Abel to Yzerman

Open Post- What’s On Your Mind?

Anything you want to get off your chest?

Predictions for the Wings starting tomorrow when their protected list is due?

How about any trades you would like to see or what does Detroit do with the #6 pick in the draft?

It's pouring here and expected to continue for the next 12 hours or so.

Anyone up to building an ark?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Not finished with basement from the last flood. I hope Conner Creek Station is well maintained this time around.
Its pouring here on the Eastside. And its killing my tomatoes!!!!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 10:56 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Me?  I get frustrated at times with the ongoing rebuild.

Wings need a #1 center, playmaker before goal scorer and a #1 dman.

Seider may well be that dman, but it is going to take a few years.  I am for keeping Staal so he can mentor Seider, it is real important Seider gets the best grooming available.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/16/21 at 11:06 AM ET

Paul's avatar

via Arthur Staple of The Athletic ($$$)

Of the teams that might be able to take on assets and contracts that would ease Lamoriello’s cap crunch, Detroit stands out. Steve Yzerman set the market a bit last offseason when he took a second-round pick and Marc Staal from the Rangers; Staal had one year left at a $5.7 million cap hit ($3.2 million actual salary).

The Islanders, of course, have at least three players taking up cap space. Two, Leo Komarov ($3 million cap hit, $2 million salary) and Thomas Hickey ($2.5 million cap hit and salary), have one year left. The other is Andrew Ladd, who has two seasons at a $5.5 million AAV but is only owed $5 million cash. Lamoriello has an extra 2022 second-round pick from the Devon Toews trade and, if he’s feeling desperate, his own 2022 first and second.

It wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Wings and Isles connect at some point over the coming days or weeks on a cap space deal. A few other teams will be calling Yzerman to be sure.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/16/21 at 11:15 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Wings need a #1 center, playmaker before goal scorer and a #1 dman.

And a #2 dman, and a #3 dman, and… LOL

But on that defenseman note, I would like to see the Wings take a stab at Suter or even Yandle on a short deal if Stevie can talk either into it after their buyouts.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/16/21 at 11:39 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I would take Mathew Barzal off the Islanders hands to help with cap relief.  grin

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 11:51 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

If Hughes doesn’t get taken with one of the first three picks, how about the Wings trading their #6 pick for NJ’s #4 pick and Komorov? Hell, take Ladd instead if that gets the deal done.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/16/21 at 12:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

At this point, living in Montana, between our massive drought and the f’ing smoke in the air…

I don’t care about any draft picks or F/As…I’ll just take y’all’s rain.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 07/16/21 at 12:02 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Damn it. Forget that. I can’t get the idea that Lamoriello isn’t in New Jersey any longer. But it would have been a great deal, right?  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/16/21 at 12:03 PM ET

I don’t want to see Steve take on any of these guys for a pick, even a 2nd rounder. They would add nothing to the Wings improvement at this stage. There will be much better options around the league from desperate GMs for him to pick from. He should call his buddy Julian Brisebois over at Tampa Bay for starters.

Posted by exor54 on 07/16/21 at 12:07 PM ET

trading their #6 pick for NJ’s #4 pick and Komorov?

How does it benefit NJ?
I will be OK with Eklund at 6 as he has a high ceiling.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/16/21 at 12:12 PM ET

A #1 centre would be great and someone beside Vrana who can consistently put the puck in the net. Having Suter partnered with Seider as a mentor would really help our D. And a #1 goalie wouldn’t hurt.

Almost 75mm of rain (3” in American) over here in Windsor. At least everything is very green.

Posted by CaptNemo on 07/16/21 at 12:15 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it’s on 07/16/21 at 12:02 PM

Please do a rain dance and move this rain back west.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 12:15 PM ET

Predictions for the Wings starting tomorrow when their protected list is due?
Prediction they will protect Names and Statcher along with Lindstrom and expose Cholowski and Smith.

I would not mind trading that #6 if SY does not think there is a player available there who has star potential. I would try to trade for next year picks as it’s supposed to be a much better draft as I am little tired of those 2 way players with second line being their ceiling.  And I would like as many Staal type of deals as possible, especially if we are also getting a good player back (like Johnson for example).

