The Upper Canadien

Zdeno Chara

Gotta be ten games, no?

Let’s just hope Pacioretty is ok. He’s a kid, and he plays the game clean. Always tough to see that happen.

Filed in: | The Upper Canadien | Permalink

Comments

mmuskrat's avatar

no way.  to me, it was unfortunate, but not malicious.  Although, Zdeno must feel like a bastard right now.

Posted by mmuskrat on 03/09/11 at 12:33 AM ET

Simple answer?  NO.

Not even one game.  There was nothing suspension worthy about that.  Frankly, it wasn’t worth the ten minute game misconduct.  One can argue the two minute interference, but the rest is simply PQers looking through their bleu, blanc and rouge glasses….

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 03/09/11 at 12:34 AM ET

I see the other perspective in this, but to me, it appeared he rammed his head into the pole. To me, that’s pretty brutal.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 03/09/11 at 12:56 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sorry for Pacioretty, but I don’t think there’s malicious intent.

Like you said, I hope the kid’s ok.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/09/11 at 01:08 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

No suspension unless it can be proven that Chara intentionally threw him into that divider, because if that same play occurred anywhere else on the ice nothing would have happened.  Unfortunate play, but not malicious to me.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/09/11 at 01:18 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Hate to say it UC, but two at the most and maybe none.

Let’s see how the Montreal media reacts in the morning.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/09/11 at 01:25 AM ET

I have no problem with the call on the ice being what it is and that being it.  It was blatant interference and yes, if Chara had made the hit at a different part of the ice it wouldn’t have happened.  The hit was no where near legal.

And unfortunately, all the mainstream media will probably do is link this to 7 years ago….

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/09/11 at 01:50 AM ET

the location on the ice doesn’t excuse chara - in fact it may damn him further.  he is seen extending his arms to push pacioretty’s head into the stanchion.  add that to the fact that these two players have a history of bad blood and i think chara deserves a suspension - maybe 5 games.

Posted by brian m from alberta on 03/09/11 at 01:56 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

15+ is what I would throw at him. Chara blatantly and recklessly threw Pacioretty face-first into the stanchion. It looks that way to me, Chara’s arms don’t even come down until after Pacioretty slams into the stanchion. If it was accidental, Chara’s arms should either be down or in the process of going down before Pacioretty slams into the stanchion. Inexcusable, dangerous play.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 03/09/11 at 03:43 AM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

chara knew exactly what he was doing, and he added an extra push at the end for good measure.  Chara has been beefing it up with Pacioretty ever since Pacioretty shoved him after scoring a game winning goal.  There has been clear animosity between these two ever since, and it was a little bit of revenge on charas side, as he could have easily let up.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 03/09/11 at 07:02 AM ET

The lack of respect reminds me of Kyle McLaren hitting Richard Zednik a few years ago. Even if he didn’t intend to hurt him as badly as he did, Chara had to knew the pole was right there. Why do I say ten games? The NHL needs to start cracking down on this lack of respect or someone is going to die. That hit could have actually killed Pacioretty. When you mix a 7 foot man, a pole and a 21 year old’s head, you’re talking pretty serious consequences.

That said, maybe five is the right answer. Maybe two. I don’t know. I’m just glad I don’t have to make the decision!

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 03/09/11 at 08:58 AM ET

Alan's avatar

The more I watch the video, the more that becomes apparent. You can see Chara’s hand come up and hold or maneuver Pacioretty’s head into the column.

A ten game suspension sounds about right to me.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/09/11 at 09:21 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

I’d say you would assume Chara knew what he was doing. Not playing the puck, he just was going after someone. The benefit of the doubt goes does not go to non-intent.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 03/09/11 at 09:34 AM ET

Still waiting for Matt Cooke to be penalized for INTENTIONALLY ending Marc Savard’s career.  Talk to me when that happens.  Any call for more than 2 games is blatant Canadien entitlement and homerism.

Posted by Mike from MA on 03/09/11 at 10:53 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Mike from MA on 03/09/11 at 08:53 AM ET

Cooke should have been penalized in a similar manner that I hope Chara is penalized.

Also, I dislike the Canadiens. “Homerism” my arse.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/09/11 at 11:24 AM ET

awould's avatar

I think we should start referring to these types of nasty hits as follows:

“Chara really Cooked Pacioretty”

Then we can dispense with the ubiquitous comparisons to Matt Cooke’s lengthy list of transgressions.

Posted by awould on 03/09/11 at 01:03 PM ET

awould's avatar

fwiw, I don’t see Chara as the type of player to do that intentionally. it was interference and incredibly unlucky/bad timing. I hope that kid is ok. suspendable? maybe a game or two just for the injury but I don’t think it’s deserved.

Posted by awould on 03/09/11 at 01:06 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Also, I dislike the Canadiens. “Homerism” my arse.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/09/11 at 09:24 AM ET

Why?  The hit on Savard, at the time, was a legal one.  Now?  Yes.  Last year?  Nope.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/09/11 at 02:27 PM ET

So the guy ran into the divider it happens all the time. It gets so old to come on here and every day there is some “bad hit” that every one is talking about.Yeah it’s too bad the guy is hurt but it happens.It’s a contact sport and any one that has played any high level of hockey has been hit in that position before. This should be no suspension at all.

Posted by Neal from St.Louis on 03/09/11 at 02:49 PM ET

About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Questions or comments? theuppercanadien@kuklaskorner.com