The Upper Canadien

Habs hiring binge continues

Patrice Brisebois, Martin Lapointe, Gerrard Gallant. It never ends in Montreal. If compiling a slew of former NHLers to work for a club is how to win the Stanley Cup, the Habs are close to surpassing the Leafs for major contention. You know a front office has grown exponentially when two guys have been replaced by, say, eight.

So the hirings: not bad. Good names. I’m a bit saddened that Merc Bergevin welcomed Martin Lapointe into the fold. After all, he declined offers to play in Montreal multiple times. If he wouldn’t play for the Habs, why should he have the privilege of working there? Some of this smacks of Bergevin surrounding himself with friends. Friends are often yes men. That leads to bad things, like trades for Scott Gomez. Something to pay attention to as the summer progresses.

Gallant, however: Good hire. Memorial Cup winning coach. Former head coach experience in the NHL. Tough, gritty, smart player. I like it. The other assistant? My bet is that it’s Clement Jodoin, who has been replaced in Hamilton by Sylvain Lefebvre, but I’d still like to see Carbonneau behind the Habs bench again. A Carbo-Gallant tandem supporting Michel Therrien would look really good.

Otherwise, all quiet in Habs land. The draft is coming up, as well all know. Will they deal the #3? Who will they pick? My bet is they keep the pick, and draft Alex Galchenyuk. I’d be very happy with the big centre, however, I could also see the Habs dealing down to get another asset, and nabbing a defenceman like Matthew Dumba. Also not a bad move to consider.

One week until things get much more exciting.

Oh, and in other Habs news, Alex Kovalev wants to come back, ideally with Montreal. Could Kovalev make a good third line addition as a power play specialist? Or would he be a better assistant coach of floating?

Filed in: | The Upper Canadien | Permalink

Comments

HELP WANTED
ENGLISH (speaking) NEED NOT APPLY

Posted by 13 user names on 06/14/12 at 10:07 PM ET

“That leads to bad things, like trades for Scott Gomez.”

made my day!

but yeah, go for a center. they need someone like galchenyuk way more, even though the defense could need some more quality depth too. but then, there’s still free agency. not sure whether paul martin would help or not, but hey, he’s another overpaid guy to trade for wink

Posted by simondesjardins from europe on 06/14/12 at 11:07 PM ET

Habs defence:
Markov
Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Diaz
Weber
Kaberle

Plus prospects:
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Ellis

And so on. They don’t need to draft more d-men. End of story.

And you’re right, Upper Canadien, Lapointe never wanted to play here, so he clearly should never get the privilege of working here.  Christ.  Take your moron pills this morning? That’s as stupid as only francophones can work here.

Oh, and 13User Names?  Gallant doesn’t parle le fran├žais.

Posted by Jean-Luc on 06/15/12 at 09:58 AM ET

To writer,

are you paid to be stupid or is it something you do for free?

Posted by Sean from Montreal on 06/15/12 at 10:26 AM ET

Jean-Luc: moron pills? You don’t think it speaks to character that an individual turned down multiple chances to play for a team, but is willing to take a cushy office job? You’re free to disagree, but I have heard from many folks that feel the same way I do.

As for the defence, it is decent, but there are many holes, even if they’re not apparent.

To Sean,

Generally I’m stupid for free, but you’re welcome to pay me if you’d like.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 06/15/12 at 05:53 PM ET

It was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by 13 user names on 06/16/12 at 12:34 PM ET

About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Questions or comments? theuppercanadien@kuklaskorner.com