The Upper Canadien

Well done, Blake Geoffrion

A quick note on Geoffrion. Too often in sports, excitement overtakes common sense. Athletes regularly come back and play after horrific injuries, risking their futures, and those of their families. As such, I wanted to take a second and say it is refreshing to see Blake Geoffrion step away from the Game.

Geoffrion suffered a very serious skull fracture last November, and playing again would have risked his long term health. It's always sad to see an athlete stopped in his prime, but as far as I'm concerned, Geoffrion made a responsible decision that deserves credit. Too often we see athletes continue to play when they are clearly risking their well being. I hope Geoffrion's retirement serves as an example to other athlete's in the future who put fun, and more often money, ahead of the many years to come.

I was excited to see Geoffrion again this fall, as his name exerts a certain nostalgia for many fans such as myself. But he made the right call. Well done.

Filed in: | The Upper Canadien | Permalink

Comments

I did not know that.  He did the right thing for himself now just as Fischer did.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/15/13 at 06:55 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Lets also wish Mr. Geoffrion luck moving onto the next and most important phase in his life:  siring a fourth generation NHL-bound Geoffrion.

Glad to see this retirement. I dreaded the other predictable outcome.  For some reason I always liked this guy, even as a Pred.  Hope he has a good life.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/15/13 at 07:19 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/15/13 at 07:19 PM ET

The kid would actually be fifth generation!

[Geoffrion] became the first fourth-generation player in the league’s history, after his father Dan, grandfather Bernie and great-grandfather Howie Morenz. All four generations have played for the Canadiens.

Posted by SK77 on 07/15/13 at 08:09 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by some kid on 07/15/13 at 08:09 PM ET

Morenz was Boom Boom’s father-in-law (and he must have died long before Bernie married his daughter), so not blood-related.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/16/13 at 12:43 AM ET

Wouldn’t he be blood related to Morenz, since Morenz’s daughter is his grandmother? He’s not four generations Geoffrion, but it doesn’t make him any less related to Morenz.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/16/13 at 10:45 AM ET

Former Habs forward Blake Geoffrion hired on as scout for CBJ.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/16/13 at 03:11 PM ET

About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Questions or comments? theuppercanadien@kuklaskorner.com