The Sabres Observer
From Mike Harrington of The Sabres Edge (Buffalo News) blog,
Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff left practice early today in First Niagara Center after taking a scary fall in the wake of a collision with defenseman Jordan Leopold.
Leopold was working in a 1-on-1 drill with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and barreling into Ruff from behind. Ruff went airbone and landed hard on the ice, letting out a scream as his body crumpled that echoed through the empty arena.
Working under a salary cap requires an NHL GM to utilize his value investing skills. On the worst scoring team in the Eastern Conference, which Sabres forwards are delivering the most bang for the buck? Who is the most overpaid?
From Sabres beat reporter Paul Hamilton of WGR-550,
Right after Pat Kaleta scored into the empty net Tuesday in Montreal to ice the game, he did his arm pumping goal celebration down the slot. Max Pacioretty took exception and started talking trash as he does all game. His target this time was Paul Gaustad. Pacioretty asked him “Where’s Lucic” with Gaustad countering “Where’s Chara” in reference to the hit Chara put on Pacioretty into the glass last year that started a near riot in the city of Montreal and almost ended his career.
Now the city’s fans are tougher than their hockey team because Chara is still waiting to be challenged by a Canadien. Many talk about how soft the Sabres are, but they can’t hold a candle to this bunch.
Not even a year removed from Terry Pegula’s purchase of the Buffalo Sabres and the most ballyhooed press conference here since Jim Kelly rode a limo into town 25 years earlier, the honeymoon is just about over.
But if you want to play the blame game so badly that you’re looking to the man at the top as the biggest reason for this season’s failures, then you’re just trying too hard.
Although Pegula has gotten his due criticism for the ill-advised gamble on Ville Leino, some misguided folks are trying to convince you that he should be vilified for much more than that.
[A trade] will be the next move for the Buffalo Sabres if Darcy Regier has his way. I’ve talked to other teams around the league over the last week. Regier is doing his homework. He’s talking trade with teams. What he’d like to do is move a top 6 forward in return for a top 6 forward. Easier said than done. Drew Stafford, Derek Roy, Brad Boyes - those are names that I’ve been told are in play for the Buffalo Sabres. Not every team in the league is going to want to move a top 6 for a top 6, but that’s what he’s trying to do.
The Sabres currently sit in 11th place in the Eastern Conference with a 19-21-5 record and are 7 points out of a playoff position.
One year ago today, the Sabres were in a 19-20-5 hole following an ugly Saturday night loss to the New York Islanders. They were 8 points out of a playoff spot at the time, but there was still some optimism that Buffalo had a run in them.
Sure enough, the team that some were ready to peg as players in the Ryan Nugent-Hopkins lottery ended up coming within 10 minutes of knocking the Philadelphia Flyers out of the playoffs.
It’s been an identical underwhelming 44 game ride to start the 2011-12 campaign, but these are not your older brother’s 19-20-5 Buffalo Sabres. With a brutal road schedule on tap for this week starting tonight in Detroit, combined with everything else that’s gone wrong during this nightmare of a season, the playoffs are looking like a pipe dream.
During their dispute with DISH Network in November 2010 over fees for broadcasting Sabres games, MSG Networks Executive Vice President and General Manager Dan Ronayne had this to say: “Every other operator is paying fair market rates, while they seek some sort of special treatment.”
Fast forward to January 2012 and MSG’s feud with Time Warner Cable, and logic will lead you to conclude that Ronayne apparently believes that fair market rates have gone up 53% in only 14 months.
From The Buffalo News,
“What everybody is missing is that I’ve been carrying around 167 man games,” [Pegula] said by telephone Thursday evening. “Forget about the season. I’m talking about the last 25 games. We’ve had 18 players go down. It’s like a merry-go-round every night. You look on the ice and what are your defensive pairs tonight? Hell, who knows? Who’s healthy?
“I think what’s important is the number of guys. You can have 167 man games with four, five, six guys out for a long period. Eighteen? Cut me a break. I told Darcy Regier one time, ‘If I was you, I would be afraid to get on the plane.’ “
It would be foolish for this Ryan Miller apologist to say that the former elite goaltender has played well this season, because he hasn’t. The Buffalo defense, which was supposed to be a lot better after the offseason upgrades, has had way more than its share of breakdowns. But we all keep hearing about how the NHL is now first and foremost a scoring league.
With tonight’s 2-0 loss to Toronto, the Sabres have scored two goals or less in eight of their past ten games. These forwards, save Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville, are gripping the sticks so hard that they look like they could miss the ocean shooting from the edge of the beach.
If teams are calling Darcy Regier about Derek Roy and/or Drew Stafford, there has to be little doubt that he’s listening. For better or worse, past history suggests that the effort to move them may not be as strong right now as it might be around trade deadline time. Roy in particular has just about worn out his Buffalo welcome in Tim Connolly-like proportions.
If Anaheim is really planning on unloading Ryan Getzlaf, I’d like to think that Regier is willing to push and shove his way to the front of the line with both roster players and prospects in tow. The Sabres’ GM has hinted that he wants to see the injured players return before he makes any major moves. But with continued injuries and ailments (Lindy Ruff said postgame that Vanek’s absence from most of tonight’s contest was due to food poisoning), and what looks like some uninspired play on the ice, patience may no longer be a luxury.
Words from Lindy Ruff this morning, via WGR-550, regarding scrapping his goalie rotation to give Ryan Miller the vast majority of the work:
“I haven’t got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he’s feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I’m going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Jhonas (Enroth), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we’ve got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it.”
Good on Ruff for doing this. It’s hard to picture the Sabres having a chance to be any kind of threat in the East without a healthy and productive Ryan Miller in net. The Michigan native this season is 10-10-2 with a 3.05 GAA and a .900 save percentage.
About The Sabres Observer
Dave Davis has covered the Buffalo Sabres for various NHL accredited websites and newspapers since 2003. He was the senior writer and Sabres correspondent for The Fourth Period, covered hockey for Western New York Sports and Leisure Magazine, and has had articles featured on NHL.com, FOX Sports, Yahoo Sports and in New York Sportscene. Sabres news and notes can be found on his Twitter page.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: [@DaveDavisHockey]