Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit Red Wings/Vancouver Canucks

All I can say after watching the first two Detroit games is this is a much improved team.  No flicking between game for me, the Wings are making me watch them.

Tonight's game, Wings win 3-1.  Detroit played like a po'd team, which was great to see.

Detroit goals and a great save by Thomas Greiss are below with team stats too.

Next game is Tuesay when Columbus visits.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Too much greatness to list it all. Smith ragdolling OEL.  Bert and Fabs.. bravo.  Detroit vs. Everybody.  Seider and Raymond are special players.  Maturity in there game is crazy.  All the boys played good and I am happy.

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/16/21 at 08:58 PM ET

I agree Paul. We might actually be a decent team here. I get the feeling we’re going to be in most games , but like the other night just struggle to close too many out. This is also without our best two forwards as well.

Posted by beantownredwings on 10/16/21 at 09:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Shot attempts in the 3rd, 36 to 8 in favor of Vancouver.

Veleno had 2 more goals tonight in a loss for GRG.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/16/21 at 09:01 PM ET

Great to be 1-0-1 after 2.

Terrible to be outshot and out-attempted like this through 2.  Not remotely sustainable.

Posted by captaineclectic on 10/16/21 at 09:06 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Veleno being great in the AHL is good news.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/16/21 at 09:06 PM ET

Greiss won the game for us, but it was a solid effort. Agree Raynond is a special player. I like the way Smith plays, much better than in the regular season. One thing I did not like for the second game in a row, we do not leave the zone in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/16/21 at 09:06 PM ET

Mostly outside though.  Blashills bend don’t break philosophy.  Worked imo, Greiss saw near everything and we collapsed great on scrambles.  We’ll get better.

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/16/21 at 09:06 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Seider gets the 2nd most minutes tonight and both PP and PK. Blash must be liking him so far. Hopefully his little frankfurter isn’t sore. Also wonder who he is typically matching up against as far as first line, second line, etc.

Ras stepped up, got first line minutes and PP and PK time.

I’d like to see zone starts for everyone, too. See if I can grab that info tomorrow

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/16/21 at 09:11 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

A great win, but out shot 2 to 1. Cannot keep playing that way and expect to win. gulp

Posted by bigfrog on 10/16/21 at 09:16 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Wings need Witt up here for a while. Get rid of Rowney and get his ass up here. These teams know the Wings do not have a true enforcer and they are taking runs at everyone. Seider gets speared, cross checks…..its ugly hockey nowadays.

Greiss should have all three stars of the game!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/16/21 at 09:34 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I would rather see Valeno getting Nametsnakov’s 15 minutes a game, but I get it…it’s a Process….

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/16/21 at 09:53 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Well, at least Greiss still remembers how the game’s played.  I’m not even sure the rest of the team bothered to dress in the 3rd.

Posted by Hootinani on 10/16/21 at 10:29 PM ET

BIGFOOT88's avatar

as Down River Dan mentioned above… GET VALENO UP HERE please ! .....We’ve been clamoring for him for two seasons now !

and man, I wish Blash would try to show a little anger once in a while and bust ass on the referees ! He just stands there and smiles, looking like a mild-mannered puss-boy !

I realize there is a fine line not to cross (e.g. Tortorella), but Blash Should be jumping down the referee’s throat at every opportunity to support his players….and I never see it !

BIGFOOT

Posted by BIGFOOT88 on 10/16/21 at 11:01 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It kind of hit me tonight that this team we’ve been watching since preseason began, isn’t a Blashill team. It’s an Yzerman/Tanguay team. They play sound defensive hockey - but they’re always looking for offensive opportunities.

They don’t seem to be hung up on “process” any more. They seem more caught up in actually playing the game that’s in front of them.

And wait until Veleno and Vrana replace Smith and Erne(?). There’s something really special being cooked up there in Detroit. Let’s just hope Blashill gets promoted upstairs as Yzerman’s assistant before he gets a chance to ruin it down at ice level.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/16/21 at 11:22 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by BIGFOOT88 on 10/17/21 at 12:01 AM ET

I made this comment in the live blog. Where daniels or mick said he was ‘really giving it to the linesman.’

Blashill red on the face. Good. I think all the talk in previous years about players not respecting him was a fking joke anyway, but that and the presser about Larkin last game show us a team thats behind him.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/16/21 at 09:29 PM ET

I cant find a video, so Ill back up the comment about tonight with these. As far as the Larkin comments, those are well documented.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/17/21 at 05:09 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

As far as the Larkin comments, those are well documented.

And by that I mean, Blashill’s comments about being “pissed off” for Larkin after Thursday, and getting players to protect themselves

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/17/21 at 05:23 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s an Yzerman/Tanguay team.

I was talking about this exact same thing with one of sons last night. I noticed the grit and passion on Tanguay’s face, his demeanor behind the bench, and other “tells” .

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/17/21 at 08:58 AM ET

Shot attempts with Namestnikov on the ice were 2 for Detroit, 19 for Vancouver.  That’s following heavy defensive use but that’s ugly as sin—if he can’t be effective in that defensive role, he shouldn’t be tasked with it.

DDK, Lindstrom, Suter, and Staal all had bad SA numbers too.  Lindstrom is a kid who we knew was still developing—we also know that DDK and Staal aren’t good.

We don’t have an obvious, in-system way to improve the blueline—but Veleno could potentially help tilt the ice for us more than the current third-liners.

Posted by captaineclectic on 10/17/21 at 09:26 AM ET

it’s only 2 games, but after the 4 goal outburst, and if the back holds up going forward, it’s an opportune time to move bert for a #1 Dman – then bring velano up.

thinking SY is gonna make a serious move to address the D.

thoughts?

Posted by rickytarr on 10/17/21 at 10:12 AM ET

With Bertuzzi unvaccinated, he’s hard to move right now.  Not judging his choice, just pointing out the trade issue!

Posted by Chris in DC on 10/17/21 at 12:33 PM ET

Even if Bert was vaccinated, you cannot get #1 dman for an above average winger.imo

Posted by VPalmer on 10/17/21 at 12:50 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Bert is the heart and soul of this team. We saw last year how this team was without him.  I think trading him at this point would be asinine.  I get that he is getting older and has back issues but I believe he is a better mentor to this team than Gagner just due to his work ethic. This guy plays balls out every game and has pretty damn amazing skills.

If the right trade comes around that will be an upgrade over Bert than yes do it. I don’t think the Wings are there yet.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/17/21 at 05:20 PM ET