The Sabres Observer

Don’t Hold Your Breath For A Tyler Myers Trade

This morning on Buffalo radio, Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press referred to Tyler Myers as a franchise defenseman with "a really appealing contract."

Those of you outside of Sabres Nation may not realize how many Buffalo fans had a good chuckle when they heard that one.

This is the same defenseman who has needed to spend occasional games in the press box to clear his head.  And that's the same contract that was unappealing enough to some to put Myers on the list of compliance buyout candidates.

Listen to the St. James interview on WGR Sports Radio 550

For the record, I'm against shopping Myers (I stated my case on this a few months ago).  And Sabres GM Tim Murray has made it clear he hasn't done that.

But if the opinion that Myers is a franchise defenseman with a great contract is one shared by Detroit pro scouts and GM Ken Holland, then it sure as heck wouldn't hurt for Murray to give Holland an occasional phone call to see where his head is at.  I just have a hard time believing that their grade on him is that high.

St. James believes the Wings should consider pursuing Myers, Alex Edler or Keith Yandle.  She also thinks that such a deal is possible as long as Anthony Mantha's name is left out of the discussion.

"The {Detroit} defense just isn't as good as others in the Eastern Conference, much less the West.  I think they need to take a look at somebody in Tyler Myers.  He's still only 25.  Many of his best years are ahead of him.  He's got a really appealing contract.  He's the only guy who can look Chara in the eye... unfortunately, for Detroit's sake, if you're going to pick up a franchise defenseman like Myers, or maybe they try to see if they can pry Keith Yandle from Arizona, you're going to have to give up one of your young players.  I don't think they would trade Mantha for pretty much anything, but no doubt the other team would ask for someone like Nyquist or Tatar. or Jurco and a pick and maybe another player as well."

(quote courtesy of WGR Sports Radio 550)

At this point, I don't see this kind of deal taking place.  With Christian Ehrhoff out of the picture, combined with the modest improvement shown by Myers under Ted Nolan, there will likely be too much of a gap between what Buffalo wants and what Detroit will offer.

But a few months in a hockey season can be an eternity.  If one or more of the Sabres' promising young defensemen (Rasmus Ristolainen, Mark Pysyk, Nikita Zadorov, Jake McCabe) have their coming out party, Murray could deem Myers expendable and shift assets by swapping him for a quality young forward.

Purely hypothetical and speculative, and not something I believe will happen, but I didn't think the Sabres would buy out Ehrhoff either.  Stay tuned.

Filed in: | The Sabres Observer | Permalink
  Tags: buffalo+sabres, detroit+red+wings, ken+holland, tim+murray, tyler+myers

Comments

Mistercristo's avatar

Don’t worry, we don’t take her seriously either.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 07/07/14 at 02:02 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Helene St. James is a nincompoop.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/07/14 at 02:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m with you.. I don’t think we need myers and don’t want to give him 20 goals a season for him.  Or a first in next Years draft for that matter.  I’m pisswd we dealt our second

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/14 at 02:46 PM ET

DrD's avatar

Yeah, I think she’s just trying to manufacture something so she has something to write about during the dog days of summer. As a fan, that can be annoying - but from a journalist’s stand point, I get it.

Posted by DrD on 07/07/14 at 02:46 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

HSJ aside, I’d really like to see Myers on my team.  He may have issues with inconsistencies, but he has not been given the opportunity to develop well as a player having been pushed into the NHL at a young age, nor has he had mentors to help him develop.

What’s he worth?  I don’t know.  It’d be a gamble moving players with high potential upside, but trades usually are.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/07/14 at 03:04 PM ET

DrD's avatar

Yeah, I agree with the caveat that he should be looked at as a solid 3-4 guy. Doing this deal based on the idea that he’ll be the next Chara is just nuts. Either Tatar or Jurco and a 3rd rounder. Maybe throw in a 3rd line guy (lots to choose from there)...but that’s as high as I’d go…and I love Tatar btw, I’m just being realistic.

Posted by DrD on 07/07/14 at 03:10 PM ET

Helen is suggesting stupid desperation moves, the Wings don’t need to break the bank to get some third-rate leftovers, yeah let’s trade Nyquist for Joe Schmoe, great idea Helene!

