The Sabres Observer
by @DaveDavisHockey on 04/25/11 at 03:54 PM ET
Some quick thoughts on the Sabres, for the attention span impaired, going into tomorrow night’s Game 7 in Philadelphia…..
• With all of the venom spewed from Buffalo fans at Tim Connolly over the past few seasons, you’d think right about now they’d be sending Mike Richards thank you cards. You could half-jokingly say it was Connolly’s destiny to be knocked out of the series anyway, either from a jarring hit or from sacrificing himself for the team during a penalty kill by throwing his face in front of a shot from the point. For my money, his work at times with Buffalo having the man (or men) disadvantage has bordered on heroic. So much for the maligned center supposedly not having any character.
• All of this fuss about defenseman Chris Butler deserving to be benched for Game 7 is making me roll my eyes just a bit. He had a rough game, highlighted by his failure to tie up Ville Leino on the overtime goal, but is now really the time to break up the Sabres top defensive pairing? Are all the great things he did early in the series now deemed as meaningless? Butler was even for Sunday’s game while Mike Weber, who had some adventures back there with partner Steve Montador, was a -3. Folks, if you want to bench every guy on the defense who has had rough games in this series then you’ll have Dennis Persson and Corey Fienhage in your lineup on Tuesday night. Good luck with that.
• With all of the problems the Sabres have had moving the puck out of their zone against that relentless Flyers forecheck, my gut tells me that the return of Andrej Sekera to the lineup for Game 7 would be equally as important as the return of Derek Roy.
• For those that watched Game 6 on television, those were supposed to be gold pom-poms the fans at HSBC Arena were waving. Philly fans that were scattered throughout the building were delighted at how orange they looked and even waved them when the Flyers scored. For Sabres President Ted Black’s suggestion box: if the Flyers are back in town for a playoff rematch next season, stick to the white ones.
• Here’s a stat that may or may not knock your socks off: Dating back to 2006-07, 20 of Buffalo’s last 22 playoff games have been decided by one goal, excluding empty-netters. I think it’s safe to say that the veterans who have been with the Sabres that long are battle tested. Too bad most of them are injured and won’t play tomorrow night.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Sabres Observer
Dave Davis has covered the Buffalo Sabres for various NHL accredited websites and newspapers since 2003. He was the senior writer and Sabres correspondent for The Fourth Period, covered hockey for Western New York Sports and Leisure Magazine, and has had articles featured on NHL.com, FOX Sports, Yahoo Sports and in New York Sportscene. Sabres news and notes can be found on his Twitter page.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: [@DaveDavisHockey]