The Sabres Observer
It took awhile for Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers to recover from a poor start this past season. In late January his -14 was the worst plus/minus on the team, which resulted in some extra time on the bench. Fortunately for the Sabres, Myers came back strong and literally turned it around with a +14 rating for the remainder of the regular season.
Assistant coach James Patrick revealed Wednesday on internet radio show “Blueshirt Underground” his feelings about what went wrong during the first half of the season for the 2010 Calder Trophy winner:
“He tried to get bigger [during the summer] and he ate a lot, lifted, trained hard, but it was all about getting bigger. At the end [of the season] he confessed, he said, ‘I just felt terrible. I felt sluggish. I felt heavy.’ That kind of hurt him at the start of the year until he got back to his playing weight of the year before.”
Those comments can be heard at around 57:00 of the podcast. Patrick also discussed the Christian Ehrhoff signing and what traits are important for a defenseman on the power play (47:00), and even dropped a subtle hint that the Sabres were at one point interested in acquiring Kevin Bieksa and/or Hal Gill (60:00).
“If Ehrhoff and Leino don’t turn out to be quite as good as their salaries suggest, the same guys who are giving Sabres fans so much hope now could be millstones around the Sabres payroll once they are good enough to contend.”
- Ken Campbell of The Hockey News
“Dear Mr. Campbell - Just wondering if you could elaborate on the financial downside for deep-pocketed owners taking chances with high risk/reward contracts, such as was the case with deals for Wade Redden, Cristobal Huet and Michael Nylander. I ask this because when checking capgeek.com for team payrolls this past season for New York, Chicago and Washington, these millstones were nowhere to be found. Sincerely, Dave”
Go ahead, hockey world. Tell us in Buffalo how our owner should be committed for agreeing to these crazy contracts. We can take it. Not that it means anything to you, but this franchise has suffered far too long for us to be overly concerned about what you think.
After enduring years of heartbreak watching the vultures fly in to swoop up Michael Peca, Dominik Hasek, Jay McKee, Daniel Briere, Chris Drury, Brian Campbell, Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman with contracts reaching varying levels of absurdity, fate has apparently concluded that it’s finally time for the Sabres to become takers rather than givers.
Via Bob McKenzie tweet,
Christian Ehrhoff has agreed to terms on a contract with the Buffalo Sabres.
UPDATE 6:37 pm: Bob McKenzie awaiting confirmation that this is a 10 year, $40 million deal.
UPDATE 6:39 pm: Agreement to terms with Ehrhoff confirmed by the Sabres.
From the Sabres Edge blog,
Christian Ehrhoff is conducting a fact-finding expedition today in Germany, trying to learn all he can about Buffalo and the Sabres, General Manager Darcy Regier said.
Ehrhoff, one of the premier defensemen set to enter Friday’s free agent market, has contacted former teammates with ties to the Sabres to learn more about Buffalo, which acquired his rights via trade Wednesday night.
“So far, it’s been positive,” Regier said in HSBC Arena. “He has initiated his own discovery on Buffalo. He has played with some players, he’s contacted a couple of former teammates, Mike Grier, he’s played with Craig Rivet, he’s played with some other guys, Jochen [Hecht] as well in international arena. He’s doing that work, and his wife is involved with him. Kim and Terry [Pegula] are involved, Lindy [Ruff] and myself. So far it’s been positive.”
As a public service to the attention span impaired, here are some quick hits on the Sabres heading into free agency weekend:
• GM Darcy Regier has stated that the Sabres will be looking to land a center and a defenseman from the unrestricted free agent market. He doesn’t expect much luck with the former and hinted that acquiring an impact center will more likely happen via the trade route.
From the Sabres:
BUFFALO, NY (June 29, 2011) – Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract with forward Nathan Gerbe.
Gerbe (5’5”, 178 lbs., 7/24/1987) scored 31 points (16+15) in 64 games for the Sabres last season, including 15 goals in Buffalo’s final 40 games. The 23-year-old native of Oxford, Michigan, set a new Sabres franchise record for fastest two goals by one player when he scored two goals just five seconds apart on January 21 against the New York Islanders.
Gerbe, the 2008 AHL Rookie of the Year, was Buffalo’s fifth-round selection (142nd overall) in the 2005 Entry Draft.
While dollar figures haven’t been disclosed, WGR-550 is reporting that it’s a three-year deal.
UPDATE 12:53pm: Per TSN, deal is three-years, $4.3 million with an average cap hit of $1.43 million per season.
From Scott Cruickshank of The Calgary Herald,
“They [Jordan Leopold, Rhett Warrener, Steve Montador] said how much they really enjoyed the city, the people, raising a family in Buffalo,” says Regehr, who, with wife Kristina, has one young son and another child due next month. “These are guys that I trust. There’s no reason for them to lie. They didn’t say anything bad whatsoever. That says a lot.
“It’s not a great downtown, I know that. It’s what you compare it to. I grew up in a town in the middle of Saskatchewan (Rosthern), 1,500 or 1,600 people. Anything — well, almost anything — is better than that.”
The Sabres had heavily courted Regehr. Lengthy talks were initiated by owner Terry Pegula, by general manager Darcy Regier, by coach Lindy Ruff.
“You could just tell that they were extremely committed.”
From Paul Hamilton of WGR-550,
We hear nothing for most of today and then we get to the arena and the misinformation starts flowing. The Fan 960 comes out with “Trade is dead, Regehr won’t waive his no trade, but other teams still in play.” The problem with our business is too many people are trying to be first and not worried about being right. Almost immediately the station starts backtracking.
Next, one of the most respected hockey writers Erik Duhatschek writes Regehr has not closed the door on the deal.
continue to follow the strange tale of how this deal went down.
Via tweet from The FAN 960 in Calgary,
According to @fan960boomer, Robyn Regehr has declined to waive his no-trade to go to Buffalo. Other teams are still in play.
Update 6:59 pm: As Paul alluded to in comments and via Pierre LeBrun tweet:
Am told Regehr hasn’t totally closed the door on Buffalo, but wants to see what other teams are interested in him before making final call.
Two days after being informed of a trade by the Calgary Flames to the Buffalo Sabres, defenseman Robyn Regehr is expected to decide whether or not to waive his no-trade clause to come to Buffalo before the first round of tonight’s NHL Draft in Minnesota.
After doing some due diligence and speaking with Sabres GM Darcy Regier and owner Terry Pegula last night, Regehr decided to sleep on it. It would be reasonable to expect that the veteran defenseman sought consultation from former teammates Jordan Leopold, Steve Montador and Toni Lydman.
On the FAN 960 in Calgary this morning, media folks who have a working relationship with the team said they believe Regehr will waive his NMC today, but whether or not he comes to Buffalo depends on what other offers may be out there. Word is there are 3-4 other teams, two of them being San Jose and Washington, that are interested in pouncing on an opportunity to land Regehr should he turn down the Sabres.
Buffalo is obviously looking to fill a major hole in the leadership department on the blue line, and there may not be anyone more excited about the thought of playing with Regehr than a certain recent Calder Trophy winner who grew up idolizing him.
UPDATE 12:58 pm: TSN’s Darren Dreger says Regehr is still undecided and we may not know the outcome of this today.
About The Sabres Observer
Dave Davis has covered the Buffalo Sabres for various NHL accredited websites and newspapers since 2003. He was the senior writer and Sabres correspondent for The Fourth Period, covered hockey for Western New York Sports and Leisure Magazine, and has had articles featured on NHL.com, FOX Sports, Yahoo Sports and in New York Sportscene. Sabres news and notes can be found on his Twitter page.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: [@DaveDavisHockey]