The Sabres Observer

A Heartfelt Thank You

There's a saying out there that reads "Courage is the power to let go of the familiar."

That would apply to me today. It's been a great ride for these past seven years, but I've informed Paul that I'm moving on to a new adventure beginning this season.

I have to give a big shout-out to the contingent of Sabres fans and media on Twitter who've supported my work and kept the conversation going, even during this rough patch in franchise history. And a heartfelt thank you goes to the readers of this first-rate site, many of whom aren't Sabres fans, for being welcoming and accepting what I tried to do here.

My plan to make this work was simply to pour out my true feelings on the world of Sabres hockey as intelligently as possible. I was praised by some and scorned by others for my position as a Ryan Miller apologist. I defended the Buffalo fan base during the tumultuous tanking era. A few scoops were landed.

There aren't enough good things to say about Paul, who has so much respect in the hockey community. I can tell you first-hand that it's 100% deserved. In a social media world with a bit too much trolling, clickbait and phony trade rumors, you won't find anyone with a higher level of ethics and integrity.

As far as my future goes, I've got something big lined up, which I'll be revealing in the next couple weeks.

Au revoir, for now.

Filed in: | The Sabres Observer | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

Good luck! I didnt comment too often, but I appreciate reading content about other teams.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/01/17 at 11:12 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Good luck with all your future ventures! I may not have commented on posts here very often, but I definitely enjoyed reading the Sabres perspective!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/01/17 at 11:19 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Looking forward to your work Dave.  I would respond in more detail but woke up yesterday with lower back pain, muscle related, so at the moment, just taking it as easy as possible.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/01/17 at 11:23 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

cheers!

Posted by Tripwire32 from the binary digisphere on 08/01/17 at 11:42 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Sad to hear this - I always enjoyed your detailed, well-thought out pieces.  You always went to great lengths to exhibit different perspectives, which is all too unique in the internet world.

Best of luck in your future endeavors; I hope we can continue to hear from you.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/01/17 at 11:49 AM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

Oh my gosh, Paul, no worries. Just rest—you work too hard!

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 08/01/17 at 11:49 AM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

Best of luck in your future endeavors; I hope we can continue to hear from you.

Thanks for this. You’ll definitely be hearing from me.

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 08/01/17 at 11:50 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Keep your skates sharp and your stick on the ice, Dave!

... and this:

“There aren’t enough good things to say about Paul, ..., you won’t find anyone with a higher level of ethics and integrity.”

100% agree

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/01/17 at 12:34 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I enjoyed your articles Dave. They were a pleasure to read, and seeing information on another NHL team.  Good luck.

Posted by bigfrog on 08/01/17 at 09:13 PM ET

About The Sabres Observer

Dave Davis has covered the Buffalo Sabres for various NHL accredited websites and newspapers since 2003.  He was the senior writer and Sabres correspondent for The Fourth Period, covered hockey for Western New York Sports and Leisure Magazine, and has had articles featured on NHL.com, FOX Sports, Yahoo Sports and in New York Sportscene.  Sabres news and notes can be found on his Twitter page.

2014-15 NHL Reverse Standings