The Upper Canadien

Lecavalier buyout a possibility?

Here's an interesting thought for Habs fans, perhaps moreso if it was still 2009, but interesting nonetheless: the Lightning may be considering a buyout of Vincent Lecavalier. When you look at the contract terms, it makes some sense, as his salary will be an anchor on that club for years to come. Attention has centred on Daniel Briere as an option for the Habs, but could a Lecavalier homecoming be an option for the Canadiens? Would Lecavalier want to play under the pressure of Montreal? He'd certainly shore up centre, which has been a weak point for, oh, a couple of decades.

More here:

Filed in: | The Upper Canadien | Permalink

Comments

I’ve been saying this for the past several months. His current contract goes to the end of the decade.  More than likely, Lecavalier will be bought out in the next few weeks. If not then, it will be a year from now for sure…barring injury.

Posted by howiehockey on 06/18/13 at 12:40 PM ET

I’d be surprised if any of these long term contracts (aside from Bryzgalov) are bought out this year.

If you’re going to get a “free” buyout for guys like Hossa, Franzen or whomever, you might as get one more year out of them before cutting ties.

Posted by Garth on 06/18/13 at 12:59 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

The Heatley situation is the biggest counterpoint to that theory, Garth, but on the most part I agree;  Bryzgalov has to be gone.  The majority of forwards have value for another year.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/18/13 at 01:19 PM ET

The Heatley situation is the biggest counterpoint to that theory, Garth

How so?

Heatley’s on the last year of a contract, not in the midst of a longterm one.  The argument for buying him out is that he puts up Franzen-level goals on nearly twice the cap hit.  He was a 40+ goal scorer when he signed the deal and has not hit that goal once during this contract, and his numbers have dwindled year-to-year.

The only (or at least main) reason that Hossa/Franzen/etc are being talked about for buyouts is that with the new CBA teams will get royally f*cked capwise if (when) the player retires before his contract is up.

Posted by Garth on 06/18/13 at 02:57 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

They aren’t comparable players, just comparable in that they are buy-out candidates.  Heatley was considered a likely buyout but can’t be because he’s injured- which is the fear with any of these guys.  If you keep them for next year, what happens if they go down?  You’re on the hook for the rest of the decade.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/18/13 at 03:44 PM ET

Yeah, but they want to buy out Heatley because he’s a disappointment for his cap hit.  They’re not going to miss him if they buy him out.

With Hossa and Franzen it’s purely about what happens when the retire.  Neither Chicago nor Detroit want to get rid of their guys, and if they buy out Hossa and Franzen then they’re saying goodbye to players they would prefer to keep, so if they are thinking about buying them, they’re going to want to give Hossa and Franzen as little “free money” as possible.  If Hossa plays for Chicago for another year, that’s one less year worth of money that the teeam will be paying him to play against them for the rest of his career.  Same goes with Franzen.  Detroit doesn’t want to get rid of him but might think about it if they don’t think he’s going to play out his contract.

A Heatley buyout with be a situation similar to the Gomez and Redden ones (and most of the buyouts that are going to happen).  Hossa/Franzen buyouts have a completely different reasoning behind them.

Posted by Garth on 06/18/13 at 04:40 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I understand the difference in the two situations.  The parallel I am drawing with Heatley is solely that you can’t plan on using a buyout next year on an injury prone player because they may be hurt when that time comes.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/18/13 at 07:44 PM ET

About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Questions or comments? theuppercanadien@kuklaskorner.com