Abel to Yzerman

Trading For Seth Jones

Last night Elliotte Friedman mentioned Seth Jones does not plan on re-signing with Columbus when his contract expires at the end of next season.

Today, Aaron Portzline wrote about it.

Seth Jones (CapFriendly, modified NTC, 10 teams on his list he can't be traded to)) is 26 and is in the top pairing in Columbus.  He plays in all situations.

So what would it take to trade for Jones.  It is going to be expensive, he will be wanted around the league.

This is a situation where Yzerman could use the plethora of draft choices he has stockpiled.  Of course, it would take much more than that.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Oh no, here we go.  Whenever someone’s name pops up that will become available, it’s like he would be great for our team and the conversation takes off.  My take on any and all free agents are that they are selfish, greedy, proud, and hard done by.  Their character is a problem and if you follow those who become free agents you can see little things that give them away, and sometimes they have a secret baggage problem that their present team suspects but is not sure.
Taking a star player, like Steve Y for example, he had a sense of loyalty, to his friends, his playing buddies, the management, the team, it wasn’t about money for him, he played for less than he could get on the open market.  A free agent, is saying I want the best contract I can get, I don’t care about my friends, or my family friends, I’m moving away from this team, this city and this management.  I could care less about the fans who bought jersey with my name and number, trinkets, and other team memorabilia. It’s all about me, or I want to go where no one knows me, and my drug, drinking, sexual, problems or my nagging injuries that keep causing constant pain or my jekell and hyde personality.
For me, I don’t want Yzerman signing any free agents, trades are OK but I can’t think of one free agent that Kenny signed that was any good.  There maybe exceptions, like you know the player and had a ontract with him before.but for the most part stay away from free agents.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 05/30/21 at 02:23 PM ET

Paul's avatar

jhpcarrier97, I will take a bit of exception to that quote.  I certainly do bring up every name that pops up, I only bring up names who I think can help the Wings or names members may think the same.

Jones would solidify a defensive crew which is improving.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/30/21 at 02:27 PM ET

MikeOrmerod's avatar

If Jones wants out of Columbus, it’s because he wants to win. I doubt he’ll sign in Hockeytown, either. I’m sure if Y looks at it, he’ll only consider it if an extension is agreed on.

Posted by MikeOrmerod on 05/30/21 at 03:10 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

I don’t want to put a negative spin on this, but, realistically, why would the Wings not be among the ten teams Jones has excluded from consideration?  Even if you put the most positive spin on our rebuild, we’re still 3-4 years away from Cup consideration. By then, Jones would be 30 years old.  He’s going to be actively sought by teams in a position to win now and that are willing to pay a heavy freight to add him to their roster. He hasn’t won.  He wants to win. No way the Wings are in the discussion.

Posted by WingDingy on 05/30/21 at 03:23 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

I think Jones is an outstanding defenseman, but not as good as the pundits do.  His underlying numbers aren’t as good this year.  Playing on a bad team will do that to you.  Would I love to have him on the Wings?  Absolutely, but I think the cost to acquire him would be too high.  If he’s a UFA next summer and there’s no cost to acquire him, then I’d definitely be on board.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 05/30/21 at 03:25 PM ET

d ca's avatar

1) Brian Rafalski —non-sense conversation over.

2) Jones would be a great addition, BUT he’s another right-handed d-man. After years-and-years of not having any quality RHD in the organization: the Wings would then have 3 (Jones, Seider, and Hronek)—unless they were forced to trade one for Jones.

2b) Why use all these resources for a 1 year rental when Jones stated he wants to go to UFA which is his right.

Posted by d ca on 05/30/21 at 03:39 PM ET

Something must really be rotten in Columbus, one if their cornerstone players wanting to leave is becoming a regular thing there. Wouldn’t surprise me if Werenski asks out next.

If we know that he’ll sign an extension, its at least worth having a conversation with the Bluejackets about a trade, but Seider can’t be involved. I can live with Hronek being included if Columbus insists on it because we would still have two righty studs to anchor our top two defense pairs in Jones and Seider.  We wouldn’t be 3-4 years away with Jones playing 25-30 minutes a night, in my opinion, as long as we don’t have to overpay drastically in the trade to get him.  It’s all just a fantasy anyways, Jones has no reason to want to come to Detroit.  Werenski might be a different story. He’s a Michigan kid, he’s good friends with Larkin, it’s at least conceivable that he would want to come play in Detroit.

Posted by MikeO on 05/30/21 at 04:12 PM ET

MikeOrmerod's avatar
He’s a Michigan kid

He’s from Texas and Colorado. The latter of which is where he played his important minor hockey.

Posted by MikeOrmerod on 05/30/21 at 04:22 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

“Werenski might be a different story. He’s a Michigan kid, he’s good friends with Larkin, it’s at least conceivable that he would want to come play in Detroit. “

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 05/30/21 at 04:26 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 05/30/21 at 04:26 PM

So I have some potential information on this. I know someone who knows someone in the grosse pointe area that lives in the same neighborhood as the Werenski grandparents. Their Blue Jackets flag came down a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t taken down last year after the season, so not sure what made this year different.

