Abel to Yzerman

Lucas Raymond Settling In

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Lucas Raymond was nervous Sunday when he received a call to meet with Steve Yzerman on Monday.

“You never know what’s going to happen,” Raymond said. “I try to keep it positive, but also look at both sides. Like if it goes well, it goes well; if it doesn’t go well, then we’ll take it from there.”

It went well, as the Detroit Red Wings general manager informed the team’s No. 1 pick in 2020 (fourth overall) that he had earned a spot on the season-opening roster.

“He told me that I played good during the preseason, but it’s a lot of work still to do,” Raymond said. “Just because I made this opening their roster doesn’t mean I’ll be here the entire season. So, for me, it’s just to go out there and play good and prove myself and then take it from there.”

The first people he called were his parents and brother in Sweden.

“Of course, to play in the NHL has been a dream of mine since I started playing hockey at 2 years old,” Raymond said. “So, they really supported me and always helped me along the way. It’s really exciting for all of us.”

continue

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

Fans have been clamoring to see Raymond and Seider in the Wings’ lineup since they’ve been drafted.

Just like Wings fans were begging for Evgeny Svechnikov, Dennis Cholowski, Andreas Athanasiou and Riley Sheahan in years past, only to see the results not mesh with expectations.

“Over the last six to eight or 10 years, people have been real excited about (some prospects). Some of those guys have come and done a good job and some of those flattened out and don’t play in the NHL,” Blashill said. “I don’t know if any of them have been elite, elite guys. Larkin has been the guy proven to be the best player of that group of young guys coming up through the system.

“We’re always excited about potential and I get that. So am I. But potential has to become reality and both Seider and Raymond have attributes to be real good hockey players and real good winners, which matters.

“How good can they become? I don’t know the answer. And how quickly? I don’t know the answer. That’s for them to decide with their play on a night to night basis.”

more, Raymond talk…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/12/21 at 04:57 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The Wings are now the 7th youngest team with an average age of 26.86.  CBJ is 1st at 25.71.

The oldest is NYI at 29.65.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/12/21 at 05:00 PM ET

It’s almost inevitable that Raymond is going to hit
a wall or two, just because he’s got a fairly slight build
and has no experience playing a pro season remotely like an
82 game NHL season.

None that is a knock on him at all - on the contrary
it’s a credit to him to have the hockey mind and sense
and skill and elusiveness- and confidence to come in
and make an impact so young. It’s more about managing my
own expectations as a fan.

Though Seider is precious in smarts and physical development
and has always thrived playing against men, a full 82 game season
(which I think most of us expect he’ll spend entirely up with the Wings,
playing important minutes) is going to have its ups and downs.

It’s exciting, though. To actually rebuild you need picks to actually become
top players on what becomes a good team. And both are a little ahead of schedule.

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/12/21 at 05:06 PM ET

precocious - typos happen all the time,
especially to me, but that one is annoying

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/12/21 at 05:07 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

It will be interesting to watch the young players grow and hopefully improve during the season. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 10/12/21 at 08:57 PM ET

It’ll be nice to enjoy watching them this year

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/12/21 at 09:32 PM ET

Our first opponent lost 2:6 tonight to the Pens without Crosby and Malkin. Not even sure if it’s good or bad.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/12/21 at 11:18 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

They will be angry Thursday Night. shock

Posted by bigfrog on 10/12/21 at 11:31 PM ET

They will be angry Thursday Night.

That’s typically the way I look at it. I almost always prefer to play a team coming off a win than a loss, especially when it is a a good team.

Posted by evileye on 10/13/21 at 04:43 PM ET