Abel to Yzerman

Jakub Vrana (F)

Filip Hronek (D)

Nick Leddy (D)

Gustav Lindstrom (D)

Thomas Greiss (G)

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

No mention of Cholowski.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/21 at 10:32 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Pretty much what I think many figured after the Leddy trade.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/18/21 at 10:42 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

Is there the equivalent of a Nosek that could go?  Otherwise it’d appear to be between Namestnikov, Stetcher, and Choloski. I’m ok with any of those choices, but don’t love losing any of them.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 07/18/21 at 10:42 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

Or Glendenning, depending on what Seattle is tying to put together.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 07/18/21 at 10:43 AM ET

In a Detroit vacuum I think Seattle will take Stetcher after his performance at world’s and his proximity to home. But it all really depends on what the rest of the leauge has to offer, Seattle may not need a 5-7th D.

I’m excited the Wings chose to protect Smith, he would have been the Nosek of this draft imo.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/18/21 at 10:57 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Jdunc, I believe Cholowski is from the area too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/21 at 10:59 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Oh Man!!....Not Frans Nielsen!...

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/18/21 at 10:59 AM ET

Also, will there be a welcome presser for Leddy? Or is it too busy of week? Seems odd to hot have some sort of comment on the trade. Is Leddy excited to be a Wing? Maybe he’ll be lumped into a presser with free agent signings?

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/18/21 at 11:00 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Well, I expect Stecher to be gone.

Maybe Cholowski if Seattle is feeling lucky. Namestnikov if they want a known quantity and a flexible veteran. Outside shot at Hirose as the pick being a young playmaker, but that’s probably a bigger gamble than Cholowski.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/18/21 at 11:15 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Welp we now know the Leddy trade was a direct indictment of Dennis Cholowski.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/18/21 at 11:23 AM ET

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

If the Seattle Kraken, which begin play this fall, want a player who can help them right away, Stecher makes sense. He’s a relatively inexpensive ($1.7 million cap hit), right-shot defenseman who has appeared in 330 career NHL games. Last season, his first with the Wings, he logged 11 points and a minus-13 rating in 44 games.

Cholowski, 23, has not developed into the potential the Wings saw in him in 2016, when then-GM Ken Holland and director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright described Cholowski as a high-end offensive defenseman. He is an NHL-caliber skater and passer, but his lack of assertiveness has cost him multiple chances at establishing a foothold with the Wings. In 104 NHL games dating to the 2018-19 season, Cholowski has 10 goals and 27 points and a minus-47 rating. He has 35 points and a minus-19 rating in 69 career games with the American Hockey League’s Grand Rapids Griffins.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/21 at 11:48 AM ET

Paul's avatar

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

So, who will the Kraken choose off the Wings’ available list?

Chances are, it’ll come down to picking between Stecher, Cholowski and Namestnikov.

Stecher, 27, has one more year on his contract at $1.7 million, and is coming off an impressive performance as an alternate captain for Team Canada at the men’s world championships.

Stecher had three goals and eight assists in 47 games with the Wings, had a minus-13 rating, and played in many different situations. Stecher’s all-out style of play on the ice, and his fierce approach to the game, quickly made him a fan favorite among Wings fans.

Being from Vancouver, Stecher would be a quasi-hometown favorite, also, while providing Seattle with a viable, veteran third-pairing defenseman.

Cholowski, 23, a 2016 first-round draft pick, played in 16 games last season, with one goal and two assists.

Cholowski has split time between the Wings and the minor-league Grand Rapids Griffins the last three seasons. But he has been unable to land a regular spot in the lineup. His lack of defensive consistency has been issue, which made the Wings choice to protect Lindstrom not surprising.

DeKeyser, 31, has one year left on his contract, ($5 million cap hit). Coming off back surgery a year ago, Seattle isn’t expected to be interested in the veteran.