Posted by VPalmer on 07/16/21 at 12:20 PM ET

I like Suter idea on a 2 year deal, but I don’t see much reason for him to come here.
Any cup contender would be a better fit.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/16/21 at 12:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Please do a rain dance and move this rain back west.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 12:15 PM ET

I’m shakin’ it boss, I’m shakin’ it…

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 07/16/21 at 12:28 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Lol^^^^^^

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 12:32 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by CaptNemo on 07/16/21 at 12:15 PM ET

I like this. Even more than Staal

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 12:32 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I hope the rain doesn’t spoil your day or get in your basement. I had the same problem and except for an over flow on a window well back in June during the last week long rain event I escaped any major flood damage.

I did fall on my ass trying to take a picture of the almost overflowing retention pond across the street on the same day Paul fought with the pavement. There was a hole in the grass I didn’t see while moving backwards on a slope.

I just need the rain pattern to quit and the resulting mosquito hoards to die off.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/16/21 at 01:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

So RGEP we both had a bad day.

I am keeping an eye on the basement, luckily no water during this rainy time, always in fear of the pumps breaking down and water coming through the sewers.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/16/21 at 01:12 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I am being forced to hook up to the sewer system by the local idiots and fear the overflow situation as well. Contemplating a valve I could shut off to save my basement if need be. What I really need to do is sell this house.

Hockey:

I am hoping for some deals like d_ca posted he saw on the Athletic site featuring Ericsson from Vancouver and a swap of our 22nd for their 9th.

I think a few trades are still to come but some GMs are hoping their cap problems diminish with the problem contracts being taken in the expansion draft.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/16/21 at 01:25 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

My water situation is not bad but its not great either. Definitely didn’t have it this bad last year.

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/16/21 at 01:35 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Posted by CaptNemo on 07/16/21 at 12:15 PM ET

Suter said no 9 years ago when things were good, why would he come here now to a bottom 6 team?

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/16/21 at 01:46 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

A. Martinez might be a better option than Staal if he’s willing to leave the west coast. Michigan born. About to turn 34 so maybe a 2 year deal

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/16/21 at 02:00 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Rumor is he wants to stay close to home still (Wisconsin I think?), so there’s maybe a chance. Dunno how good of one if he’s really looking for a cup run, but it’s something. Seen a couple people float the idea of him returning to the Preds as well. But who really knows other than the man himself.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/16/21 at 02:32 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

After reading about the country club atmosphere that Suter and Parise had going in Minn I am not sure he wouldn’t be a disruptive influence. Maybe go for Yandle. There may be more shortly.

So glad Indiana Holland is gone.

There isn’t an old artifact he can’t find and bring back…

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/16/21 at 02:38 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I think Holland signs Bernier. Smith didn’t look that great in the playoffs.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/16/21 at 02:40 PM ET

Regarding a home for Suter:

Chicago is about as close as you can get to Wisky, but I don’t think the Squawks would take him at his age or salary demands. They fleeced Holland to dump Keith, and have their eyes on Seth Jones

Posted by exor54 on 07/16/21 at 02:46 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/16/21 at 04:45 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Nice looking lawn and garden you got there Paul.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/16/21 at 05:20 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Forget the basement. What about the tomatoes?????

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/16/21 at 05:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks RGEP, I’m looking forward to that view in about 3 weeks, sitting on the porch watching the world go by.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/16/21 at 05:35 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Ha, Hilarious poobah. I actually went to Harbor freight today and grabbed a small trash pump for just in case. So fat so good.
A couple of friends down in Monroe area basents flooded. Bummer.

The tomatoes may not make Homers after this newest deluge. Pray to the garden gods for their safety!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 06:11 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I think it rained over 2 inches here in Northville. I went to a sod farm today for a couple of sod strips, and they told me they will be closed Saturday as it’s too wet to cut sod. LOL  On the trade front. expect Steve to do the unexpected. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 07/16/21 at 07:32 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by bigfrog on 07/16/21 at 07:32 PM ET

I am so sod for you big frog. Sorry couldn’t resist. tongue wink

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/17/21 at 11:18 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

am so sod for you big frog. Sorry couldn’t resist.

LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 07/17/21 at 12:46 PM ET

Please do a rain dance and move this rain back west.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/16/21 at 12:15 PM ET

We’ll take the rains here in Nevada as well.  Lake Mead’s at its lowest levels since it’s construction.  And our State’s trying to absorb Cali ex-pats at 20,000 migrants a month at last count.

I’m worried about water in this State.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/18/21 at 01:31 AM ET