Abel to Yzerman

Re-Sign Sam Gagner?

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

Gagner signed a one-year contract worth $850,000 last offseason as general manager Steve Yzerman gathered veteran complementary players to strengthen the Wings’ roster.

Yzerman has lengthy list of unrestricted free agents to deal with this summer, Gagner being one. But it wouldn’t be shocking to see the two sides reach some sort of agreement.

Gagner can help the Wings, and t a fair price. He doesn’t think the rebuild will last long.

“We’ll see what happens after the season but I really enjoy it here,” Gagner said. “I feel like my responsibility has grown over my time here. I really like my role and that we’re closer (to being competitive) than a lot of people would project.

“(There were) a lot of injuries this year. The division we’re in, we have an opportunity to turn things around quicker than people expect and I’d like to be part of it.”

much more

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I like all our UFAs, but we can’t resign all of them. I would resign Staal and Glen and will say good-buy to Helm, Gagner and Ryan although I like all 3 of them.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/04/21 at 06:36 PM ET

Gagne has had more decent hockey left in him than I realized.
His versatility and character have been useful.

If he comes back, it’s those two attributes combined with being
super-affordable and a right shot. Gagne has always been super-streaky
offensively. But so is Bobby Ryan at this point.

These all seem like good guys. We can’t bring them all back or even most of them.
We’ll see. Who else is out there who is affordable or a major upgrade via cap crunch and/or expansion?

Staal seems useful as a bigger D zone anchor and PK guy.
He might be a solid mentor and stay at home left-side partner for Seider, too.
Maybe, as Max Bultman suggested, the Wings and Merrill find a mutual fit again.

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/04/21 at 07:29 PM ET

Don’t forget as someone else pointed out, the Wings need to spend $27 million to get to the cap floor.  Just because they could sign any free agent they want doesn’t mean they should.  I like Yzerman’s judiciousness in his contract signings.  He makes people nod their heads saying, “That’s pretty reasonable.”

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/04/21 at 07:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I think first you need to decide who your four full time C’s are.

1. Larkin
2. Ras
3. Veleno
4. Glen

Fabbri and Namestnikov are signed through next year, both can or have played C. Those are backups.

So Nielsen, Fil, Helm, Gagner. Are left from current roster.

If Gagner is no help on specialty teams, then I keep Helm (reduced price, penalty killer) and ride out Nielsen’s contract.

I dont see Gagner on a PP unit, when healthy:
Larkin, bert, vrana, hronek, zadina
Rasmussen, fabbri, namestnikov, erne, cholowski

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/04/21 at 07:36 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Of course, I assume veleno and cholowski stick next year. That might be a stretch

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/04/21 at 07:38 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No truth to the rumor the Rangers signed Joey Kocur for the rematch tomorrow.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/04/21 at 08:23 PM ET

We need Righties.

Posted by ThatGuy on 05/04/21 at 08:34 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

No sir! Good bye thank you, don’t come again.

He’s a nice guy, the National broadcast calls him “Sammy”, and he is indeed versatile, but… outside of 1 game, 1 S/O and a few EN goals, its not like he was widely productive that we can’t afford to let him go.

And I assume Yzerman didn’t get a worthwhile call for Gagner this year at the deadline, so that’s not going to improve with age.

With the amount of cap space Yzerman has, and the teams that need to shed space, both before and after the Kraken draft, he needs to leave roster spots open to take a high cap hit trade in return for a prospect or maybe picks, just like he did with Staal.

Bub bye now, thanks for coming.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/04/21 at 09:56 PM ET

It’s really going to depend on what happens with the other free agent forwards and perhaps who Yzerman can bring in via trade or free agency.

They should wait on signing Gagne until late in the process. If someone else snags him, so be it.

Posted by evileye on 05/05/21 at 11:57 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

No truth to the rumor the Rangers signed Joey Kocur for the rematch tomorrow.

:D

Sounds like Sean Avery wants to be resigned…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 05/05/21 at 01:06 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So does Georges Laraque.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 05/05/21 at 01:16 PM ET

Stu Grimson’s available, too.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/06/21 at 03:05 PM ET