The Sabres Observer

Speaking Candidlyy With A Self-Proclaimed Insiderr

He’s been a subject of ridicule, a source of entertainment, and a lightning rod amidst a storm of hockey rumor bloggers that have infested twitter and the internet.  He states that he seeks to avoid attention - but his actions, which have riled fans and writers (and resulted in his being featured in numerous mainstream newspaper articles) suggest the contrary.  And we’ve got him right here on the air for 40 minutes.

Tune in as Hockeyy Insiderr defiantly calls out Darren Dreger along with members of the Buffalo media, shows regret for the Wayne Gretzky incident, responds to criticism from yours truly regarding his claim to have broken the news of trades and free agent signings, and announces when he’ll reveal more clues about his identity.

Listen or download the audio below…

If you’re having trouble with the player, just click here to listen.

Be forewarned that some of the audio is pretty rough, due in part to some apparent microphone issues on his end along with the fact that his French accent quite honestly made it a struggle for me to understand much of what he was saying.  I adjusted for it as best I could but would suggest you turn the bass all the way down on your speakers, if possible.

You should follow me on twitter

Filed in: | The Sabres Observer | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

If anyone followed Dwayne, aka Eklund, in his early day, this HockeyInsiderr guy is mocking him.

Same type of profile, worked for NHL teams, same family issues, etc.

I don’t follow this guy or Dwayne, since I know what Dwayne is all about, but my opinion is this guy is doing exactly what Dwayne did in his early years.

The only thing missing is his journalism degree from McGill, like Dwayne said he had.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/12 at 02:17 PM ET

i was thinking that if legit folks would stop giving this insiderr guy so much of their own attention, he’d fade away.

but i should stop thinking that because here you are, for whatever reason legitimizing him even further with even more attention.

thanks for nothing.

Posted by ryan on 08/20/12 at 03:16 PM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

I respect the point, Ryan, but we aren’t legitimizing him any more than the Toronto Star, Edmonton Journal, or dozens upon dozens of mainstream writers on twitter have.

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 08/20/12 at 03:24 PM ET

Good interview. I hope his 15 minutes are up soon, but anyone who listens to this interview can tell that he is a complete fraud. He basically pulls out every cliche or excuse imaginable and everything on his M.O. just falls in perfectly to give him a mulligan on everything.

If Paul is correct and this is just a clever satire, then yeah pretty funny. But I think maybe it started like that but now clearly the guy is just popping a site up with bloggers of little relevance to try and grab a few hits a la Dwayne.

Posted by Andrew Mack on 08/20/12 at 04:04 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I don’t have a twitter.. pretty much get majority of my news from KK, so bear with me.  Didn’t HockeyInsider make a twitter account and start tweeting random shit?  I don’t recall him being mentioned here as a writer for a major paper, one that vets you to get hired, you give a resume, they follow up, verify, one that has an editor.  What paper does this guy write for?  Or is he just a self-proclaimed hockey expert that made a tweeter handle that people would find or assume is legit?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/20/12 at 05:25 PM ET

goon's avatar

I am shocked that this guy got this far…

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 08/20/12 at 06:26 PM ET

Hilarious! Glad i listened to this. I don’t like giving this clown much air time either, but i thought Dave Davis did a fantastic job with the questions and calling him out. Well done, Dave.

Posted by Lukas Kotecki on 08/21/12 at 02:34 AM ET

A human voice is very distinct. If he’d had all those NHL jobs he claims, somebody from those teams would know his voice.

How could someone make a living and pump out the volume he does? If all those rumors he puts out had a reality basis, he’d have to be making calls constantly. In addition to all the “meetings” he claims.

You’d have to be a little twisted to persist at this for so long, though maybe he has come to believe it is real. Plus, with his prominence, maybe there are some people who actually talk to him. Still, the Gretzky thing revealed what a fraud he is. In trying to explain it away by blaming the guy who duped him, he just showed what a dupe he is.

Posted by DeJordy on 08/21/12 at 12:28 PM ET

It’s funny that you guys are dumbfounded when he simply breaks stories before they come out and he is usually dead on. So whine all you want, his track record speaks for himself. So what if there is some drama attached. I get my news from him and he’s accurate.

Posted by Justin from Portland, OR on 08/21/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Should have ripped him about all Winnipeg Jets posts HockeyyInsiderr has made. Many articles (Jets press releases) printed in the Winnipeg Free Press paper delivered to homes in the morning and posted online yet he posts BREAKING NEWS after its been on my doorstep for over 12-20 hours.

Sidenote: Apart from the actual signings the Jets make,  not a single person has an in on the Winnipeg Jets (Including Lawless). They are by far the most tight lipped organization in the league. Nothing gets out before it’s made official.

Posted by Peter from Winnipeg on 08/22/12 at 04:18 PM ET