues, some good news came this week.

The downside? It’s going to come at an additional cost for the consumer.

The Bally Sports RSNs, which are owned and operated by the Diamond Sports Group and a subsidiary of the Sinclair Broadcast Group, own the regional broadcast rights for a dozen American NHL teams, including the Detroit Red Wings and Florida Panthers, who recently re-upped with Sinclair this season.

Because of carriage disputes, it’s not easy to find these channels if you don’t have DirecTV or Spectrum. Streaming services like YouTube TV and Sling used to carry the Bally RSNs, but have since dropped them, and Dish Network hasn’t carried the RSNs since 2019. When it comes to streaming games on a Bally RSN, the only option at this point is DirecTV Stream.

Out of both design and necessity, Diamond Sports Group has been angling to create its own direct-to-consumer solution, which it announced will be called Bally Sports+ on its quarterly call. The service is expected to have a soft launch this quarter and will come with an annual fee of $189.00 or $19.99 per month.

continued (paid)

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MurrayChadwick's avatar

This would make cutting the cable cord a done deal for me. The only reason I maintain my cable service is so I can watch sports, and not only watch them, but record them so I can start them a hour into the game and cut my watch time down in 1/2.

The big problem I have with this though is that the Bally’s ap is terrible.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 05/06/22 at 01:04 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Magic 8 Ball says “Not f@*% likely”.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/06/22 at 01:06 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Lol no. I am fortunate in that I can watch the wings via ESPN (I think because I’m out of market… Not sure though) but I would just find an illegal stream before paying$20/month.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/06/22 at 01:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

How many LOLs can fit in one comment box?

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/06/22 at 01:56 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 05/06/22 at 01:14 PM ET

I’m happy with ESPN. I’m also out of market. The only team that is blacked out here are the Hurricanes.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/06/22 at 01:57 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

So, does this mean that the Wings won’t be on a carrier like Comcast next year?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/06/22 at 03:02 PM ET

Paul's avatar

OTC, whenever the contract expires between the two, then there is a chance they won’t be.  Until then, all is good.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/22 at 03:05 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Thanks, Paul. But if it comes to the point of having to get a laptop and watch games streamed over the internet, I’m done with watching the Wings. It’ll leave a huge empty spot in my life, but I’m too damn old to be playing those kinds of games with a-holes like Bally Sports.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/06/22 at 03:22 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Ads on the glass, ads on the ice, ads on the boards, ads on the helmets, ads in between whistles, ads on the uniforms next year, and you have to pay four or five different places (with archaic blackout restrictions) to see games. Screw that. I use grey market streaming, and get every game, and often the Canadian feed.

So, um, no.

Posted by Steeb on 05/06/22 at 03:32 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

19.99?

Hmmmmm….. might cut into me living my BET life!

The again maybe I could PARLAY that money into a retirement fund?

Unless i can figure out where Momma hides the biscuits, this is a non starter..

I will always have Letterkenny…

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sing along The YzerMan Can!...... on 05/06/22 at 03:32 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Nope

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/06/22 at 03:39 PM ET

I’ll just continue to sail the high seas, thank you. There’s too many subscription services already.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 05/06/22 at 03:55 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Not with all the information you are giving them to sell to their gambling partners….

if someone is going to sell my info they better provide the service for free: which means NHL and add the number of Mario Lemieux for me

Posted by d ca on 05/06/22 at 04:01 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I will always have Letterkenny…

Dont forget Shorsey!!

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/06/22 at 04:31 PM ET

</img>

Posted by EthrDemon on 05/06/22 at 06:23 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Another complaint to add is I just looked and there are no games on broadcast tv this weekend. The playoffs were always on in past years. ABC is out of their minds. Thanks Bettman.

There is a huge disconnect between corporate America and the people. Most of us are already being leeched for money every second and the cash cow is dead.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/06/22 at 07:37 PM ET

I’m also OOM, so I get the Wings via ESPN+ as part of the Hulu/Disney bundle. This gives me the ESPN+ nationally broadcast games, but not ESPN or TNT. So it isn’t perfect. Still, I am blacked out of watching the local Canes, which is stupid if you ask me. I get that they are trying to keep people on the cable subscriptions, but if I’m already a paying hockey consumer, and I haven’t had a cable package for eleven years, wouldn’t you want to sell me a package to get my local pro hockey team also?

Something tells me as more and more go to streaming only, they will figure out there is a market for OOM subscribers who also have an interest in buying the local team package. Until then…

Posted by nctheo on 05/07/22 at 09:20 AM ET

LOL, NOPE.

I’ve had Dish Network for years.  As the article mentioned, they dropped FOX/Bally’s back in 2019.
I’ve had to stream every Wings game since then.  For three years, I’ve been streaming games now.
I just use the free sportsurge streams.  I stream it from my laptop to my TV.

Can’t see paying $20 per month for something that is already free.

NHL tv coverage is a joke.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 05/07/22 at 05:37 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

So, um, no.

Posted by Steeb on 05/06/22 at 03:32 PM ET

Love this and what poobah said about the Cash Cow.
Commercial Corporate Capitalism: how to make America ugly.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 05/08/22 at 08:55 PM ET

Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ is $14 a month and Bally wants to charge $20 a month for in market games only? They are out of their minds.

The NHL better get this stuff all resolved for both in-market and fans and out of market fans soon or they’ll lose more fans. People aren’t going back to cable/satellite and once they leave the sport, they won’t come back. I used to be an NFL fan but the cost to watch all the games for my favorite out of market team got to be too expensive. Now I just watch football a lot less.

I agree that with all the advertising and gambling tie-ins, the cost shouldn’t be going up for consumers but the NHL/NHLPA seem to forget that without the fans, they have no sport. Maybe some of that extra money should have been used to make sure the fans are still around.

Posted by evileye on 05/09/22 at 09:58 AM ET