The Upper Canadien

Campoli a Hab for $1.75 million

GM PG dips into his cap space to shore up the defence.

But is it a reaction to the status of Andrei Markov, or the underwhelming camp of Yanick Weber?

We’ll know soon enough.

Meanwhile, Campoli brings 21 points in 77 games last season. Let’s just say this: if he is a replacement for Mr. Markov, I’m not sure he’s going to fit the bill. Although he does have a decent shot.

Filed in: | The Upper Canadien | Permalink

Comments

Does this also have something to do with Subban being injured?

Any news on his status or condition?

I think this signing means that Weber, Diaz and Yemelin have been average in camp.

And Campoli is just an above average defenseman…

Posted by Nordique_ on 09/26/11 at 06:34 PM ET

No news on Subban yet, but I think you’re bang on re: Weber, Diaz and Yemelin, though to me Yemelin has looked alright.

As for Campoli, the elephant in the room: should the Habs instead have gone after Bryan McCabe?

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 09/26/11 at 06:45 PM ET

You know what? I think that yes, maybe they should’ve gone after McCabe. For the same price, I’d prefer McCabe.

The thing that worries me the most is Campoli’s bad rep. I know we shouldn’t give too much importance to rumors or stuff you read on the Internet… but, seems like Campoli isn’t a great team guy….

And to be honest 1,75 millions for a guy that was unwanted and sitting at home waiting for call seems a bit high…don’t you think?

Posted by Nordique_ on 09/26/11 at 06:53 PM ET

Nordique: I was a bit surprised at the dollar value. However, that may be what the market is bearing. Remember, he was awarded $2.5 million (I believe) in arbitration, and salaries are way up. As for McCabe, he may want $3 million or more. I still believe, however, that he would have been a better option.

Another point: at least we signed him. The past two years, we’ve dealt a 2nd rounder for Dom Moore and James Wisniewski, two needs we could have filled before the season began. Good on PG for at least being proactive, even if the dollar value is questionable.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 09/26/11 at 08:12 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

He got $2.5 million in arbitration, but it wasn’t an award -

$2.5 million was his figure going into arbitration (what his side planned to argue he was worth). The Hawks settled - i.e. they agreed to an award in the amount Campoli asked for - and then immediately walked away from it.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 09/27/11 at 02:28 AM ET

Da lil Guy: thank you for the clarification.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 09/27/11 at 08:56 PM ET

About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, I've been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I don't believe it's my job to report the news, it's my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But that's the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. I've really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

I've come to Kukla's Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canada's East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, I've spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, I'm a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Questions or comments? theuppercanadien@kuklaskorner.com