Namestnikov, 28, has a year left on his contract at $2 million, after — like Stecher — signing a two-year free agent contract last summer.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/21 at 12:06 PM ET

I’m mostly ok with the list, but I don’t understand protecting Smith or Lindstrom.

Smith reminds me of a Luke Witkowski type player. We could sign a player like that in the off season easily, so why protect him?

Lindstrom is fine. Serviceable. Seems like the kid is about at his peak, and again IMO easily replaceable.

I would’ve protected Namestnikov and Stecher. We’re still rebuilding and both players could potentially be flipped at the deadline.

All that being said, if I’m Seattle I’d give serious thought to taking Hirose.

Posted by RussianRocket10 on 07/18/21 at 12:25 PM ET

I can’t believe they protected Smith. What a waste.

Posted by exor54 on 07/18/21 at 12:31 PM ET

Now we know who SY prefers between Cholowki and Lindstrom

Posted by VPalmer on 07/18/21 at 12:43 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I don’t mind our protected list. In a perfect world, we would have been able to protect Stetcher as well, but I think this is okay.

Happy to see we protected Smith.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/18/21 at 01:04 PM ET

Smith is not a waste at all. He has enough skill to move up and down the lineup. From a Wings standpoint he’s more of an Abdelkader with better size and more aggresive. Still a few years from his prime. And you don’t have many players like him who already drafted. Yes you can always sign a Smith type player, but they are almost always grossly overpaid.

I’m glad they protected him, and he should get a morale boost out of it.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/18/21 at 01:15 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If I remember correctly Djoos and Brome have already signed to play in Europe. I am hoping they take Svetch or Namestikov. I think they take Stecher.

The last game I watched with Smith playing he looked a step behind in reacting to the play so I hope there is more untapped upside left with him.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/18/21 at 02:05 PM ET

All logic dictates they take Statcher, but maybe other teams exposed 6-7 better dmen.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/18/21 at 02:11 PM ET

Anybody remembers if we exposed somebody noteworthy for Vegas when they picked Nosek?

Posted by VPalmer on 07/18/21 at 02:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

SYF, I had to close your last comment with the list from the last expansion draft, some funky coding in it and it would not scroll up.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/21 at 03:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI

I’m not sure how many games you’ve watched with Smith in the lineup, but I saw something quite different watching the Griffins TV games this past spring. As PooBah suggests, he’s not a very good skater, certainly not good enough to keep up with who the Wings have on the 1st and 2nd lines.

In GR, he played a lot on their top line, sometimes on the 2nd line. He wasn’t good at digging pucks out for his linemates and his “finishing touch” was at about the Darren Helm level. And he’s not a very good fighter. McIllrath is who you want on the Wings if you want a “protector” for the young guys.

But at his age, all of that could change with some quality time in Detroit. I guess we’ll see.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/18/21 at 03:16 PM ET

Gotcha, Boss.  Hope this list works.  I usually copy-paste to Notepad, and from Notepad, select all, copy and then paste onto KK.  I didn’t last time so I went back to old reliable and here’s hoping it works.

Here are the players that were protected by the Red Wings for the 2017 Expansion Draft.

Justin Abdelkader
Andreas Athanasiou
Anthony Mantha
Frans Nielsen
Gustav Nyquist
Tomas Tatar
Henrik Zetterberg
Danny DeKeyser
Mike Green
Nick Jensen
Jimmy Howard

Now the one’s that were left unprotected

Petr Mrazek
Dylan McIlrath
Adam Almquist
Louis-Marc Aubry
Colin Campbell
Edward Pasquale

Source.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/18/21 at 03:46 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

List from the last expansion draft can be found here.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/18/21 at 03:47 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Well crap, there goes Glendening.

Fwiw re: Lindstrom v Cholo, I’ve seen Cholo cough up the puck or make a bone-headed move one too many times.  That minus is terrible.  He’s not an NHL d-man.  Lindstrom may have a low ceiling but he’s good in the corners, keeps his motor running and has a good work ethic.  2B or third pairing guy.

