Abel to Yzerman

Looks Like Dennis Cholowski Is Headed To Seattle

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

ilovehomers's avatar

Cant forget the 2nd round pick the Wings got in the Datsyuk trade, turned out to be Hronek.

Does that make up for losing Chickrun? Not at this stage.

But Holland’s drafting was so bad, who knows of he’d have picked any different at 16.

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/21/21 at 11:10 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

You kind of did by implying that he could be great and we don’t know it yet. Kind of a big stretch on my part and yours.

Wth, who said anything about winning the Norris trophy???!

TreKronor’s
Cholo is 23 - his potential is entirely unknown at this point because it could be a couple years until he starts to find his stride.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/21/21 at 07:04 PM ET

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/22/21 at 12:36 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I mean, I could’ve produced and entire diatribe on why I disagreed with letting Cholo go over Lindstrom, but as with any internet discussion, it’s really not worth the time or effort.

Might have been an interesting read. We have time….  I do understand though.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/22/21 at 03:02 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Give uo 2nd rounder for Leddy 1yr UFA = Frowns

Give up former 1st rounder, 23 with team control for Stecher 1yr UFA not nearly in the same league as Leddy = smiles or relief.

Don’t understand it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/21/21 at 07:19 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 07/21/21 at 07:04 PM ET

I agree with both of you.

I am still not sure why the Wings protected G Smith over a decent young DMEN. Really makes no sense.
Smith is a dime a dozen player in this league. Cholowski, even if he never becomes a top 4 Dmen still has more value in this league than a grinder/fighter. Cholo’s showed his worth on the power play. His defense could have been mentored by Staal or Leddy, but Blash and Yzerman did not think of that except for in Seider’s case. Who did cholo have? Dekeyser? Please. This was a Holland pick so he was expendable.

I also think Yzerman picking blashill as coach over under-achieving players is going to bite him in the ass. I do not know who mentored Yzerman down in Tampa, but he should call that person up and purchase him a ticket to Detroit.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/22/21 at 07:08 AM ET

why the Wings protected G Smith over a decent young DMEN

I had the same question until I was explained it’s either 7+3 or 4+4, so if we protected 4 dmen, we could have only protected 4 forwards instead of 7

Posted by VPalmer on 07/22/21 at 08:24 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/22/21 at 07:08 AM ET

Dime a dozen? How many players are around in this league, that can legitimately play on the 3rd line, legitimately play net front on a power play, and legitimately kick someone’s arse as/if needed?  Is all the above true for Smith? Who knows, he’s played less than a 1/2 a season in the NHL, he may very well flame out, he may reach his ceiling, but his potential is not a dime a dozen. Its been so long since we’ve been in the playoffs or had legit rivals I think we forget how important it is to have size and grit, especially someone willing to stand in the crease and stare down like a McDonough as an example.  More importantly as VP said, it wasn’t a forward for dman choice.

Interesting to see you are already questioning whether Yzerman knows what he is doing.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/22/21 at 09:05 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I actually didn’t even imply he could be great.  What I said goes both ways - it’s a big unknown for Detroit to expose him, just like it’s a bit unknown for Seattle to take him.

Sometimes it is possible to have a hockey discussion without taking sides.  I was sharing a perspective equally applicable to both teams with their respective rolls of the dice.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/22/21 at 09:23 AM ET

With all the defensemen Seattle picked, they aren’t all staying in Seattle. Cholo is going to have to fight to make the team. I fully expect Seattle to trade some of those defensemen for picks.

Posted by evileye on 07/22/21 at 09:38 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/22/21 at 09:05 AM ET [/strong

I agree the Wings need a guy like Smith for all the things you mentioned, but left unprotected I would be shocked if he was picked by Seattle. I like the kid, but my point being his skill set CAN be found in the AHL or around the NHL. Cholowski’s skill set is a little harder to find. He looked very good the last two seasons on the PP on a team that sucked on it and a team that is in desperate need of goals. Yes, he is a defense of liability. so was Green and Rafalski. And SO IS LEDDY! Whatever. Shit, I think Larkin has lead the team in turnovers the last two seasons.

So no, I have not forgotten that we need gritty forward who can fight. Usually they are my favorite types of players (Lil Bert), but we do need someone like Smith on the team, but to protect him is a head shaker in my opinion.

In regards to Stevie know what he is doing, I would say he has made some questionable moves thus far. For Leddy we give a 2nd rounder and keep salary.
Merrill and Nemeth he gets a 4th and a 5th rounder. And retained Salary on the Nemeth trade. I think he did well on the Fabbri and Staal trades. So far he looks like he got hosed on the Perlini trade. I think he did well with the Vrana trade but it still up in the air.

Free agent signings: MEH

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/22/21 at 12:08 PM ET

Damndog, it’s between Smith and Names and separately between Cholo and Lindstrom (or Leddy if you want), it’s not a choice between Smith and Cholowski. We could not protect 4 dmen. If we did, we would have lost somebody like Fabbri or Bert.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/22/21 at 12:13 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

From the format rule:
The 30 teams in the expansion draft can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie; or they can protect eight skaters and one goaltender

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/22/21 at 12:51 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

But I get what you are saying VP.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/22/21 at 12:52 PM ET

or they can protect eight skaters and one goaltender

Yes, so let’s say we protect Hronek, Leddy, Lindstrom and Cholowski plus Larkin, Vrana, Bert, Fabbri leaning Erne and Ras unprotected.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/22/21 at 01:10 PM ET