The Upper Canadien
by The Upper Canadien on 09/22/11 at 07:27 PM ET
A few quick hits after two pre-season games:
- Nathan Beaulieu is the real deal. This guy is fast, crafty, and he did not look out of place against a roster made up largely of NHL players. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a long shot to stick, and it’s only one game, but I think the Habs got a diamond in the rough with their 2011 first round pick.
- Jeff Woywitka was a good signing. He provides steady depth with some offensive upside. Looked good in his first game as a Hab. Should be a solid number 7.
- Peter Budaj is better than Alex Auld. I like his positioning, his steadiness, and I think he’ll be a more solid bet in 15-20 games spelling Price over the year.
- Erik Cole is, as The Cars so aptly put it, “Just What I Needed” - or something like that.
- Brendan Gallagher is a smart, offensively gifted player who will make the NHL.
- Andrei Kostitsyn is going to have a strong year. It’s a win-win every way: if he wants to stick in Montreal, he needs to put up good numbers. If he wants another to deal for him, he needs to put up solid numbers. And if he becomes a UFA and wants to hit the jackpot - he needs to put up solid numbers. He’s motivated, perhaps for the wrong reasons, but he’s motivated. Look for AK46 to have his best year yet.
And a non-Habs related note: I love the transparency in the Brendan Shanahan video. I hope this is an ongoing policy change. The NHL needs to do more of this, i.e. explain itself and its decisions. It will go a long way in heaping to prevent head injuries. Well done Brendan Shanahan.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Upper Canadien
The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.
I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.
Questions or comments? firstname.lastname@example.org