The Sabres Observer
Via Bob McKenzie tweet,
Christian Ehrhoff has agreed to terms on a contract with the Buffalo Sabres.
UPDATE 6:37 pm: Bob McKenzie awaiting confirmation that this is a 10 year, $40 million deal.
UPDATE 6:39 pm: Agreement to terms with Ehrhoff confirmed by the Sabres.
From the Sabres Edge blog,
Christian Ehrhoff is conducting a fact-finding expedition today in Germany, trying to learn all he can about Buffalo and the Sabres, General Manager Darcy Regier said.
Ehrhoff, one of the premier defensemen set to enter Friday’s free agent market, has contacted former teammates with ties to the Sabres to learn more about Buffalo, which acquired his rights via trade Wednesday night.
“So far, it’s been positive,” Regier said in HSBC Arena. “He has initiated his own discovery on Buffalo. He has played with some players, he’s contacted a couple of former teammates, Mike Grier, he’s played with Craig Rivet, he’s played with some other guys, Jochen [Hecht] as well in international arena. He’s doing that work, and his wife is involved with him. Kim and Terry [Pegula] are involved, Lindy [Ruff] and myself. So far it’s been positive.”
As a public service to the attention span impaired, here are some quick hits on the Sabres heading into free agency weekend:
• GM Darcy Regier has stated that the Sabres will be looking to land a center and a defenseman from the unrestricted free agent market. He doesn’t expect much luck with the former and hinted that acquiring an impact center will more likely happen via the trade route.
From the Sabres:
BUFFALO, NY (June 29, 2011) – Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract with forward Nathan Gerbe.
Gerbe (5’5”, 178 lbs., 7/24/1987) scored 31 points (16+15) in 64 games for the Sabres last season, including 15 goals in Buffalo’s final 40 games. The 23-year-old native of Oxford, Michigan, set a new Sabres franchise record for fastest two goals by one player when he scored two goals just five seconds apart on January 21 against the New York Islanders.
Gerbe, the 2008 AHL Rookie of the Year, was Buffalo’s fifth-round selection (142nd overall) in the 2005 Entry Draft.
While dollar figures haven’t been disclosed, WGR-550 is reporting that it’s a three-year deal.
UPDATE 12:53pm: Per TSN, deal is three-years, $4.3 million with an average cap hit of $1.43 million per season.
From Scott Cruickshank of The Calgary Herald,
“They [Jordan Leopold, Rhett Warrener, Steve Montador] said how much they really enjoyed the city, the people, raising a family in Buffalo,” says Regehr, who, with wife Kristina, has one young son and another child due next month. “These are guys that I trust. There’s no reason for them to lie. They didn’t say anything bad whatsoever. That says a lot.
“It’s not a great downtown, I know that. It’s what you compare it to. I grew up in a town in the middle of Saskatchewan (Rosthern), 1,500 or 1,600 people. Anything — well, almost anything — is better than that.”
The Sabres had heavily courted Regehr. Lengthy talks were initiated by owner Terry Pegula, by general manager Darcy Regier, by coach Lindy Ruff.
“You could just tell that they were extremely committed.”
From Paul Hamilton of WGR-550,
We hear nothing for most of today and then we get to the arena and the misinformation starts flowing. The Fan 960 comes out with “Trade is dead, Regehr won’t waive his no trade, but other teams still in play.” The problem with our business is too many people are trying to be first and not worried about being right. Almost immediately the station starts backtracking.
Next, one of the most respected hockey writers Erik Duhatschek writes Regehr has not closed the door on the deal.
continue to follow the strange tale of how this deal went down.
Via tweet from The FAN 960 in Calgary,
According to @fan960boomer, Robyn Regehr has declined to waive his no-trade to go to Buffalo. Other teams are still in play.
Update 6:59 pm: As Paul alluded to in comments and via Pierre LeBrun tweet:
Am told Regehr hasn’t totally closed the door on Buffalo, but wants to see what other teams are interested in him before making final call.
Two days after being informed of a trade by the Calgary Flames to the Buffalo Sabres, defenseman Robyn Regehr is expected to decide whether or not to waive his no-trade clause to come to Buffalo before the first round of tonight’s NHL Draft in Minnesota.
After doing some due diligence and speaking with Sabres GM Darcy Regier and owner Terry Pegula last night, Regehr decided to sleep on it. It would be reasonable to expect that the veteran defenseman sought consultation from former teammates Jordan Leopold, Steve Montador and Toni Lydman.
On the FAN 960 in Calgary this morning, media folks who have a working relationship with the team said they believe Regehr will waive his NMC today, but whether or not he comes to Buffalo depends on what other offers may be out there. Word is there are 3-4 other teams, two of them being San Jose and Washington, that are interested in pouncing on an opportunity to land Regehr should he turn down the Sabres.
Buffalo is obviously looking to fill a major hole in the leadership department on the blue line, and there may not be anyone more excited about the thought of playing with Regehr than a certain recent Calder Trophy winner who grew up idolizing him.
UPDATE 12:58 pm: TSN’s Darren Dreger says Regehr is still undecided and we may not know the outcome of this today.
We’ve already been told that the Buffalo Sabres under Terry Pegula won’t let financial considerations impede their pursuit of greatness, but specifically to what lengths are they willing to go?
With the recent announcement that the NHL salary cap is expected to be at or near $64M, teams in markets larger than Buffalo are certainly licking their chops for the chance to grab some big name talent. The past two seasons have proven that landing a free agent prize like Zdeno Chara or Marian Hossa can help lead sooner or later to a Stanley Cup parade.
Just in case Sabres fans needed any reaffirmation of the commitment of their team not to be left out of the party, what we heard from team president Ted Black at Thursday night’s Sabres Blogger Summit was of a similar tone to what’s been promised since his first day on the job.
I don’t believe that Sabres fans realistically expect the team to sign Brad Richards or trade for Jeff Carter, but I think folks would be excited at the prospect of Darcy Regier at least taking a legitimate stab at landing one of these guys as the top line center the Sabres desperately need. If nothing else, the effort would confirm to the rest of the league that Buffalo really means business.
Being in a hypothetical mood, I got specific with Black and asked if he would be open to going as high as a nine- or ten-year contract commitment to get a franchise player.
There’s some talk in the local media that the Sabres might or should consider getting out from under the final year of the contract of forward Brad Boyes, but I’m not buying it.
His productivity with the Sabres during the regular season would put him on pace for 20 goals and 55 points over a full campaign. Those stats would’ve made Boyes the second leading scorer on the team. And having one stinker playoff series against the Flyers to me just isn’t enough for Darcy Regier to give up on him.
Take a look at how Drew Stafford performed this past season in his contract year. He had a disappointing playoff series himself but certainly had a lot to do with the team’s turnaround that got them there in the first place.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to project Boyes as a 20-25 goal guy this season. He’s already done better than that three times in his career, and age-wise he’s still on the good side of 30. The discussion about a buyout to avoid paying $4M for this kind of player sounds like silly talk.
The only Sabres buyout candidates that would seem to make any sense are Jochen Hecht ($3M salary) and Shaone Morrisonn ($2.075M). I’ll be mildly surprised if Buffalo goes that route with either of them.
About The Sabres Observer
Dave Davis has covered the Buffalo Sabres for various NHL accredited websites and newspapers since 2003. He was the senior writer and Sabres correspondent for The Fourth Period, covered hockey for Western New York Sports and Leisure Magazine, and has had articles featured on NHL.com, FOX Sports, Yahoo Sports and in New York Sportscene. Sabres news and notes can be found on his Twitter page.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: [@DaveDavisHockey]