Abel to Yzerman

Any Interest In These Players?

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

When focusing on the Wings, there are definite needs to fill for general manager Steve Yzerman. The Wings need a center, could use another impact goal-scorer, and one, if not two, defensemen.

And another goaltender to share the load with Alex Nedeljkovic....

Andrew Copp

Age on July 13: 27

Position: Center/wing

2021-22 salary cap hit: $3.64 million

Analysis: The Ann Arbor native would be a great add for the Red Wings. But the way Copp played for the New York Rangers after being acquired at the trade deadline, and the way he contributed in the playoffs, it would be mildly surprising if the Rangers don't re-sign him.

John Klingberg

Age on July 13: 29

Position: Defense

2021-22 salary cap hit: $4.25 million

Analysis: Klingberg took a team-friendly contract last time, so he's likely to be looking for something much bigger this summer. Klingberg's offensive production has fallen over the last several years, but he's still a top-four defensemen on most teams' depth charts.

more ($$$) names

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The News is a subscriber-only site, Paul. And I’m not paying them a penny for news about the Wings.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/18/22 at 12:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I woiuld not either, OTC but I have to.

Normally they mark the article as paid, this one wasn’t and still isn’t but by signing out of their site, I see it is indeed paid.

Now marked as paid on A2Y.

I wish they would stop with this nonsense.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/22 at 01:00 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I pay $.83 a month to both papers. I guess it’s worth it to me even though I don’t like it. angry

Posted by bigfrog on 06/18/22 at 01:20 PM ET

Somehow I was able to read the whole article on my phone.
They list pretty much every single UFA worth mentioning with a short comment mostly “if he does not resign with his team, he will have plenty of options in the open market”.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/18/22 at 02:34 PM ET

Klingberg isn’t likely to resign with Dallas and that’s been the story with them for this whole season.

I imagine, he’ll go to whoever the highest bidder is, of which there will be many of.

Posted by retrospecd on 06/18/22 at 08:15 PM ET

ChillDistiller's avatar

Klingberg is a dumpster fire in his own zone. He does not outscire his mistakes. Hard pass.

Posted by ChillDistiller from Michigan on 06/18/22 at 09:40 PM ET