The Sabres Observer
by @DaveDavisHockey on 06/29/11 at 08:41 PM ET
As a public service to the attention span impaired, here are some quick hits on the Sabres heading into free agency weekend:
• GM Darcy Regier has stated that the Sabres will be looking to land a center and a defenseman from the unrestricted free agent market. He doesn’t expect much luck with the former and hinted that acquiring an impact center will more likely happen via the trade route.
• If Regier has to work out a trade to get a top center, we may have been leaked a hint of who is at the top of his wish list. The Buffalo News reports that a source revealed that the Sabres offered Derek Roy and top prospect Zack Kassian to Ottawa for Jason Spezza at the trade deadline but were rejected. This could explain the talk from Regier and owner Terry Pegula in early March about how the Sabres almost landed a “bigger fish” but that it “didn’t work out.” This storyline may not yet be closed so stay tuned.
• Speaking of the News, one writer proclaimed that the Flyers are insane to be considering offering Steven Stamkos $100M. Meanwhile, another scribe at the same paper is suggesting that the Sabres prepare a $120M offer sheet for the Tampa Bay superstar. I guess it wouldn’t be a shocker if they accidentally both wore the same color shirts to work today.
• While there’s a lot of talk in town that the Sabres should hotly pursue Brad Richards, I don’t see him coming here. Even with the chains being off, I don’t believe Regier will overpay for him. And as good as Richards is, Conn Smythe trophy and all, he actually has 8 fewer goals over the past 4 years than Derek Roy despite playing 7 more games.
• Sporting News writer Craig Custance assembled his list of the top 25 UFA’s along with teams that are potential destinations. The Sabres and Red Wings are linked to 8 of the 25 players, the Kings to 6, and no other team to more than 5. I think it’s safe to say things have changed in Buffalo.
• Quote from Sabres defenseman Jordan Leopold, during an interview on WGR-550, on former and now current teammate Robyn Regehr: “I would not want to go in the corners with this guy.”
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Sabres Observer
Dave Davis has covered the Buffalo Sabres for various NHL accredited websites and newspapers since 2003. He was the senior writer and Sabres correspondent for The Fourth Period, covered hockey for Western New York Sports and Leisure Magazine, and has had articles featured on NHL.com, FOX Sports, Yahoo Sports and in New York Sportscene. Sabres news and notes can be found on his Twitter page.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: [@DaveDavisHockey]