Abel to Yzerman

Signing Klingberg Would Have Meant Trading Hronek

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Had Yzerman signed Klingberg, it would have meant jettisoning Hronek, and Yzerman made it clear on July 14 that he wasn't interested in being put in such a situation: "What I wouldn't want to do is go and sign another free agent, a significant free agent, and put myself in a position where I have to trade somebody, because that's not a good time to do it."

Hronek is coming off a subpar season in which he struggled to adapt to losing his spot as the Wings' top defenseman to Seider. But Hronek is five years younger than Klingberg, and has a respectable 118 points in 245 games on a team that, since Hronek entered the NHL in 2018-19, has not had as much talent as the Stars.

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Filip Hronek passes the puck during the first period against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Little Caesars Arena, April 23, 2022.
Since being named GM in April 2019, Yzerman has been careful about the contracts he has given to free agents.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Short of some type of miracle comeback in his play due to better coaching and better pairing with another D, I hope Hronek gets traded sometime during the season. What we get in return will be a function of how he plays, and hopefully better than last few seasons. His positioning in the O zone when the other team is coming to our net in waves and his inability to clear the net front drove me nuts last year. For his sake, I hope better coaching will cure the faults in his game. I am not holding out much hope. I just don’t think he ‘gets it’.

Posted by exor54 on 08/01/22 at 08:00 AM ET

Certainly seems like Hronek’s one of many players whose long-term future will be decided depending on how they do with new coaching and a better supporting cast around them.

Posted by RyanVM on 08/01/22 at 08:58 AM ET

1 year deal for Klinberg would not mean Hronek had to be traded.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/01/22 at 09:39 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 08/01/22 at 09:39 AM ET

I am fairly confident that The Captain would have offered more then one year for him. Just my feeling.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 08/01/22 at 11:54 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 08/01/22 at 09:39 AM ET

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 08/01/22 at 11:55 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Also my bad on the double post. Seems I hit submit twice.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 08/01/22 at 11:56 AM ET

would have offered more then one year for him.

If he did, Klinberg would probably be here instead of settling on a 1 year offer from the Ducks. Just speculation on my part obviously.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/01/22 at 11:56 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 08/01/22 at 11:56 AM ET

Player might be betting on himself to perform this year, be traded, perform and turn that into a longer term deal vs. sitting around for 2 years on a shortie. Also stayed in the West, conf. and location wise.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 08/01/22 at 12:55 PM ET

Player might be betting on himself to perform this year

Obviously, we will never know though

Posted by VPalmer on 08/01/22 at 01:00 PM ET

Klingberg is also likely playing on the top pairing
in Anaheim. Not sure that’s how they’d draw things up
in Detroit. Up and coming team in Anaheim. Great weather if
one considers that important.

And yes a new agent and likely an attempt to
set himself up for something closer to the contract
he may have been expecting.

If he does great there maybe it’ll be the perfect spot
for him to mentor Drysdale. And Shattenkirk is older
and more a third paring type.

Columbus having to trade Bjorkstrand is a good example of
what SY is talking about re: timing and leverage.
All your peers know you have to trade a player and contract.
Columbus was over the cap, but it’s still not the ideal way to
get a return for Hronek (and is value like Klingberg’s is lower now
until proven otherwise).

If Anaheim doesn’t see him as a long term fit of course
he may go to a contender and have a chance to re-sign there.

With Edvinsson and Johansson coming, I’m not too worried
about offensively skilled left defenders.

But good move by Anaheim.

Posted by lefty.30 on 08/01/22 at 02:49 PM ET