The Upper Canadien

Shane Doan visiting Montreal

Well now this is getting interesting, isn’t it? NHL veteran power forward Shane Doan will visit the city of Montreal next week, according to various media including TSN. Montreal is said to be one of the teams Doan is seriously considering playing for, and it’s worth mentioning that Canadiens goaltender Carey Price is Doan’s cousin. Now, is Doan really thinking about a Montreal tour of duty, or is he simply driving the price higher? Only time will tell.

Report: Free agent Doan to visit with Canadiens next week

Consider this, however: the Habs have $6 million in cap space, and Shane Doan would likely cost between $5 and $6 million a year, on a 3 or 4 year deal. However, the Habs also have Scott Gomez, Tomas Kaberle, and Rene Bourque on the roster, and all are players that could very well be exiled to Hamilton of the AHL next season, should it be necessary.

Would Doan be a good addition to the Canadiens? He’d certainly provide second line depth, something sorely lacking in the absence of Gomez, the departure of Andrei Kostitsyn, and the lack of scoring provided, at least thus far, by Lars Eller. Some will say this is a building year and the Canadiens shouldn’t be adding Doan-type players. To me, that’s a fatuous argument.  The NHL is parity central. Every team has a shot. If you can add a player of Doan’s skill and experience, you jump at the chance.

Filed in: | The Upper Canadien | Permalink

Comments

I am beginning to feel like no one wants to play in Pittsburgh.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 07/24/12 at 10:51 PM ET

Chet's avatar

lol. this is a farce.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/24/12 at 11:03 PM ET

If they Wings still have an interest in Doan…I wish they’d reconsider. I don’t like this new trend of players holding up every team in the NHL while they decide where they want to play. Also don’t like the way so many teams are willing to play the game and wait for those players. Wings should just sign Semin. Neither him or Doan are what Detroit really needs so I don’t see much difference. Detroit needs a solid d-man. Not another forward. I guess if they got Doan they could trade a forward or two elsewhere for a d-man…but I still don’t like the way a few players have held up the process this year.

Posted by John from Michigan on 07/24/12 at 11:18 PM ET

It is beginning to become a farce, and I agree, the holding teams hostage bit is ridiculous. However, what I like with Doan is that he’s actually going to visit the cities he’s interested in. Most guys never do that. To take the time to travel, meet with management, etc. shows he’s seriously considering these teams as options.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 07/24/12 at 11:26 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

What a whore. He’s going to the highest bidder. And no doubt he’s getting at least $6 a year. Too many teams with too much salary space. Whowouldathunkit?

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/25/12 at 12:17 AM ET

Nobody’s being held hostage.  Everyone in the league is welcome to decide on their own if they want to be included in the situation.

He’s been with the Winnipeg/Phoenix organization for his entire career and he clearly would love to stay with them, but if he’s going to have to choose a new home for the next couple of years he has damn well earned the right to take his time.  And if he goes to the highest bidder then so what?  He’s earned that right, too.  If he has to leave the one team he’s played his entire career for you can bet your ass he’s either going to go to a sure-fire contender or he’s going to get paid handsomely to relocate and there’s nothing wrong with doing either of those things.

Posted by Garth on 07/25/12 at 01:10 AM ET

Bosephus's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/25/12 at 12:10 AM ET

You said it man.  I get the impression he wants to win too, especially after an entire career on a “losing” team.  With the last two offseasons we’ve had, I’m not sure the Wings are at the top of any FA’s list.  Not holding my breath on this one, despite how badly I want Doan in DET.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 07/25/12 at 02:40 AM ET

Hehehe, unfortunately, most hockey fans are…. Dumb. Sorry, but this is the ugly truth.
Fans are making their opinion on… LAST YEAR’s overall score…. Wow!
FAIL!

Montreal is NOT a looser team… Just fyi, they got to associations final last year…
But that doesnt count… Right ?

Believe it or not, adding SHANE DOAN to the mtl roaster might give the creeps to MANY TEAMS in the nhl, and for the ignorant part or the readers, YES, YOU! Just take a look at their line up, and add a Shane Doan in there… You got that right smarty, he’ll need to speak french….... So what? They would have a solid chance for the Cup!

Chances for him to win at philly, pittsburg, or even (sorry god) with the rangers, and just not THAT much bigger… Yup ! I know !

But you’ll see in 10 months, oh right, you wont remeber much/anything by then, or maybe who won the Stanley Cup ?! Lol…

Posted by Jeff from Canada on 07/25/12 at 02:46 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by Jeff from Canada on 07/25/12 at 01:46 AM ET

Dafuq?

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 07/25/12 at 03:59 AM ET

Bosephus's avatar

Posted by Jeff from Canada on 07/25/12 at 01:46 AM ET

Whatever you’re drinking/smoking… pass that shiz.  raspberry

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 07/25/12 at 06:02 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Jeff from Canada on 07/25/12 at 01:46 AM ET

Outameds?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/25/12 at 08:54 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Jeff, please type in the kings english because we didnt get a word of that.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/25/12 at 10:38 AM ET

1) Silly to blame Doan if he gets big $$. That said, as I blogged a couple of weeks ago, for teams to offer him 4 years 30 million, or elite player money, is equally silly.
2) I can NOT see Doan playing in Montreal. Cousin or no cousin. Too much history with teh Province of Quebec and Mr. Doan to see him willingly go there
3) I also believe Doan will stay in the West where he feels most at home.  Yes, Detroit, you still have a shot!

Posted by Fauxrumors on 07/25/12 at 01:21 PM ET

About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Questions or comments? theuppercanadien@kuklaskorner.com