Abel to Yzerman

Up To the Quad And To the Gymnasium

"We're...we're going streaking."

-Frank the Tank

Well, Frank. We'll see. We will just see about that.  Miles and miles to go before we get to that point.  For now?

"Where does discontent start? You are warm enough, but you shiver. You are fed, yet hunger gnaws you."

Oh, yes I did. That just happened.

I quoted Frank the Tank and Steinbeck in one blog lead. Shit. Just. Got. Real.

Streaking? Perhaps. Discontent? Most definitely.

Holy sheep shit. We are one angry lot these days. Every week it's a different back hand to our whore mouths. Datsyuk gone. Helm for millions and millions.  Stamkos guaranteed in the fashion of Weber and Parise...back to Tampa. Ott as a last resort. Vanek before him, as an experiment.  Promised a defenseman and a whole lot of jack squat.  Oh but there's one! Trouba wants to come to Detroit but Tick Tock Kenny doesn't have the assets.

It gnaws at us. You're right, Jack. It gnaws.

But it's early October and all is new. Despite the naysayers, games must be played.  And so they shall.

And along with those games the 19 come marauding. Sputtering. Arguing. Obscenities and juvenalities.

There are no more Denvers in our world. No more Blues. The Leafs aren't ours to call rivals (again) yet.  If we have one these days it's the team we play tonight. Playoffs should do that, if playoffs are evenly fought, or even fought at all. Last year was no fight. Our rightful father's team wasted no time.

Dark clouds of disgust lay on the horizon. But those clouds are scores and scores of games away.  Optimism is authorized.

And so it begins. The season of our likely discontent. But funny thing about those games and how they require playing.

Start drinking. It's gonna be a long, hard, bumpy, hiccuping, high-scoring road.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Just hook me up to an IV of xanax and High Life this year. It’s gonna be a long one.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 10/13/16 at 06:05 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Good thing I bought that bottle of Southern Comfort last night.

82 + 16 to 12.

Posted by Primis on 10/13/16 at 06:20 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 10/13/16 at 06:21 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I quoted Frank the Tank and Steinbeck in one blog lead. Shit. Just. Got. Real.

Or surreal, depending on your perspective – or state of inebriation. (And, yes, I’m already deep enough into the sauce that I had to spell check “inebriation”).

So, before the sh!tshow of this season starts, let me just say two things to you Master Chief. One, I love the staccato writing style – like a 20mm pumping rounds into an Iranian speed boat.

And two, as an Army vet, let me wish you and the United States Fricking Navy a happy 241st birthday. May you and your brothers in arms forever sail the seas in defense of the greatest country in the world. And may you continue to do it like the badasses that we know you are.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/13/16 at 06:22 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Time to stock up on turpentine and windex.
Got a new beer for beer league tailgating. Called rockdale and can get em at wall mart for 9.96 a case. You can drink a shit ton of em and wake up with no hangover in the morning.  May not work here if you want amnesia.  wink

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 10/13/16 at 06:23 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

The seas are stormy, Chief.

The seas are stormy.

Posted by Hootinani on 10/13/16 at 06:29 PM ET

Temo's avatar

I got 98 problems . . . which is an IPA by Perrin Brewery out of Comstock Park.  Got the memo about drinkin’.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 10/13/16 at 06:47 PM ET

Thanks, you big Irish bastard.  Even before the first game of the last season at the Joe, you already got me going both optimistically and gruesomely pessimistic.  Who does that???

[sigh]

One game at a time.  Let’s see how Torch and Houda have fixed our Defense and special teams for the first ten games and then either praise them for finally figuring it out or lament loudly that it’s the same old shit-show that never ends.

Our.Two.Points.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 10/13/16 at 06:53 PM ET

Start drinking. It’s gonna be a long, hard, bumpy, hiccuping, high-scoring road.

Start drinking?  Start?  Given this off season did anyone stop?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/13/16 at 06:57 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Thanks, OTC.  Let’s hope the powers that be allow us to let loose the vicious dogs of war where needed.  I’ve got a feeling that choice is coming.  While I’m on shore duty. Watching from *#$%@&.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/13/16 at 06:58 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

That should have been aeffingfar.  You’ll figure it out.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/13/16 at 06:59 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Ahoy, mates!

82 to 26 to 16 to 12 ...

I really like our team.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/13/16 at 07:08 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Ahoy hoy, Bitches. It’s soooooo good to be here with the 19. Great to have you back, Master Chief.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/13/16 at 07:09 PM ET

Basically, a repost from a prior, now-dormant thread.

How are y’all redolent reprobates doing?

I skimmed through TMR this morning to catch up on what happened since the Red Wings were eliminated from the playoffs by the Yzerbolts last Spring.

