Abel to Yzerman

Is Frustration Starting To Set In?

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Friday marked the first full day off since coming out of the Christmas break Dec. 26. Since then, the Wings have gone nonstop, either playing, practicing or traveling. They're 1-4-2 in that time and have not won since beating the Sharks Jan. 4 at home.

"You have to dig in," Blashill said. "I still think we can get more from more people, so we have to dig in and play better hockey. There’s nobody that’s going to do it for you, you have to play great hockey yourself and as a hockey team.

"We have to make sure that our details are good and our energy is good so we can play our best hockey on a nightly basis. We have a big game on Saturday — we have to make sure that to a man we’re ready to ball out and play great hockey."

There was a stretch of egregious hockey that defied odds late in the third period against the Jets. The Wings gained a man advantage at 14:43, and a second one at 15:31, setting up 1:13 of a 5-on-3 power play. Then Alex Nedeljkovic was pulled, setting up a scenario where the Wings had six skaters and the Jets had three. Still, nothing but a goose egg.

"It gets frustrating," Larkin said. "We’re looking to find ways to solve some of these issues."

more ($$$)

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I’m frustrated. Its a good thing Helen put all the answers behind a pay wall because now I don’t have to worry about how they plan to solve it. Well back to drinking heavily.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/14/22 at 05:20 PM ET

Can somebody fix our PP? No matter who is the PP coach, no matter the players, we continue to be terrible. And we lose games because of the PP and yesterday was a perfect example.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/14/22 at 08:41 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

As damndog would point out, there is one constant - the head coach. And its true. But this is the most talent we’ve had since Dats/Z and the PP is only better by 2% - 3% and has looked bad save for a couple 5 on 3s the past few games. The roster has been quite consistent. So its one thing to not score while being dangerous, and its another to not score while looking out of sorts.

I think preseason was just that - preseason. Sometimes its read into way too much. Maybe the other teams have figured us out. In that case, its up to the coaches to make changes. They aren’t getting better players (save vrana).

Figger it oot!!

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/14/22 at 09:14 PM ET

Yes, at least gain momentum with the PP.
Lately it became like last 2 seasons when our PP deflates our team even more and gives momentum to the other team.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/14/22 at 09:19 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Tonight I spent about 10 minutes watching the coyotes game. It was such a sad, sad team. Passes were to each others ankles, dmen couldn’t keep the puck from crossing the blue line, shots all over the place.

I had forgotten this style of play but…It reminded me of the wings the previous few years.

The wings are making progress, it’s just going to be slow and there will be some tough stretches. And be grateful they aren’t the coyotes!

Posted by TreKronor on 01/15/22 at 01:09 AM ET

Is that accurate?  Didn’t they all go to the beach on their Westcoast trip after canceled Anaheim game?  I get real irritated when writers and coaches bring up schedule as an excuse.  Every single team has a tight schedule every year.  Every team has to travel.  Montreal had a west coast trip then a game the next day, and spanked us.  It’s NOT an excuse and I DONT care if you play a lot of games.  “Ron’s had to do a new roof every other day so it’s alright/understandable if most of them leak.”  Probably not.  It’s a job, not a beer league.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/15/22 at 08:47 AM ET

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/15/22 at 07:47 AM ET

I’ve seen a couple of people mention the “tight/compressed” schedule as an excuse for poor play and it’s bugged me. I understand the herky-jerky start and stop stuff can cause issues with getting in a groove but they had 12 days off in December. Since then they’ve played back to back games ONCE while also having a 3 day gap between the SJ and LA games.

Posted by MZ2215 on 01/15/22 at 04:00 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Homers,

I appreciate it you saying that but I don’t know squat! I agree talent has been an issue but production on the PP has not increased with the level of talent. I am not even sure how many PP coaches the Wings have gone through in the last six seasons. And let’s not forget Babcock went through quite a few too.

I really did not like the hiring of Tanguay since his experience of running the PP i think was one season without NHL experience. But I root for the guy to at least make the PP acceptable.

I think there is 38 or so games left. The next 15 games will tell us what the off season may bring.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/15/22 at 05:52 PM ET