I just don’t see any way they don’t take the league’s best 4th line center.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/18/21 at 03:59 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Well, I expect Stecher to be gone.

Maybe Cholowski if Seattle is feeling lucky.

More than likely. Glendening is a UFA, so Seattle has first crack at signing him,but I don’t think they will. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 07/18/21 at 04:14 PM ET

Thanks SYF. Not sure who we expected Vegas to take from that list, but I remember a lot of discussions on Mrazek vs Howard.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/18/21 at 04:52 PM ET

If I recall correctly, according to the prognosticators, it was Riley Sheahan that was widely speculated to be taken.  It still baffles me to this day what they saw in Nosek that would make VGK select him.  He had good numbers in GR, but only played a total of something like 18 NHL games with the Wings.

Whatever they saw in Nosek, they took him and he has played well enough for VGK to consider him an important player for them now.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/18/21 at 04:58 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

I wonder if the exposure of Bernier says anything about Yzerman’s intention to draft Jesper Wallstedt at #6?

Posted by WingDingy on 07/18/21 at 06:24 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I think Nosek or either Mrazek were obvious choices for Las Vegas. I remember most people being unhappy about both those players being apart of the unprotected. I was pissed they exposed Nosek.

I don’t know even what to say about this list. I like Smith and enjoy his energy but I have not seen that much from him that Seattle would pick him over many others.

I think Yzerman is batting .700 so far with his roster shaping. So i will keep the faith. But I do feel the Leddy trade was Hollansque.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/18/21 at 06:32 PM ET

But I do feel the Leddy trade was Hollansque.

Only if Leddy was 37

Posted by VPalmer on 07/18/21 at 08:36 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Hmm, even though Seattle could pass Detroit because their pick wont be on the bench the first Kraken team.  I also say Stecher, the one player I would of protected.  A good young D-man with a lot of upside, can’t lose.  This will set us back, losing a potential top 4 d-man,thus we need to replace him.  So the Leddy deal may contribute to a potential lose.  And then the jive Islanders don’t even protect Panik!

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 07/18/21 at 09:29 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

I did not see Jeff Blashill on the protected list, so, ..... maybe?

Hope springs eternal…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sing along The YzerMan Can!...... on 07/18/21 at 09:41 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Unfortunately, JBlash is not on the unprotected list either.  Maybe he is on the Zamboni drivers list!

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 07/19/21 at 01:05 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/18/21 at 06:32 PM ET

You are 100% correct, the Griffins had just won a championship and while Bertuzzi was the star of that show, Nosek was probably the more important driver of the games I saw, he was on the ice in all situations, has the size, and was all but guaranteed to start the next season as our 3rd line center.

I recall that we didn’t have much of a choice because of the NMC some players had, and I certainly recall the hate and tears oh my were they a flowing because it was something that happened under Ken Holland’s watch, and how we should’ve given 1st rounders away to get them to take Ablekater or some such nonsense.  Every now and again, someone will still brings up the franchise changing loss of Nosek in the draft.

He’s been an OK guy for Vegas, he’s had health issues in the post season, but he’s noticeable in the lineup. Had he stayed here, he probably develops a bit more, because we had the room for him to get more minutes.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/19/21 at 09:26 AM ET

Yeah, let me weigh in to back up Murray and damndog—Nosek was a very predictable pick and basically people were crossing their fingers hoping Vegas would go for the “name” in Sheahan rather than the more valuable player (at least cap-wise) in Nosek.

Remember Sheahan had 2 goals and 11 assists in 80 games in 2016-17 after signing a “bridge” deal paying him over $2M per.  Nosek was younger, making $600k, and was plainly ready to button down a bottom-six role.

If you recall the quality drama back then, it was that Detroit “owed” Abdelkader protection because it would have been humiliating to expose him and have him passed over.  So we lost Nosek for Abdelkader’s pride, basically.  At least he repaid us by sucking on ice.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/19/21 at 07:44 PM ET