The Upper Canadien

The PK Subban show

Is there anything this guy can't do? PK Subban is playing the most domianting hockey of his career, and along with Carey Price is carrying the Montreal Canadiens. While the Habs are now up 2-1, and they've still got a lot of work to do, the Canadiens looked good Tuesday, outpacing a Boston Bruins team that at times seemed sedentary. Aside from Subban and Price, Tomas Vanek, Tomas Plekanec and Lars Eller had a heck of a game, while a flu ridden Rene Bouque still caused the Bruins fits as he flew all over the ice.

Both teams will be regrouping in practice today, in advance of tomorrow night's pivotal game four in Montreal. No doubt the Canadiens are looking to sieze the moment and go up 3-1, after letting a potential 2-0 lead slip away. Thus far, Montreal has outplayed Boston most of the series on the backs of their speed and skill. The Bruins have started to get angry - it started to show late third on Tuesday - but the Habs have stayed composed and let their play do the talking.

With regards to the lineup, don't expect any changes for Montreal Tuesday, but Michel Therrien looks brilliant after pulling Brandon Prust from the lineup and inserting Travis Moen. Prust is a warrior but clearly hurt, and needs some time to rest up. The swap of Douglas Muray in for Francis Bouillon also added some much needed size, and helped Montreal clear the front of the net as the game went on. Therrien is having a very good series.

Is there a dirtier player in the NHL than Brad Marchand? He's probably the guy you'd love on your team and despise when he is elsewhere, but he is without question the sleaziest player I have seen in a long time. Every time I think he's crossed the line, he creates a new line and crosses that one too.

Enjoy the day off. Big game on Thursday.

Filed in: | The Upper Canadien | Permalink

Comments

Subban is playing some amazing hockey right now.
And yes, Marchand is a giant dirt bag.  How is it that he gets away with half the stuff he does each game is beyond me.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/07/14 at 08:25 AM ET

My favourite moment of last night may have been the warning Emelin got from the referee after throwing a clean hit with a few minutes left. Just seconds before, Marchand had crosschecked someone, and someone before that, and speared before that, and punched Price before that…the guy is like a whirling dervish of annoyance.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 05/07/14 at 08:30 AM ET

That crap is right in front of the ref too… I have no idea how he gets away with it.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/07/14 at 08:44 AM ET

Go Montreal! (LGRW)...

Posted by Pasha1277 on 05/07/14 at 09:13 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

I really want Iggy to win a cup but guys like Marchand and Lucic make it really difficult to cheer for Boston with any enthusiasm.

I also wish the refs would call the playoffs like the regular season.

On the topic of PK, I think he is playing extremely well. He is a dynamic and electrifying player to watch.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/07/14 at 09:22 AM ET

blammo's avatar

I’m with you Iggy_Rule. I have a ton of respect for Iggy, how he plays the game, how he appears to treat people, and would enjoy seeing him lift the chalice.

And growing up as a Bruins fan I’ve always hated the Habs. But this Bruins team is hard to like and the Canadiens will steal your heart.

PK is a revelation and his enthusiasm is so infectious he’s stealing the moment and running with it. He’s hard not to cheer for. And the Bruins are hard not to cheer against.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 05/07/14 at 11:53 AM ET

About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Questions or comments? theuppercanadien@kuklaskorner.com