Kenny couldn’t make a trade (Really? There’s a shocker!), signed an AARP-eligible goon as his big UFA splash, mismanaged the roster so bad the Wings lost a slew of future hall of famers to the waiver wire,  and should have been fired years ago.

Did I miss anything else in the off season?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from La La Land on 10/13/16 at 07:10 PM ET

I think this is the least optimistic I have been on opening night since the ‘81-‘82 season, the season before Mike Ilitch bought the team. Mr. I is in declining health and his son Chris will soon fully take over the reins from his parents (He’s lready CEO of Ilitch Holdings). But he seems more interested in his 52 development projects around the new arena, rather than the product on the ice.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from La La Land on 10/13/16 at 07:10 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

To quote a dear departed lyrical mad man, Lemmy…
“Let’s have a drink in case I sober up.”

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/13/16 at 07:15 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Sorry everyone, I just can’t share in the negativity like everyone here seems to.  That’s cool if that’s your thing and I do understand the reasoning behind the frustration, but Red Wings Hockey is back, damn it, and I’m gonna cheer my ass off all year.

Let’s Go Red Wings!

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/13/16 at 07:17 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

so, in an earlier post today, our southern hermisphere friend said this:

“We’ll go to the Joe.”

I know I will. January 18th, Wings v. Bruins, me and the lady.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/13/16 at 11:50 AM ET

anyone else think this may work for a meet-up, say an H2H ... what, 4?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/13/16 at 07:20 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Finally got the all elusive female bloodline this Summer. My first Granddaughter,  Daisy Skye,  came aboard on July 21st. 5 Sons, 4 Grandsons, and, 1 glorious Granddaughter.

And we thought we’d never be Grandparents. Never say never. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/13/16 at 07:21 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/13/16 at 07:17 PM ET

Good for you Brent.  I feel the same way.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 10/13/16 at 07:22 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

My first Granddaughter,  Daisy SkyePosted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/13/16 at 07:21 PM ET

Congratulations Kate!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 10/13/16 at 07:23 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just stopping in to say hello and goodbye.  Very long story short, fuching Microsoft and Windows 10 blew through 50 GB in one day on my computer using up my allotment for the month.  Until I can get this straightened out I’ll have to watch from the sidelines.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 10/13/16 at 07:25 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/13/16 at 07:17 PM ET

Good for you Brent.  I feel the same way.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 10/13/16 at 07:22 PM ET

Hey Quaker! Happy Hockey!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/13/16 at 07:27 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Let’s get the season started right!

LGRW!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 10/13/16 at 07:27 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Hello, Goodbye

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/13/16 at 07:28 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks Little Redhead. I’ve waited a long time for the girl.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/13/16 at 07:28 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ahoy bitches !
If the Wings don’t get 1 point or more in Florida this weekend you can imagine the doomsday wailings.  Never mind that division winning wings in previous years have gone through Florida without a point in mid season, and never mind that these teams are very likely 1-2 in the division, so beating them at home any time would be difficult.

nonetheless, I am confused and bewildered about the management of The Franchise when the forward with the most dynamic ability to create scoring chances is kept on the team so he can dress in street clothes.

Vomit.

Posted by RWBill on 10/13/16 at 07:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Until I can get this straightened out I’ll have to watch from the sidelines.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 10/13/16 at 07:25 PM ET

WTH???

Posted by RWBill on 10/13/16 at 07:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Breaking my own rules, thank you Kate and right back at ‘cha.  Talk to you all later.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 10/13/16 at 07:29 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

congrats!, kate

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/13/16 at 07:30 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan Y’all !

Finally !  hockey is back..yihaaaa     Lets go Red Wings…clap clap clap

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/13/16 at 07:32 PM ET

calquake's avatar

WTH???

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 10/13/16 at 07:29 PM ET

Once this gets straightened oot I’ll bore the hell out of you all by telling my tale of woe.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 10/13/16 at 07:32 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks Stoney.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/13/16 at 07:33 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Prediction: Ott, Larkin, Vanek with goals. And I love my kegerator.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/13/16 at 07:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Roger, cal.

Posted by RWBill on 10/13/16 at 07:41 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

FSD trying to sell Nielsen = Datsyuk the past 6 years because of “durability.”

lol.

Nielsen:
440 GP, 95 G, 178 A, 273 pts, 47.9 FO%

Datsyuk:
347 GP, 116 G, 210 A, 326 pts, 54.5 FO %

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/13/16 at 07:43 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Blashill is like Ausmus of the Tigers learning on the job so give him a few more season surely.

rolleyes

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 10/13/16 at 07:45 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

PP

... do it

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/13/16 at 07:48 PM ET

Bent's avatar