Its probably nothing, but put it in the back of your head. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/30/21 at 06:47 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He’d be our number one dman overnight, but I also see no reason he’d want to come to Detroit. Nor do I see a reason for us to want him if he’ll be a UFA after next year.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/30/21 at 06:58 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Correct. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 05/30/21 at 07:00 PM ET

Paul's avatar

ilove… since I became an unofficial insider, I’ve had 2 people who don’t know each other tell me Kyle Connor wants to come home after his contract is done after the 2025-26 season.

He would be 29 and is making $7.2M through that season.

Never had any one give me news like this so far in advance.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/30/21 at 07:12 PM ET

I think this point of view is very one sided. It will be very important for the development of our forwards and other dmen to have a true top pair dman anchoring our team.
But I do agree that the price to acquire him would be prohibitive.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/30/21 at 07:57 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/30/21 at 07:12 PM ET

Guess we should keep an eye on his contract year; wings will be back in contention and the jets may not be. He will have a modified no trade clause by then

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/30/21 at 08:01 PM ET

Seth Jones make us better immediately and worse off in 3-10 years so no thank you.  No reason we should be shilling out big money, term and even resources for a guy who’s closer to 30 than he is any of our true (hopefully) core of Seider/Zadina/Raymond.

Posted by beantownredwings on 05/30/21 at 10:35 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Its probably nothing, but put it in the back of your head. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/30/21 at 06:47 PM ET

Homers
I haven’t seen Zack’s dad since Covid closed the gyms. Not sure what you are trying to paint but if the picture has Zach becoming a redwings than let’s see it! Lol . That would be a thing of beauty!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 05/30/21 at 10:53 PM ET

Jones just plain has a ton of leverage.

With Columbus and with where he ends up.
If he really is sincere about wanting to go to UFA
(and that’s not just an additional layer of negotiating leverage)
he of course can both invoke his 10 no trade list and refuse to sign an extension,
both limiting his return and forcing an acquiring team to really pay him, even if it’s a team he might have signed with in UFA anyway.

He’s down a bit the last season or so, but I think this is still a Norris caliber player
especially with better support. He’s been pretty healthy overall and plays an effortless two-way game. He’s big enough to lean on and eliminate opponents but he’s not a gratuitously physical player or easy target for that play. He can really log minutes and control the flow of a game. And he can be dominate on the point of a power play controlling the puck.

I’m sure this will be Columbus’s best chance to get a legit top-six center of Jones age or younger. So I’m not sure we have what they need anyway. And if he’s truly dreaming a choosing his destination, he could easily focus on both a contending team and the sweetest geographic location where he wants to settle.

I don’t think it’s so much that things are that rotten in Columbus as it is that that’s a market and a franchise that’s always going to be running uphill to compete for the best players. Jones is still right in his prime at one of the most sought after positions and he can go anywhere and get paid a ton doing so. What he’s both maybe a symptom of and an additional cause of is the spiraling instability and thus even higher degree of difficulty in convincing any one star player to be the guy who plants his flag and declares: I’m emotionally invested in this group of guys and this crest and city above all others. That makes the room for error in Columbus virtually zero. Every single variable they can control has to be perfect. You need extremely positive chemistry and a total band of brothers mentality that comes with being part of a contender that’s grown together and unmatched leadership from the owner to the president to the GM to the coach.

Now it’s snowballed and one star in or entering his prime after another is feeling the pressure of: are you going to be the guy who commits long-term and either has to pull everyone else to join you, or end up stuck as everyone else leaves. That’s sort of what ended up being implied about Dubois: whether else he was unhappy with, he feared being left behind in a small market that’s forever treading water, while every other star after him leaves.

Look, Columbus is a great city and plenty of people are loyal to it and love it.
But if you’re in your mid-twenties and can get paid a ton and work for the best companies and live anywhere while you’re that age - and you have one chance to make that decision that’s going to take you well into your thirties, it’s natural a lot of people are going to say; I want to experience NYC, or LA, or Toronto, or Montreal, or Denver, or Florida. It’s more like an older guy with a family is going to love Columbus - or someone with serious roots there to begin with.

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/31/21 at 01:11 AM ET

Someone posted that Larkin is one of his best friends and that his girlfriend lives in Detroit.  I have no idea if that is true.  If he wants to come to Detroit however, why would the Wings pay a ransom for him, if they can get him for (free?) a year from now, likely with a 7 year near max contract?  A seven year contract for a great skating defenseman who is 27 is not going to wilt quickly like a somewhat plodding forward would.

Posted by MABO on 05/31/21 at 09:49 AM ET

If the Wings traded for Jones how would you then interpret the Mantha trade?

To aquire Jones they would likely be sending the peices they got from Washington. It doesn’t really fit the rebuild timeline Yzerman is establishing. The Wings aren’t winning the cup within Jones’ prime years. If he’s destined for Detroit it would likely be as a 35 year old vet as a 4,5,6th defensemen.

Now if CBJ was just giving him away or wanted to do a one for one for Vrana, sure. But I think it would take alot more than that.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 05/31/21 at 10:50 AM ET