Posted by Bay Area Wings fan on 07/07/14 at 04:35 PM ET

Given likely relative pricing, I would rather see Detroit pursue Byfuglien, Green, or Petry (yes, I know he just signed, it’s a one-year deal that takes him out of limbo, not a commitment by either party) than Myers or Yandle.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/07/14 at 04:47 PM ET

DrD's avatar

I like Byfuglien’s shot - it’s an absolute howitzer and he’s very useful as forward at times, jamming in loose pucks, etc…so yeah, he’d be a useful player, fitness and attitude issues aside. Green - no, too injury-prone, for that reason alone, I wouldn’t touch the guy especially given the cap hit. Petry’s a local kid and probably has a lot of upside.Yandle would upgrade the top four for sure, but I wouldn’t give away the farm to get him. Unfortunately, quality d-men go at a premium these days and aside from a select few (Doughty, Keith, Weber, Suter) they all come with their own issues.

Posted by DrD on 07/07/14 at 05:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Thanks for the Buffalo perspective on this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/07/14 at 05:11 PM ET

I agree that Green’s injury issues would be a concern, but that cap hit’s only for one year, and I assume that his injury history would be factored into the price of acquiring him.

My problem with Yandle is that he’ll be extremely expensive and he’s a lefty.  My problem with Myers is that he’s been inconsistent and we’d be paying for potential/size, not performance—on a night-to-night basis he wouldn’t necessarily be an improvement on whatever we’d have to give up to get him.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/07/14 at 05:12 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

i remember everyone saying that myers was a one hit wonder and everyone saying he was going to be bought out not too long ago lol.  Myers only performs when it comes close to contract time, after that he dissappears.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 07/07/14 at 05:15 PM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

“Thanks for the Buffalo perspective on this.”

Glad to do it.  Hopefully BUF will become relevant sooner rather than later so we’ll have meaningful Wings-Sabres games for us to talk about.

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 07/07/14 at 05:20 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I think the Red Wings will see how the preseason and early part of the season plays out, especially with their younger players. Give the young defense men some ice time and see what they can do. Fans realize the Red Wings are in transition and the young players need to have their feet in the fire to show what they have. Meanwhile if a good trade opportunity comes along during this time, I’m confident Ken Holland while make a trade without mortgaging the future.

Posted by bigfrog on 07/07/14 at 07:01 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I think the Red Wings will see how the preseason and early part of the season plays out, especially with their younger players. Give the young defense men some ice time and see what they can do. Fans realize the Red Wings are in transition and the young players need to have their feet in the fire to show what they have. Meanwhile if a good trade opportunity comes along during this time, I’m confident Ken Holland will make a trade without mortgaging the future.

Posted by bigfrog on 07/07/14 at 07:02 PM ET

d ca's avatar

6’8”, right-handed, Calder winning defensemen don’t grow on trees. It take something to get them particularly if they would be under contract for 5 years.

Give up one of the two undersized Red Wing forwards that have shown goal scoring skills isn’t ideal, but again it takes something to get something.

Blah blah blah Jarnkrok and a 2nd round….yeah the guy that got passed by Glendening on the depth chart during the last year. Yeah, guess what the guy the Wings took in the 3rd round when they traded up was going to be their 2nd round pick.

If they change the draft to a true lottery and the Wings miss the playoffs than it could be valuable…then again it could be in the 20’s again next year too and those players have a 30% failure rate (to play meaningfully in the NHL). Those odds only increase into the 2nd round.

Posted by d ca on 07/07/14 at 10:32 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Given the lone fact that the Sabres lost Ehrhoff, I don’t think they trade Myers. And if they chose to do so, it wouldn’t be until the trade deadline.

But if you are going to trade away a guy like Nyquist, Tatar or Jurco, why would you do it for someone who is a year or two away from being considered a “reclamation project”? Yes he’s young, and yes he’s had flourishes of excellence… but so did Michael Del Zotto, and look where he’s at.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/08/14 at 03:21 AM ET